Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Fuel Economy

is it possible?? I heard of auto -> manual conversion with Civics and Skylines. But with e36??? Would that be easier to buy a manual one??

6th gear is the answer Paul. 2000 rpm is about 110kph. So you cruise at a fast idle.

I would have thought Martyyn's car would have been equivalent to ours on the open road.

yeah sixth plus more modern combustion chamber sesign...at 100 ks the 5 is turning 2250.At one of the bmwcc driver days was talking to a guy from whangarei who came down to manfield,he said his 635 is more economical than his 535,at 100 the six was doing a bout 1900 rpm

Guest Andrew

is it possible?? I heard of auto -> manual conversion with Civics and Skylines. But with e36??? Would that be easier to buy a manual one??

find a manual gearbox - driveshaft - pedal box and a few other little bits. And yes.. a manual conversion is possible on virtually any car.

find a manual gearbox - driveshaft - pedal box and a few other little bits. And yes.. a manual conversion is possible on virtually any car.

Do you recken it would actually be possibly to do a conversion on dad's 745i ?

Just curious ....

bout 8L/100kms for me and the 5 on the open road, could be slightly thirstier in a week or so...mmm custom porting job goin on as we speak :ph34r:

haha, straight rom the econo gauge sparkle????? I'd imagine it would be 10l/100km at least...... 'tis economical for a car of it's girth

Just curious ....

I think that you'll find that in more modern (i.e. more modern that an E30) that an auto - manual conversion is very very hard due to the more complex nautre of the electronics and computers in the more modern cars.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

Just curious ....

do they even make a manual 745i?

No manual 7 series since the E32 I think, but they make manual 645s, so some maybe some sh*t could be played around with there?

I think, but they make manual 645s

there also a manual 545,and of course you could always wait for an m5 to be wriitten off

Just curious ....

do they even make a manual 745i?
No there is no manual for the 745i ...

i thought they made special order ones? i know alpina did a conversion for the latest 745i, apparently driving round nuhremburg it had to slow down so the e46 CSLs could get in its slipstream. badass :ph34r:

i thought they made special order ones? i know alpina did a conversion for the latest 745i, apparently driving round nuhremburg it had to slow down so the e46 CSLs could get in its slipstream. badass :ph34r:

now that would be awesome for dad's car ....

manual seven would be terrible i reckon, IT'S NOT A SPORTS CAR!!!!!!! if ya want a manual & fast big bmw get a 5!

it does drive like one sometimes ...

You only have to ask Martyn about whether the 7 and it's V12 is a sports car or not!!! It may not handle like one but sure as hell can go faster than what most of us drive, plus, when the whale gets the momentum up it's a hell of a lot more stable than any other bimmer - i've seen it first hand on the A7 between Hamburg and Bremen - and the best thing is they feel like they are just cruising :pimp:

Manual conversion is very very hard due to the more complex nature of the electronics and computers in the more modern cars.

And sensors :D

Even just changing a exhaust system.. jees

What year is it Ali? Its not a big 2003 beast or 2002 is it? Cos i saw a silver one a while back....

No manual 7 series since the E32 I think, but they make manual 645s, so some maybe some sh*t could be played around with there?

And who's got a 645 lying round thats got an expired warranty..

No, i didn't think so

:pimp: :huh:

yes it is the big 2002+ model 7series ... it's not the silver one your refering to .. it's a black one ...

I'm driving a 3.9 ea falcon to work this week......... 3spd auto and centre point injection <_< see how much that chops through, if i don't drive it off a cliff first

Buy a modern diesel if you want fuel economy, damn diesels are the most effiecient fuel burners and diesel technology is fast becoming serious enough to switch alot of roads user to. What about that Audi on TG last night, close to 40mpg simply because he drove fruglely (sp?) but it does raise a point <_<

My belief is that in the future when oil becomes too costly I doubt we'll all be driving around in "fuel cell" cars, the cost of hydrogen manufacture will make it too expensive. The poorer sods will either be driving in bio-diesel cars (like the marine stuff and the stuff the akld test buses use) or if my fingers are crossed enough, higher ethanol based fuel since NZ (fonterra) exports 15 million litres of ethanol by-product a year to russia.

NZ would do well to become a major ethanol producer due to our quality ethanol productions...I wonder though that if someone produced a road car that ran effeciently on pure ethanol would the oil congloborates (sp) interfere...

I'm getting around 14-16L/100km around the city <_<

'89 e 34 535i Auto

I haven't really traveled on the open road too much yet, but it looks like i should get 9-11L/100km.