Sign in to follow this  
Druid

'94 318iS revs up uninvited!

Morning all. Our 1994 BMW 318iS sometimes revs for no apparent reason. Can be driving, or sitting in gear, or out of gear. It will sometimes rev up and down every second or so, sometimes just sit on the higher revs. Can be anywhere between about 1500 and 4000RPM when out of gear.

There is a sensor towards front of engine, on passenger side, below the manifold. Moving that wire will often alleviate the problem, or make t happen. If it's in the rev mood, and then ignition is turned off, it won't fire up, just turns over, until that wire is moved. What is that sensor, (temperature sensor?) and would it be the actual sensor, or a wire damaged inside that part of loom, or the plug that fits onto the sensor? Or is it likely to be some other reason? If it's the wire, should I cut it back and solder in another wire in place of it? What's that sensor worth if it needs replacing? I have puulled the plug off, and pushed it on and off a number of times to be sure there isn't oxidisation stopping proper contact, but it looks okay.

Many thanks. Keith

Hi Keith,

where abouts are you?

if you are in wellington give us a yell, will be happy to help.

cheers

J & K

04 3801089

Hi Keith,

where abouts are you?

if you are in wellington give us a yell, will be happy to help.

cheers

J & K

04 3801089

No, unfortunately, I'm in South Auckland, but thanks anyway.

Some more information, plus a photo. If the plug is taken off the sensor, the car will start and idle fine. If it's cold, it will not take any throttle, but warmed up, the car will run great, no surging, or anything untoward.

The photo shows the sensor in question, directly behind the oil filter, under the front of the intake manifold. I assume it's a temperature sensor, although not for the temperature gauge. Am I correct in that thought, and would it be the actual sensor which has a problem? Where's the best place to get a replacement? Thanks again.

post-1858-1278123446.jpg

Can sort it out for you.

Call or text

Guest BimmerzE36

Morning all. Our 1994 BMW 318iS sometimes revs for no apparent reason. Can be driving, or sitting in gear, or out of gear. It will sometimes rev up and down every second or so, sometimes just sit on the higher revs.

The same thing happens to me actually, but its not that bad, only revs up and down between say 1K and 2K when its not in gear. Once its in gear its all fine.

let me know when you get it sorted mate,

Can sort it out for you.

Call or text

If it gets worst, I'll know who to call up.

Cheers

Edited by BimmerzE36

The same thing happens to me actually, but its not that bad, only revs up and down between say 1K and 2K when its not in gear. Once its in gear its all fine.

let me know when you get it sorted mate,

If it gets worst, I'll know who to call up.

Cheers

Well, so far, so good. Have only done 10km out, then after 2 hours, the same 10k back, but with no problems. Need a bit more travel time to confirm it, but it's looking good, so far. Hoping it will also bring fuel consumption back to where it used to be :) Cheers.

Well, so far, so good. Have only done 10km out, then after 2 hours, the same 10k back, but with no problems. Need a bit more travel time to confirm it, but it's looking good, so far. Hoping it will also bring fuel consumption back to where it used to be :) Cheers.

What did you end up doing to fix the problem? You havnt actually said...

What did you end up doing to fix the problem? You havnt actually said...

Ooops. Lol. I replaced the temperature sensor in the photo, with a second hand one supplied by HELLBM. Now I just need to do some more running to confirm it's all working properly. The car is not a daily driver at the moment, but will be again when University restarts. The car belongs to my son's girlfriend, and I'm teaching her to drive in it.

Edited by Druid

Well, it looks as if we're definitely in business. Done close to a couple hundred kms since replacement of the sensor, and all is well:) Just watching out for economy now, see if that's also improved. Thanks guys :)