Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

World Cup

Who will win?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread on this yet so I thought I'd start one.

Who's your pick to take it out this year? How do you think NZ will do?

Personally, I think Spain, Netherlands and Brazil will be the top 3 but I did like how Germany played this morning although they did start strong at the last World Cup but when it came to the big games they struggled and England don't stand a chance, penalty shootout or not.

The first weekend of matchs have already provided some unforgetable moments and there are still over 3 weeks to. It is going to be a sleepless month.

Poll added - Mexico is in there only cuz I got them in the work sweepstake haha

Edited by Gaz

Hopefully Germany wil go all the way, England will choke, most likely on penaltys.

I would like to think the All Whites can get at least a point, would most likely be against Slovakia tomorrow night.

Here's Hoping!!

I am disapointed that it had to be right in the middle of uni exams :|

Brazil are always favourites being the top WC nation ever and I think the only nation to have won it outside their continent? Although Group G could cause them upset and will be extremely exciting with Ivory Coast, Portugal, Brazil and N. Korea.

I think Argintina could go all the way also, with Messi and Maradona leading them. The Germans are always strong, and absolutely blew Australia away who should have beaten Italy in '06. England are pretty strong this time also despit and aweful World Cup track record. Its just impossible to pick as almost every country to qualify has a chance at winning the cup.

Go the Dutch! Denmark tonight at 11.30 should be good.

England look crap.

Spain will do well, at least semis, with Brazil there too. Portugal could go pretty far also.

Start of next month I will be getting zero sleep with this finishing up and the Tour de France starting as well. Fun times ahead.

Germany played seriously well this morning, picking them along with Spain (which is essentially a world 11) and the Dutch to be up there and Argentina if Messi gets some decent service.

Love how much the media are hyping up the All Whites chances, don't wana be a tall poppy chopper, but getting atleast a point will be a massive achievement, should put up a decent fight esp. against Slovakia.

England to choke like they do every other year.

Who is everyones picks for Golden boot? Klose as to be up there as Germany basically have the easiest group run into the knockout stages.

I agree with you on the All Whites. I would be happy for them if they scored more than one goal.

Golden boot is harder to pick than the winner itself as none have really stood up and shined yet. Still early stages though. I'm liking Torres for the Golden Boot however, I've got them to win all their group games 3-0 so plently of goals to go around.

Argentina. But it's to slow of a game to watch for me, so will probably only watch the final, maybe a semi.

To late to make this into a poll?

in before page 2 and beyond

Postcount +1

Argentina or England to take it this time...put a dirty hundy on NZ to make the finals so digits crossed!

Poll has been added and the only reason Mexico is in there is because I got them in the office sweepstake.

Realisticaly these are most likely the only teams that can win it unless someone strongly disagrees and I'll add them.

Spain has a strong team and did well in the Euro 2008 but too many injury concerns.

I hope Drogba can heal up in time for Ivory Coast's clash with Portugal. It could be the end of either of those country's in the group of death and it would be sad to see the captain miss out on that game, even if he is not 100%. I really hope an African nation does well in South Africa.

I wouldn't pick Torres for the Golden Boot, he plays a awful game for Spain, something like 1 goal every three games on average for them. I would put my money on Villa in the Spanish team. Ronaldo could do well if Portugal doesn't go home early like they could well do. And as Brams said, Klose wone in '06 and will likely come Klose or better again.

Others like Rooney, Gerrard, Messi, Persie... eeny meeny miny mo.

what no USA!... grrr...

LOL this is the world cup mate.. not the 'world series'

Spain, because I am living there ATM and if I don't support them I will most likely be stabbed.

Germany are doing well so far but without Ballack, I doubt them will go past the Semi's.

Argentina and Spain for the Final, although most people here in Barcelona would probably support Argentina in that case because Messi is Argentinian.

^^ LOL the WORLD SERIES of all American teams, oh no, wait there are two Canadian teams in there as well!!

I am badly out of touch with World Football now, so I must admit to not knowing as much as I would like about most of the other teams in the tournament. I do know that even with more structure and better tactics under Capello England will still not be good enough to win it, last four is the best we can hope for realistically.

Brazil qualified well and seem to have a stable side, so I have very predictably gone for them, however I would love to see an African team win it, not sure if any are good enough though, the hosts seem too erratic at the back, not sure Drogba can carry a whole team (as he can't stay on his feet anyway :lol: ) so maybe Nigeria??

Will be fun, watching with my lad for the first time, I will get wound up, angry, depressed and throw things at the telly, but it's better than watching rugby!!

I'm rooting for North Korea. Nothing like an underdog competing since 66 IIRC

I'm rooting for North Korea. Nothing like an underdog competing since 66 IIRC

I bet some of the players wont even return to N. Korea.

I'm really not sure who will win, but I'm hoping it isn't one of the usual. I always go for the underdog as long as it isn't Australia.

I think it would be really cool to see a country like Serbia, Slovenia, or even Slovakia winning it.

Edited by mark247

USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

I always go for the underdog as long as it isn't Australia.

Don't worry.. Aussie is up sh*t creek without a paddle now. Really doubt they will qualify.

Don't worry.. Aussie is up sh*t creek without a paddle now. Really doubt they will qualify.

Yea they are. However NZ's group has been blown open.

Found this cool thing on the FIFA website and shows how the goals are scored if you don't have a TV or youtube at work