Sign in to follow this  
mattgoldsbro

Show us your lowered E36

Just lowered mine tonight, bought secondhand kings & BMW struts from Ray(unsure of app but out of a 325i apparently, I am sure the piston rod was narrower than my 328i std maybe not. The bumpstops and dustcover was in better nick so hopefully or possibly less mileage. In anycase, was better than what I had before, got an alignment and its perfect for what I wanted, which was just a smidgen less gap and just get a trolley jack underneath the front rubber platforms with a bit of shoving. No difference in ride comfort, if anything its better, seems quieter. I left the rear alone.

Wheels/tyres - 17x8 style 42's/ 245/40R 225/45F

Springs/shocks - Kings low KBFL-20/BMW unsure, smaller dia piston rod than std?

Look- perfect for what I wanted to achieve, 15-20mm lower

Chur. Now I dont have to keep looking at the front and think, sh*t I which it was just a little little bit lower, nah, maybe later...everytime I look at my vehicle...on with the next!

i would hate to think how many of us are cruising around under 100mm w.o a cert.. i am also a culprate at 70mm in my e30

The old thirty 6!

post-538-1276697987.jpg

post-538-1276698078.jpg

post-538-1276698105.jpg

post-538-1276697922.jpg

post-538-1276697939.jpg

D2 Adjusties lowest setting, Under 100mm

18's 225/40 all around

Here is my new whip.

Motorsport shocks with super low King Springs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Josh_

how far from the ground is that josh?

looks tidy. only thing i'd do is put some thicker spring pads in the back to lift it a tad and even it out

how far from the ground is that josh?

looks tidy. only thing i'd do is put some thicker spring pads in the back to lift it a tad and even it out

Not 100% sure tbh on height, will try and remember to find out tomorrow - its under 100mm, but I'm waiting for cert plate before I get ripped to shreds ;)

And spring pads are on the agenda for the rear!

Can anyone recommend a good place to get them? The generic Noltecs of TM I doubt will work as the don't have the center spring locator in the middle, realoem states 3 or 4 different thicknesses when I search my VIN but Jeff Gray want my right leg as payment.

the nolathane ones fit over the standard factory spring pads

Ah I see, cheers ^_^

Here is my new whip.

Motorsport shocks with super low King Springs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks real slick mate ,this is what im after -maybe just slightly higher cant be bothered with cert etc. I wonder how Jamex superlow compare to these ??

Jamex are saggy as sh*t, I will never recommend those, I bought some for my first E36 a few years ago and bought H&Rs a few months later, threw the Jamex in the bloody bin.

Jamex are saggy as sh*t, I will never recommend those, I bought some for my first E36 a few years ago and bought H&Rs a few months later, threw the Jamex in the bloody bin.

and so you bought Kings?? :wacko:

IMO they are one of the worst springs on the market. They are hot wound, where as H&R , Vogtland, Jamex etc are all cold wound.

I have had Jamex springs in most of my BMW's and never had a problem. Generally springs don't sag, it is the worn out shock that causes the problems.

Edited by e38king

and so you bought Kings?? :wacko:

IMO they are one of the worst springs on the market. They are hot wound, where as H&R , Vogtland, Jamex etc are all cold wound.

That'll be why they run them on the e30 series cars then

First I have heard about Kings being bad, they are a very well known and respected brand, I know of a few people that are running them (in various cars, including my better half in her 4WD Integra) - Have you had King Springs and Jamex in your personal vehicles in regards to your comments? Or are you just going off statistics such as the cold/hot wound that you have read on the internetz?

When I said saggy I was more meaning too soft, I've had enough lowered BMWs to know what I've experienced ;)

Posted Image

Nice mate love the ACS kit's on e36s

I thought mine was fairly low even without my body kit but damn there's some low e36's on here lol

post-5210-1276945242.jpg

That'll be why they run them on the e30 series cars then

No, more than likely, it was the shock spring combo that could be provided at the most reasonable cost to competitors. Just because a race class uses them it doesn't mean they are the best. They are probably fine for a race car, which is completely different to a road car.:)

First I have heard about Kings being bad, they are a very well known and respected brand, I know of a few people that are running them (in various cars, including my better half in her 4WD Integra) - Have you had King Springs and Jamex in your personal vehicles in regards to your comments? Or are you just going off statistics such as the cold/hot wound that you have read on the internetz?

When I said saggy I was more meaning too soft, I've had enough lowered BMWs to know what I've experienced ;)

Yeah, I have had Vogtland, Jamex and Kings in various cars. Why would I make a comment if I didn't have personal experience? :)

Edited by e38king

No, more than likely, it was the shock spring combo that could be provided at the most reasonable cost to competitors. Just because a race class uses them it doesn't mean they are the best. :)

Yeah, I have had Vogtland, Jamex and Kings in various cars. Why would I make a comment if I didn't have personal experience? :)

Not exactly.

Most n00bs come here thinking they know everything, I guess its different strokes for different folks eh?

True haha

I was just about to edit my post with a comment similar to that but you beat me to it. Personally I like the more progressive feel of the Jamex etc. I find the Kings and Dobi ride too hard and jarring. Its probably because I'm a bit older :D

Edited by e38king

Posted Image

What have you got this on hans? it looks mint, exactly what i want to do!

What have you got this on hans? it looks mint, exactly what i want to do!

Im not 100% sure, buy it and find out haha

Details here http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=297910787

It came as it is out of Japan AFAIK, a friend has owned it for 3-4 years or so and has gone overseas so its my daily until it sells.

This car with a conversion and a tidy up would be sick.

2 e36's are anough for me right now. but i saw on your auction what i needed to know "Adjustables" exactly what i don't want (well do, but don't wanna spend tht kind of $$ on a daily, when i'm going to have a project soon)

2 e36's are anough for me right now. but i saw on your auction what i needed to know "Adjustables" exactly what i don't want (well do, but don't wanna spend tht kind of $$ on a daily, when i'm going to have a project soon)

TBH adjusties are the way, can do you V-maxx or H&R springs. H&R's are on sale right now also.

Yeah a basic aftermarket spring and shock package is what i'm hoping for...i don't like the rear droped to low in the guard look.