Sign in to follow this  
fatjoez

does anyone in auckland do tints for tail lights?

So I nabbed myself a 135i at last lol

Just wondering does anyone know of a place in auckland that would do a light smoke tint for the tail lights..

I'm not really keen on one that would involve sticking it on and cutting it while it's on the car itself

(if thats how its done for cars where a precut one isn't available)

If thats the case, would I just be better off buying the precut tints online and getting a design/vinyl shop to put them on for me?

Cheers

Since it's slightly illegal, I wouldn't spray them... I amagine you can't get some new tailights for a 135i for cheap from Ray :D

lol i dont want spray or taillights

Im talking vinyl (or whatever the material is) tint overlay...

Guess given the response I should stick with ordering off ebay lol...

id be surprise if you would find a shop that would do it. they dont want to get a name for themselves doing illegal mods for customers. be like going to a mechanic and asking them to cut your springs.

i did them light enough that they still pass warrents

you know that 13% are virtually black right? or do you mean 87%?

either way, GL finding a shop to do them. best bet if you dont want to use tint spray is to go for the ebay ones

edit: links not working for me. You can get those films in the states because thier laws are a lot less strict than ours

Edited by ethrty320

sorry for the confusion man, forgot everyone says it the other way round lol..

The tints Im talking about on ebay is 13% blocked, 87% light allowed

So in the reverse terms you're thinking about its 87% tint lol which is pretty legal far as I know

So in the reverse terms you're thinking about its 87% tint lol which is pretty legal far as I know

If the ones on ebay are advertised as 13% then theres a good chance that they mean "my" 13% as thats the standard measurement (for want of a better word) around the world. May look lighter in pictures though, quite often Ebay uses use a blanket image for all the different colours and shades the stock

ANY form of tinting on a light, be it a tail-light, brake-light, indicator, or headlight is illegal. No matter what shade it is. It states that VERY clearly in the WoF manual. The only dark lights that are truly legal are aftermarket "tinted" ones that are factory produced in the darker colour. And Like ethrty320 said, i doubt any shop would want to put their name on the line for you.

^ yeah like i said (or did i?) mine are totally blacked out and i still get away with it. the loophole to use is that the tail lights have to be visible from 100m (more or less, i usually brush up on the actual distance before warrents).

Ive got two VTNZ warrents on them. but the law is still the law. its just up to you to find holes to get through the law. follow this at your own risk

Edited by ethrty320

Though I doubt anybody takes it that seriously if it's a light tint like the one above..

This aint nazi germany

You could risk it by finding someone who does not do strict wofs...trouble would be, your insurance would not see it that way if you are in an accident!

I have smoked headlights and I got a WOF the other week.

I have smoked headlights and I got a WOF the other week.

OMG you got a WoF with smoked headlights. That totaly means they must be legal.

Not!

Just because you can get a WoF with them because an inspector doesnt know the manual word for word, does not mean they are legal. Same with retro-fitting HID bulbs into standard housings, some people get away with it but its definitely illegal.

What is the advantage of doing this? Is it supposed to look cool or something?

Chur. Though i did it more because it was the only thing on my car that wasnt black or silver and stood out like a sore thumb

What is the advantage of doing this? Is it supposed to look cool or something?

Helps with torque transfer, why buy snow chains this winter, I fitted mine and traction in the snow was amazing, best winter mod I ever did.

true story.

I had mine fitted by a sign writer, took him a whole day and would have been much easier had we had a hoist.

for anyone else considering yeah it's illegal

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/get-your...ghts-right.html

Tinting

It is illegal to apply any kind of tint film, tint paint or opaque sticker to any lamp which has a function other than decoration (eg non-cosmetic).

That said, I prefer insurance over tints which is why I ain't doin it

OMG you got a WoF with smoked headlights. That totaly means they must be legal.

Not!

Just because you can get a WoF with them because an inspector doesnt know the manual word for word, does not mean they are legal. Same with retro-fitting HID bulbs into standard housings, some people get away with it but its definitely illegal.

Lol, never saw this reply; I never stated it was legal. :rolleyes::lol: I love the internet.

thats only if it causes the crash otherwise you'll be fine :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. Doesnt even need to be a contributing factor.. the fact that you were knowingly driving an unWOFable vehicle would be grounds for them to void your insurance

^thats true. if you have a crash and ur vehicle is inspected by insurance assesor and they find that it was not in a road legal condition at the time, kiss goodbye to insurance, and it doesnt have to be a contributing factor to the crash, just anything that would mean that the vehicle was not currently up to wof standards... insurance companies dont pay out willy nilly.

^thats true. if you have a crash and ur vehicle is inspected by insurance assesor and they find that it was not in a road legal condition at the time, kiss goodbye to insurance, and it doesnt have to be a contributing factor to the crash, just anything that would mean that the vehicle was not currently up to wof standards... insurance companies dont pay out willy nilly.

thats what i just said...