Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

MegaSquirt or Link

Hey guys,

Going to do a serious turbo build on my 2.7 now. So would you guys recommend either a megasquirt v2.2 or a link g3 ecu for it.

I know john has had dealings with MS on his 2.7 build would be keen to know how hard it is to tune etc ad weather or not local tuners could tune it well i.e NZ EFI.

Cheers

From NZEFI's site

"While we have considerable experience with many different brands of engine management systems, for applications requiring custom tuning using an aftermarket system, we prefer to use one of the following brands:

Link G2/G3/G4 (these are a quantum leap from their old G1 systems)

ViPEC

Motec (not to be confused with Microtech)

HKS F-Con V Pro

Apexi Power FC"

http://www.nzefi.co.nz/services.php

I think Spec performance and RE sinclair have alot of experience with Link aswell, theres a new place called "Racefab.co.nz" i think? he used to work at Spec, Don't know if they do tuning or just fab work,

I'd say it depends on how much you are going to do yourself.

If your going to get NZEFI or where ever to do it then I'd go Link. Having said that, just pop in or ring them and have a chat. The guys at NZEFI are good sorts and know their stuff.

Put it this way, If I were to do it again the only thing different I would have done was go with a LINK ECU over the Megasquirt.

Yo dude, I researched turbo m20b25's for AGES prior to deciding on my current heart.

Put it this way.

I never felt 100% comfortable that someone managed to get one going, reliabily and for a long time on a megasquirt.

Add that to the fact we have local support for the Link and you've got a fairly strong case.

Choose whatever your tuner likes (ie - see answers above) - if they save time tuning it, you save money. I reckon a Link G4 - worth it over a G3 for the data logging.

Looking forward to this project :) Do you require a Holset turbo?

Choose whatever your tuner likes (ie - see answers above) - if they save time tuning it, you save money. I reckon a Link G4 - worth it over a G3 for the data logging.

Looking forward to this project :) Do you require a Holset turbo?

Details of spoken Holset turbo?? PM me if you like

The fact you're asking makes me think Link. Once I had the bugs sussed MS never let me down but I was happy enough to play around with it and wanted to see what it was all about. If you just want a finished product that works I'd go Link. Will most likely be cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

Hey Sam

I would go the link.

The one in Rileys car could have been installed better but they are easy to wire in and lots of support for them.

I have had a good look at the wiring look and how they are installed and it totally gets my vote.

The software is nice and simple to use also

Phone up the guys at NZ EFI I found them very good to deal with even if you only ask questions and don't but it from them.

If you like spending money, go Link.

If you want to learn tuning theory and have a bit of a challenge get a MS.

I never felt 100% comfortable that someone managed to get one going, reliabily and for a long time on a megasquirt.

What?? Both the Link and MS use the same techniques to deliver air,fuel and spark to your engine. Both have data logging and their feature set is almost identical.

One of the major advantages of the MS, is if you want to upgrade components. ie boost control up to 50psi you just remove a component off the board and purchase the upgraded component.

In Link world, you have to purchase a new more expensive ecu. This is called feature lock-in

NB: NZEFI is a Link shop, they will tell you to go Link regardless..

Edited by rds

Gonna go link g4, cause that way i can get full program-ability and then use it again for the Sxx motor in the future as it has individual injector and coil control for up to 12 cylinders :D

One of the major advantages of the MS, is if you want to upgrade components. ie boost control up to 50psi you just remove a component off the board and purchase the upgraded component.

In Link world, you have to purchase a new more expensive ecu.

I know what you're saying, but bad example ---> you only have to buy a 5 bar map sensor for that (and pretty sure you'd need that with the MS too), not a new ECU.

Drawback to MS is that its not proper automotive spec, plus if you can't DIY (and DIY 100%) the price difference to a Link is not enough in my opinion.

What is automotive spec exactly? lol.

My example may of been a touch off in the details but,

http://www.linkecu.com/products/Installati...nsors/mapsensor

You have to buy a complete new unit, not just replace a component

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mapdadd...tion-p-117.html

I agree on the final point thou, if your not willing to DIY then MS isn't really an option. (Unless you have a friend who is an automotive electrician) No matter what ECU you purchase they are all setup with the same inputs and outputs. People just like to stick with what they know.

That map sensor for the MS is US$65. You can get a 5 bar VEMS one for about EUR 50 - not much different. The Link one is expensive though!!

What chew said about automotive spec, plus the loom and quality control.

Link, due to support and ease of tuning knowledge.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/m...-part3-nova.htm

scroll down to where they have the wiring diagram with the photo of the relay board

they are simply that easy to wire up.

and if you buy preassembled and tested, there are few issues.

no more than link i am guessing. (my limited experience with link notwithstanding)

and they can do sequential spark and fuel. depends which version you get.