Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Oops

So I wound my car down abit a couple of weeks ago to lose abit of the guard / tyre gap. (they are 205/40/16 tyres so its hard to make it fill the guard gap, if they were bottlecaps with 195/60's it tucks tyre)

Posted Image

Which left the oil pan like this. Barely 50mm off the ground.

Posted Image

Which last night , ended up like this.

Posted Image

Nice big crack down the side. FML.

Actually glad it didn't break to pieces like I had happen with 2 m20 oil pans. I may see if I can have it raised and the oil pickup raised abit since it sticks down 20mm lower than an m20 sump does and it's f*cken dodgy.

Edited by e30ftw

Oh dear, you seem to have a way with E30 sumps don't you :P. I know exactly how you feel (perth e30):

Edit: Is your motor farked?

post-2398-1277011806.jpg

Edited by tastic

Maybe this is why BMW have the sump like 1ft off the ground stock?

LOL, start a collection like the ever so famous Mr. Burroughs apparently has.

What did you hit?

When the car sits 50mm from the ground that usually does happen. Put bigger wheels on it.

Or sell it ;)

Edited by Greg.

thats the exact height mine was sitting about 2 weeks ago... man it was almost impossible to drive... just aswell i had sump guard. (i thought i had put a hole in the sump guard a couple of times when i neglected to spot bumps.)

It was dark and I was turning down a street and didn't notice it was one of those stupid dips then a concrete bit with bricks. Just went BANG and I didn't even notice it had broke, I drove it home and this morning the garage floor was flooded in oil.

If I was driving on a road where if I followed the usual path and drove where the road had sort of worn out where cars usually drive and the middle bit is higher it'd scrape at the sump so I had to drive either more left or closer to the center line haha.

I'm gonna space the m50 upwards and see if I can get the pan lifted higher and the pickup. if anything all i will lose is abit of oil capacity but wipdy doo. I modified an e30 sumpguard to fit under the m50 sump too just last week but never got around to installing it.

When the car sits 50mm from the ground that usually does happen. Put bigger wheels on it.

Or sell it ;)

Exactly.

In all seriousness that is dumb having a road car that low. I mean, the result speaks for itself.

Cars at that height should be left for sole use on a track.

Form > Function.

never seen the point in being so low. the above is true to an extent, but 100mm is the lowest i want to ever be on NZ roads. I used to be 70mm in the back on compressed superlows, and the 80ish in the front, before i raised it again 2 weeks later. imo a car still has to be practicle enough and give you the enjoyment of driving without having to look for ~50mm increases in the height of the road.

you could always dry sump it.... it would be a pretty original mod too!

You could try putting in taller engine mounts.

Your certifier would not have issued a cert at that height John.... I would say your heading for another "Pinky" at that height, along with an empty wallet.

Edited by *Glenn*

You could try putting in taller engine mounts.

Your certifier would not have issued a cert at that height John.... I would say your heading for another "Pinky" at that height, along with an empty wallet.

My certification officer with my e30 being 60something mm off the ground at the sump?

He's not saying you can't get a cert at 60mm, he's saying if you're certed for one height and found at another, your cert means nothing.

Im certed at 300mm front, It was sitting close to 295mm, which is still within my 5% +/- .

have you got a sump yet.

Nah I need to get the old one off see what I can do first. Should have it off tomorrow morning then I'll see.. Need a new engine mount too cos I notice one is ripped. Would explain the jerk i got changing gears for the past week or so.

Sump isn't tooooo bad anyways.Crack starting up top running down the side into that valley to the bottem corner.

Posted Image

I'm gonna see if I can have the crack welded and have it raised abit. Would probably end up costing the same as a replacement sump but would be more worthwhile as it's less likely to break again if its made higher vs getting another .

Got a single engine mount i can buy? Forgot what ones you gave me too..

seriously if i were you i would get a sump guard. i have smacked mine seriously hard a few times... even bottomed out on the motorway the other day. and its done absolutely no damage to it.

seriously if i were you i would get a sump guard. i have smacked mine seriously hard a few times... even bottomed out on the motorway the other day. and its done absolutely no damage to it.

The problem is with only 50mm clearance.... wheres the sump guard going to go ?... the engine/cars too low