Sign in to follow this  
Gus

K&N cold air box

the car im getting (bar anything majorly going wrong) has a k&N pod filter...has anyone made a cold air box for one before? any tips on materials? is there any cheap ones worth getting?

Guest Andrew

yes actually.. a large tube around the filter and down to the front.

I saw it on a 325 cabrio.

haha...i saw u half an hour ago.....so this is for everyone elses benefit....was thinking bout using parts from the stock airbox, and then some sort of tube around the pod into that....hmmmm pics when i get it

Get some 1.5 - 2mm thick Aluminium sheet.

It is easy to bend etc...

You can seal off that whole front corner of the engine bay by bringing the alu sheet up to the underside of the bonnet from the chassis rail or fold it over so it is still sealed when the bonnet is open.

my 2c for this evening.

go to www.bmwe30cc.org

then goto downloads > e30 service files

in there is a file called heat sheild.

it is a pdf file. this might help you

cheers dude..thats bloody helpful! they also have the bmw haynes manual....dont think its as good as the bentley...but still good

Guest 325eye

What do people think...

I have recently finished my new exhuast system and am tossing up whether I should buy a pod filter and build a heat sheild... With the bonnet sealing it as explained above or just add a K&N element to the original box...

In my 325i there is already a pipe drawing air from behind the headlight, to the filter box, as factory, so I'm thinking that using the original box with a high flow element is going to be just as good as the full on pod system...

I don't really want to waste $$$ comparing on the Dyno, but I assume BMW would have done a good job of the current system...

???

Matt

Guest Andrew

BMW intake is fine.. K&N panel filter waste of money... no hp ... whats a filter at the stealer these days.. 24 bucks?

If u are sticking with the standard air box try a BMC panel filter, sh*t loads better than K&N. I put one in my baby and thought that it made a difference, i was so impressed and wanted something to look at that i upgraded to the carbon air box . If you are just going for the look then checkout if BMC do a carbon job for e30 it isnt cheep though :wacko: .

BMC do the F1 filter and that must say something.

www.bmcairfilters.com

0800 retro 4 u

:ph34r:

Guest 325eye

Thanks man...

If the price is not F1 I will try one... Infact I might get the K&N and when I Dyno the new Exhuast I will let you know which is better...

Matt

P.S. I will leave the Carbon pieces till after the blower is installed...

:D

Guest 325eye

If u are sticking with the standard air box try a BMC panel filter, sh*t loads better than K&N. I put one in my baby and thought that it made a difference, i was so impressed and wanted something to look at that i upgraded to the carbon air box . If you are just going for the look then checkout if BMC do a carbon job for e30 it isnt cheep though :wacko: .

BMC do the F1 filter and that must say something.

www.bmcairfilters.com

0800 retro 4 u

:ph34r:

Who in New Zealand deals in these filters?

Matt

Guest 325eye

Retro does BMC stuff... and Momo and Recaro <drool> and other sh*t too...

The number's "0800 4 RETRO" I think.

Edit: Duh! :wacko: I didn't even read the thread properly (neither did you - check your quote)... the number's "0800 retro 4 u"...

Thanks...

I was not sure what that retro thing was...

Now I know

:wacko:

In Wgtn Maclennan's is the BMC dealer but if can get in touch with retro u can deal directly but im real sure they charge the same.

The Panel F1 filter was $200 & hold onto your breath the BMC CDA which i now have in the car is $1000 :blink: But im not going to be playing with the engine so i thought that it was worth it. :ph34r: