Sign in to follow this  
Matty104

E30 aux fan wiring

Hey guys, This is doing my head in.

I have been searching and searching for days trying to figure this out and bs is my last port of call before the auto sparkys can take over.

So im hooking up an aux fan into the e30 to clear room for the s/c pully and john (e30ftw) has kindly given me this wiring diagram to work off, This is also the way that kerrys fan runs but mine will not seem to switch on.

post-3318-1276684268.png

The only thing i can see i have done different is the two + wires are not fused.

Pin 86 on the relay is connected directly to t2( low temp) on the radiator thermo switch and the rest is hooked up exactly the same as the diagram, and i can switch the fan on by jumping pin 87 and 30 ( constant power) so what am i doing wrong?

I have changed the thermo switch and the relay today to no avail,

Many thanks

Edited by Matty104

what happens when you connect 86 to earth?

edit: oh and get fuses in there man! they are there to protect the relay and/or motor!

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

here is how it should look...

if you bridge 87 and 30 and it goes that means the trigger side of its not working... check that you have wired up 86 and 85 properly, also check the grounds. does the temp sensor earth through the motor or a seperate earth? just check where you have power up to.

post-1845-1276685506.png

Nothings happens when i connect 86 to earth, And yea i plan on doing the fuses but just wanted to get it going and the fuses will go in when i have the fan wiring worked out as ill go back through and hide the wires

well then there is either no power to the relay or the relay is faulty.. check for power at 85...

the way i did mine was just ran a jumper wire from 30 to 85

and you will probs want about a 15a fuse, and 15a wiring too.

Edited by DRTE30

cheers oli, ill hook it up to your setup now and warm it up and let you know the results

85 and 86 are opposite ways round on those two diagrams.. it should make any difference which way around they are though correct?

it doesnt matter which way round they are. as long as the high and low side are seperate... you shouldnt need to warm it up, just ground the wire on the temp sensor.

I have power at 85 with oli's diagram, and when you say jumper do you mean as a test method or actually wire it in.

I should add that wiring is my worst nightmare

Edit : when i ground the wire on the temp sensor the relay clicks over, butthe fan doesnt go

Edited by Matty104

really?? wiring is my fav.. well on mine there is one power wire going to 87 and then back out of 87 into 86.

so now that you have power at 85 is there power at 86? if so does it get to the temp sensor? if so does it get to ground?

just read ur edit...

if the realay is clicking then the low side is all good... check that there is power on the high side now..

check power at 87 and 30... whichever is ur power input... also check fan earth and fan power when temp sensor is grounded.

pm me ur number if you want. i will call you.. much easier.

Edited by DRTE30

Edit : when i ground the wire on the temp sensor the relay clicks over, butthe fan doesnt go

either fan motor is f**ked (to test put a terminal directly on each pole of the battery to see if it works), or the relay is (to test connect 85 and 86 to each terminal on the battery, and check for zero resistance between 87 and 30)

cheers for the help guys, i tried testing all those and am getting power in the right places, been through 3 different relays and the fan defenently goes, so i'm at a loss,

does anyone in hamilton want to do it for me and ill pay them? or ill book it in for next week and have the auto sparkeys do it.

Works for me aye, not sure what's gone wrong with your setup.

I used a relay from the fusebox, had spares. You should use T1 as it's the lower temp too.

Which wire on the temp sensor are you grounding?

Pretty interested in doing this to get rid of my buggered fan clutch, car overheats in auckland traffic, but never in palmy traffic, so not too much of a worry for me, but would be nice when i am in auckland for it to not overheat.

On m10, is it just using the temp sensor thats jammed in the water piping at the front of the block? and what sorta fan is it? just an el cheapo supercheap one/pickapart fan or what? Easy to mount to back/front of rad?

Cheers

He's using a 7 series fan I think, But it's pretty much the same for any electric fan. Joining them is easy you can put large screws into the radiators fins and it will hold there fine.

He's using a 7 series fan I think, But it's pretty much the same for any electric fan. Joining them is easy you can put large screws into the radiators fins and it will hold there fine.

Sweet, will just have to find some fins to screw it to then...my radiators seen better days haha.

the aircon fan also works in the e30s, it fits in just infront of the rad, just behind the kidney.

it usually bolts to the car as opposed to the rad.. may be a better option for you.

Cheers guys, managed to sort it now after talking to john, Turns out i have no idea how to read wiring diagrams, and i had power going to t1 and 0 going to earth rather than power going to 0 and t1 to earth. Big noob mistake.

Thanks for all your help fellas

Matt

Cheers guys, managed to sort it now after talking to john, Turns out i have no idea how to read wiring diagrams, and i had power going to t1 and 0 going to earth rather than power going to 0 and t1 to earth. Big noob mistake.

Thanks for all your help fellas

Matt

noob

atleast he did his own haha

Ohhhhh , Mark , do you need a ride to the Burns unit?

I know i didn't do it. If I cant do it i dont have a problem admitting it =P I just dont even try haha

Ok, Ive sorted myself out a fan now, its a two speed one, with two wires obviously for each speed.

Now, from what I understand of the fuse box, the fuse terminals are prewired, and they all go to their corresponding relay sockets and these are also prewired, so if i run the wires back to the outer fuse blade sockets, and jam some fuses and relays where the low and high speed relays/fuses should be, all will be well and work? or am I wrong completely?

Cheers,

Bradd