Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

Possible timing chain rattle?

Morning all, the last couple of weeks I have noticed, only on the first couple of cold starts in the morning, my M52B28 loves to emit a rattle for literally a second or two then it goes away. Its hard to pin-point in the engine bay because its over with so quick - anyone heard anything similar before? Its quite a chattery rattle if that makes any sense.

Car has been serviced well and had only done 102ks.

Morning all, the last couple of weeks I have noticed, only on the first couple of cold starts in the morning, my M52B28 loves to emit a rattle for literally a second or two then it goes away. Its hard to pin-point in the engine bay because its over with so quick - anyone heard anything similar before? Its quite a chattery rattle if that makes any sense.

Car has been serviced well and had only done 102ks.

Maybe starter motor? Mine seems to a make a bit of noise on cold starts sometimes ,just for a split second.

Drive belt idler & tensioner bearings will do this

Dare I ask is that fixable - and at what sort of ballpark figure?

Dare I ask is that fixable - and at what sort of ballpark figure?

Get someone to start it for you cold and use a screwdriver as a stethescope to locate the noise. Remove the drive belts and check the bearings. Its normally the alternator ones that cause the problem. There are two types of tensioners and 2 different set ups. Check the bearings and give me a chassis # if you want prices

Edited by *Glenn*