Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

This Weekends Job

This:

post-3292-1274128991.jpg

+

This:

post-3292-1274128958.jpg

Finally given into pressure from several people (including myself) and going to make my own homemade stripes. I will do the exact front bumper design in the picture below, mainly because I already have the same colored car and the gold Alpina writing. The sides are however looking far to intricate to get right, so I will probably just do a single or double pinstripe gold line, but will give it a go once I get the kit.

post-3292-1274128917.jpg

Here are some pics of what I have to work with: (the car is terribly dirty)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thoughts are appreciated, I will document the process.

Cheers, Nathan

Cool idea. And I guess if you screw it up you can just peel it off again! :D

Have you had any quotes from signwriters for designing the stripes and replicating them?

^ Yeah exactly.

It is about $10 for a 10m roll of 6mm tape so not a lot at all.

Yeah I PM'd Shelley a while ago, and she said she could replicate some from a picture for about $350. The fact of the matter is I have done 95% of the work on this thing myself so why not give it ago myself, for a small fraction of the price. The car needs respraying eventually anyway so it would be best to do it 'properly' if I wanted eventually after that. End of the day its a track(ish) car in a tidy(ish) shell, not a show car ;)

Edited by Hellpina

tape on a car was crap last i heard?

just toying with you mate, will be keen to see the result. Have seen a couple examples of people doing it stateside and it can be done so its almost undistinguishable from the real thing. GL

will look good man. yeah i c your poing about the sides but just some double stipes will look the part.

Good luck dude, not even I would attempt to replicate those stripes from a 6mm pinstripe roll! Get your ruler out and start marking off points to follow. I would also be drinking a couple of bottles first, combat the shaky hand syndrome.

Biggest tip when playing with such thin pin striping is to put very little pressure on the tape as you will stretch it and it will not go back to 6mm once stretched, which will mean you will have to remove the whole stripe and start again, unless you want an ugly join in the tape.

If all fails you know where I am with nice computer cut, application taped one piece graphics :P

^ Haha thanks Shelley, don't have much to lose. Maybe I should try finding something slightly fatter, thanks for the tips though.

How hard can it be? :P

Wow, I am impressed by your dedication. Should be good.

Your car looks awesome btw (Y)

^ Cheers man, WOF this Friday, then I will put some decent pics up after a decent cut and polish.

Dedication, more like perfectionist :blink:

Sweeeet, Your car is lookin' good!

Hope it goes well for you. Just take it slowly and don't drink too many beers :P Otherwise it'll be angle-pina.

Edited by antil33t

^ Haha cheers man, Lol @ anglepina.

Payday tomorrow, present for getting the bucket of bolts done potentially: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DTM-CUP-STY...s#ht_2008wt_864

Yes, no maybe? In fluro pink/purple...thoughts?

^not a fan. ive never seen aftermarket E30 mirrors if liked. theres ones i think its off the E34 M5 which are nice though as a bit of a difference to the stock E30 ones

^ Haha cheers man, Lol @ anglepina.

Payday tomorrow, present for getting the bucket of bolts done potentially: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DTM-CUP-STY...s#ht_2008wt_864

Yes, no maybe? In fluro pink/purple...thoughts?

Wouldn't ruin an "Alpina Rep" car with pink mirrors

GL with the pinstriping

Wouldn't ruin an "Alpina Rep" car with pink mirrors

GL with the pinstriping

Lets say that post was because my gf wants to add her 'personal touch' to the car :huh: If I did buy some others they would be colorcoded ;)

Cheers dude

Looks like I have opened a can of worms. Just really wanted some DTM mirrors but will save that for the real M3 haha. The price to get them here is a lot more than I have in my account.

^yeah tbh i could think of many more cost effective things to do before i spend up on mirrors.

^ Should make use of those M52 parts I have under my house instead ;)

Edited by Hellpina

^ Haha thanks Shelley, don't have much to lose. Maybe I should try finding something slightly fatter, thanks for the tips though.

How hard can it be? :P

Unfortunately fatter will make the bends harder. There's no easy way about it mate. lol!

^ Cheers man, WOF this Friday, then I will put some decent pics up after a decent cut and polish.

Dedication, more like perfectionist :blink:

Don't polish before striping. And don't cut after striping. Use a tooth brush to get the polish out from the edge of the striping if you polish after ward.