Sign in to follow this  
535er

E34 RB25-DET Project

Hi guys!

Thought I would start this thread & see what sort of feedback I get (hopefully not alot of negative).

Hopefully starting the conversion on my E34 535i soon after I sell the old motor that's currently still in it and other manual boxes I have lying round to try and fund a bit of moola for the project so if anyone wants any, get in touch.

ANYWAYS......yes you seen right, i'm planning on chucking in a RB25DET engine into my 5 series E34 BMW. Have just managed purchasing engine box loom and ECU for just under $2500 so yeh I got a bargain.

Yeh you might be think uh what a d*ck head, but I dont think so. You hear of people putting 1JZ's & rotors into bmw's (INSULT!!), Nissan's are my second best car and I like to be a little different.

Have attached pictures for everyone to look at and appreciate any feedback you may have.

Any welders & fabricaters in the CHCH region that are willing to do a nice job nice and cheap get in touch.

Edit: Threads been moved into the project forum and please resize your photos. Cheers

post-1908-1273128629.jpg

post-1908-1273128638.jpg

post-1908-1273128647.jpg

post-1908-1273128661.jpg

Edited by Nick021

good luck man! will be good to see something like this around chch!

good luck man! will be good to see something like this around chch!

Thanks Andrew, hopefully you will see me driving round in the next few months <_<

Good luck with the project. Will be following with interest :)

Good luck with the project. Will be following with interest :)

Cheers Ian, it's going to be a fustrating road but will eventually get there

Guest Simon*

Cool

Nice to see some good E34 projects going on currently. Yours, Ian's 540 manual swap and the lightweight V12 ubersaloon! :D

Sounds like a sweet project.

I have a mate who is a Nissan guru but doesn't lilke BMW's and knows some good people who do some good work. I can hit him up to see if wants to take on some work for you?

Cool

Nice to see some good E34 projects going on currently. Yours, Ian's 540 manual swap and the lightweight V12 ubersaloon! :D

cheers man :D. Yeh was reading up on the v12 conversion last night, very impressed by it n hope it goes well for him.

Hoping it goes well for me at the same time!

Sounds like a sweet project.

I have a mate who is a Nissan guru but doesn't lilke BMW's and knows some good people who do some good work. I can hit him up to see if wants to take on some work for you?

not alot of people do like BMW's lol

Any help would be welcomed especially fabrication side of things

Nice project , I will be checking for updates :)

Nice project , I will be checking for updates :)

Thanks Ollie

RB+E34=WIN

nice to see another good project.

personaly id stick to bmw motors but hey im love my nissans too so best of both worlds should be interesting. an if ya get sick of it vk45de?(Nissan Titan v8) or as we say on snz de+r(supercharged :ph34r: )

not alot of people do like BMW's lol

Yeah, BMWs are sh*t..

Has potential. GL.

Certainly sounds different! Ive heard of RBs in E30s, but E34s are pretty special arent they? :P

hey man take the original m30(535) motor and slap a big turbo on the side of that its alot easier less fab work to do. im in the middle of doing a m30 turbo into my e30(my build threads on here), but good on you for wanting to be different it would be a cool to see how it runs :D theres people making over 400rwhp with a chipped ecu

a certain cornering style springs to mind....

something abit like this...

anyway good project... will like to see how it goes.

post-1845-1277721018.jpg

Here are some latest pics.

Vehicle is in the shop right now getting mounts etc made, will have pics of this stage very soon.

Again comments appreciated

post-1908-1280467835.jpg

post-1908-1280467846.jpg

post-1908-1280467856.jpg

post-1908-1280467863.jpg

post-1908-1280467877.jpg

post-1908-1280467887.jpg

post-1908-1280467893.jpg

post-1908-1280467902.jpg

Another update guys on the 25DET project.

It's coming along very nicely & went in almost without a hitch.

I had suspicions that the steering box will get in the way of the oil filter/cooler & oil sender, I was right.

So have to get a 45/90 degree adapter for the oil sender & an adapter plate that will screw onto where the oil filter sits, & will allow me to use a remote mount oil filter kit.

Had to take turbo off to get the engine in due to the position of the brake booster BUT may get the turbo back on from going underneath the car so that's a bonus.

Gearbox also mounted nicely & new cross member is done. During the process we noticed the centre bearing was completely shot but managed to get a new one for an amazingly cheap $68.60.

Driveshaft is still work in progress, got to cut then weld Nissan yoke & then balance.

My plans are to use a front facing plenum with a 80mm throttle body, alloy intercooler piping instead of stainless steel (not as bling but saves cracking in the future), intercooler in front of radiator instead of down bottom which will save me having to cut into the bumper (stealthed :D).

In the future I will look at custom headers and bigger turbo, but if I feel the need to do it now while i'm doing everything else I will.

SO thats about it for now, I welcome comments for this stage of the project

post-1908-1281750120.jpg

post-1908-1281750135.jpg

post-1908-1281750141.jpg

post-1908-1281750148.jpg

post-1908-1281750154.jpg

post-1908-1281750160.jpg

i like it alot . goods**t man. oh and id invest in an LSD in a little while if i was you..

Thanks nick!

It's giving me goosebumps looking at it lol

Yes looking at one atm for $850 but unsure of the ratio ill need at this stage, sow ill have to do some googling.

Unsure how long the old open diff will last with the new heart transplant :P

Just adding onto my last info, The engine cross member didn't need to be modified. The sump was close to that of the E34's!

a certain cornering style springs to mind....

something abit like this...

anyway good project... will like to see how it goes.

O yes it will be doing that, not sure if the old open diff will take that much abuse from the power of the 25DET