Sign in to follow this  
NA325i

bolt on supercharger kit

anyone know of any bolt on super charger kits for e30 325i's? i was thinking of doing a bit of a backyard job with a sc14 off a toyota but then thought of kits made 4 my engine.

anyone done it/ got any advice

this is one setup ive found

http://www.rosemdesign.com/lowen/pages/supercharger.htm

cheers 4 any advice.

Got no experience, but how much are those kits going to cost you ?

Talk to Matt104 or bravo they've done/doing it right now.

shot mate :) ill pm them

dunno how much they cost but seeing as it in the US just the postage and currency conversion will add a bit. still doing my research

centrifugal < roots

m62 would be better suited than m45. just find a crashed merc kompressor. there are 2 on trademe atm. a bit more expensive than an sc14 but much more efficient for a 2.5l.

Hmmm any reason you're not going for a turbo kit?

Erm...personal prefrance i guess. im not looking 4 stupid power,maybe 250hp. and turbo lag sucks balls. would you go turbo?

Hmmm any reason you're not going for a turbo kit?

Erm...personal prefrance i guess. im not looking 4 stupid power,maybe 250hp. and turbo lag sucks balls. would you go turbo?

Yeah I hear you.

Not sure, a supercharged six 2.5 would go well, I suppose it would feel more like a 3.5L six with the increase in low end torque.

You would only need to run 5 psi or so for a reasonable gain.

Just the custom fabrication of a runner/adaptor for the supercharger would be the trick. I would probably fit individual throttle bodies, but then the ECU would also need attention, though you would want ECU work to get the best out of it.

As always, depends how much you're wanting to spend.

Yeah I hear you.

Not sure, a supercharged six 2.5 would go well, I suppose it would feel more like a 3.5L six with the increase in low end torque.

You would only need to run 5 psi or so for a reasonable gain.

Just the custom fabrication of a runner/adaptor for the supercharger would be the trick. I would probably fit individual throttle bodies, but then the ECU would also need attention, though you would want ECU work to get the best out of it.

As always, depends how much you're wanting to spend.

Well say 250hp is the goal here, best option? im gonna rebuild the motor first of all then tackle the mods. its my daily so im looking to make it bulletproof. colud i get away with just cams and the like?

Which motor do you have?

I think it could be more advisable to buy an iron block M50B25 engine and work that, then drop it in your car replacing the older 2.5 engine.

Just a suggestion but thats what I would do, means it would be off the road for a shorter time and you get the gains of having the newer 24v engine.

Definitely headers and at least a piggy back tune, not sure if the stock fuel system would cope, but I would imagine you would want up upgrade all of that (pump/injectors)

its a 1987 preface lift m20b25

ooh 24valves :wub: pretty

about upgrading the fuel system, is that on the m20 or m50?

Yeah you can get a M50B25 for rather little, but you would need the full loom and stock ECU, so that alone becomes another drama. ( I would assume its totally different to the older M20 engine?)

Both setups. Any time you go FI you're going to need more fuel flow.

:)

Edited by Mike-E36

right got it! need more fuel. haha sweet so clearly more research is needed into the matter. thanks for the help mate

right got it! need more fuel. haha sweet so clearly more research is needed into the matter. thanks for the help mate

would the M50 fit on M20 mounts or do you need to use m50 mounts or is it a custom mount? im in the process of sorting out some parts to do a m50 super charger/ turbo(which ever is easier and i prefer sc)

Thanks gareth

My sc'd m20b25 is hella fun. Always want to go faster though. Using a wee toyota sc14 roots charger. If I did it again I'd chuck an eaton in as suggested above, but they take up lots of room.

My sc'd m20b25 is hella fun. Always want to go faster though. Using a wee toyota sc14 roots charger. If I did it again I'd chuck an eaton in as suggested above, but they take up lots of room.

my engine's done 215000kms. would u suggest rebuilding it before supercharging?

you'll need to get a compression and leakdown test to get any idea of the health of your engine.

Hey bravo, how much did your sc14 setup cost? does anyone know how much a suitable eaton setup would cost? I found this website that has a bit of info on factory Supercharges that are found Toyota and Subaru etc

http://autospeed.co.nz/cms/title_Superchar...94/article.html

From what I read on there, that the SC12 and SC14 make roughly the same KW but the SC14 wasn’t equipped with an intercooler.

I pick up My first E30 this sat from Aucks and will be very interested in SC'n it in the near future, after i get a manual conversion done

Edited by foot8sativa

SC12 is smaller.

I don't know what mine cost all up. Say $5k including tune, maybe a grand or so more.

What about a blower from a jag XKR/6. Eaton M90 possibly? If its got enough puff for a 4 litre six itll make an M20 howl even on under drive pulleys ;)

I looked up some prices on one of the newer eaton blowers (cant remember their name, but the new whizz bang version) similar amount of puff to an M60. Eaton dont sell to the public, but one designed for some american heap was worth 6k+ US new.

Ebay is probably your best bet for finding one, M60's and M90's came on a bunch of american rubbish.

I used to have an AE92 GTZ, Sc12 on a 4AGZE, was lotsa fun, but winding up the boost past 10psi got pretty pointless, it just spat out hot air and the top mount intercooler was rubbish enough at cooling the stock boost, and that was on a 1600cc.

EDIT - Epic Grammar Fail.

Edited by Jacko

Depends what you want to spend.

I've thought about doing this with an iron block M50B25, but with a Whipple twin screw or Harrop 4 lobe roots superchager.

Pricey, but they would get the best results. Might not be as cost effective as a turbo setup though has more appeal in my eyes.

Old Jag/Eaton chargers run way to hot from my experience. Avoid

Most of the m62 and m90's have a really long nose. If you were to go for any the merc's have a really compact m62 and would probably be one of the better picks. Or if your lucky enough to find one of the bigger amg mercs with a lysholm supercharger you'll get a lot more air and it'll be a lot more efficient.

The mazda eunos 800 has a smaller lysholm supercharger. They are a bit hard to find info on.