Sign in to follow this  
Guest BimmerzE36

Bad Headliner, Where Should I Get it fixed ?

Guest BimmerzE36

Okay, I got a e36 without any sunroof and so for a few months my headliner has been going bad to worst. Saggy to a tent! Wish BMW would had used better glue to fix the headliner on our cars... o well..

I want to get it replaced / fixed... I'm from Auckland, and so I called up a few places here..

One guy said he'll come to my place, has a 10 year warranty and charges around 350 Including GST..Another guy gave me a quote of around 280 including GST. I gotta take it to his shop at mount roskill. I kind of feel the prices are a bit high :wacko: and so Im trying to get a decent price to get all this sorted..

So, did you ever get your headliner replaced? how much did it cost you, and what shop / guy would you recommend me? Is there anybody in this board who can do Headliners for Cheap ? :rolleyes: I'll pay you as long as its a reasonable price..

I read in this US board this guy bought the fabric for around $30 and used some $10 glue or something, I dont know, but thats way too cheap to be good..?

Thanks ....

Edited by BimmerzE36

if you are in Auckland see Brent or Ray for a second hand one

try and get a black one they seem to last longer

those prices are ok .

we sell used hoodlinnings , and every now and then we get one in thats just been redone ,

is your e36 a coupe or sedan

$150 fitted at Hellbm for a good cond. non sunroof headliner. Shop around for someone to recover with new fabric. Should be no more than $200.

$150 fitted at Hellbm for a good cond. non sunroof headliner. Shop around for someone to recover with new fabric. Should be no more than $200.

now thats a good deal you wont find better than that.

fitted too, can you change the e36 hoodliner with out removing the glass?

Guest BimmerzE36

those prices are ok .

we sell used hoodlinnings , and every now and then we get one in thats just been redone ,

is your e36 a coupe or sedan

Cheers Brent, I'll keep you in mind, how much are those used ones anyway and how long do they last? I got a Coupe without sunroof by the way.

can you change the e36 hoodliner with out removing the glass?

Yea Mate, you only need to remove those on a E30 I reckon, e36 is just remove the O $H!T Handles, the mirror and the roof stuff and it comes off(as they say)

That's a good price for me.. tell me more I got a E36 Coupe, Non Sunroof. So how do you guys do it? Do you use new fabric to replace or do you simply recover my old one? And, not to hold you to your word.. but does the work have any workmanship's warranty, I mean if it gets saggy in say a year ? Would you cover me in anyway?

Thanks

Dude do it yourself, its real easy to do. It just looks daunting. I did it in my E36 coupe last year it wasnt sagging but it had a ciggarette burn on it from some disgusting woman. I had it out of the car, retrimed and back in the car with a hour and a half. You can probably get it done pretty cheap. It cost me a lot becasue I did it all in black suede which Im about to do again in my E39 which its headliner is sagging in some spots.. I think i did a write up somewhere..

Guest BimmerzE36

Dude do it yourself, its real easy to do. It just looks daunting. I did it in my E36 coupe last year it wasnt sagging but it had a ciggarette burn on it from some disgusting woman. I had it out of the car, retrimed and back in the car with a hour and a half. You can probably get it done pretty cheap. It cost me a lot becasue I did it all in black suede which Im about to do again in my E39 which its headliner is sagging in some spots.. I think i did a write up somewhere..

Dude, I would but I just cant get the courage to start off, because I dont know how well the glue and the fabric would "stick" up..trimming it, I dont have solid hands.... thats why I want some one with exprience to help me out, at a reasonable price, I didnt want to go for older ones because they probably would start saging again, so maybe have a new fabric put up..

But hey, if you have some experience with it, maybe we could find some time in the weekend, buy the fabric and the glue, open a box and I'll give you a hand doing it up? That is if you can find any time and are interested, I could pay you something too if you want? :)

Waiting for Brent and Rays response ..lets see if they can help ...

Flick up a pic of how bad it is at the moment man. I could probably lend a hand sometime, it seriously is really easy. just gotta buy the right glue. 3M 90 is the best, you can get it from Gordan Harris in Newmarket its about $40 a can. I used about 3, but I think you can get away with using 3... Here are some pics before and after of mine...

post-29-1277712712.jpg

post-29-1277712728.jpg

post-29-1277712741.jpg

post-29-1277712755.jpg

Guest BimmerzE36

Flick up a pic of how bad it is at the moment man. I could probably lend a hand sometime, it seriously is really easy. just gotta buy the right glue. 3M 90 is the best, you can get it from Gordan Harris in Newmarket its about $40 a can. I used about 3, but I think you can get away with using 3... Here are some pics before and after of mine...

Wow, not bad man...looks good! I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, Its gone bad, like a tent, I used thumbtacks ( yep) to hold it in place! So you reckon 3x spray bottles of 3M 90 would do the trick? (thats around ($120)

Im around Mount Albert, where abouts in Auckland are you located?

You can get away with two I reckon.. I did mine last year and it was still firmly stuck when i sold it a few weeks ago..

Flick me a PM and we can sort something

Edited by RJS

I think that one of them has offered you a deal of a lifetime, best you get in quick before someone else does!

Guest BimmerzE36

I think that one of them has offered you a deal of a lifetime, best you get in quick before someone else does!

I know Jono.. But he hasnt replied to my PM or the message here... :(

I know Jono.. But he hasnt replied to my PM or the message here... :(

Give them a call dude, they're busy guys!?

Guest BimmerzE36

Give them a call dude, they're busy guys!?

Your right, will do tomorrow...

Guest BimmerzE36

Called Ray today, unfortunately some one else got to him first(thats a lot who ever that was)....

So I tried removing the headliner and got to the whole part of removing every piller but then it just wont come off...like its welded on the back!

I so much want to physically show my hate towards the BMW guy who decided to use these poor quality foam to glue the headliner from the factory.. I mean its a bloody Bimmer, its supposed to be using good meterial, not cheap crappy foam... :mellow:

Edited by BimmerzE36

Called Ray today, unfortunately some one else got to him first(thats a lot who ever that was)....

So I tried removing the headliner and got to the whole part of removing every piller but then it just wont come off...like its welded on the back!

I so much want to physically show my hate towards the BMW guy who decided to use these poor quality foam to glue the headliner from the factory.. I mean its a bloody Bimmer, its supposed to be using good meterial, not cheap crappy foam... :mellow:

Its folded over and slotted in a gap at the back just slide the whole headliner backwards and pull down

Guest BimmerzE36

I gave it a good yank and the whole thing kinda "fell on my head" its in my garage now, outta the car, now maybe I can give the 3M 90 a Shot, but just cant get the gutts to do it... :unsure:

Any body :) please give me a hand..

Can't help ya there buddy, but out of interest, the headliner can really be taken out of the car through the door? Assuming you have a coupe.

Mine is beginning to come unstuck in a couple of areas <_<

Guest BimmerzE36

Can't help ya there buddy, but out of interest, the headliner can really be taken out of the car through the door? Assuming you have a coupe.

Mine is beginning to come unstuck in a couple of areas <_<

Yea Buddy, just when I thought I'd give up, I gave it a final yank and off it came... Yep..took just around 10 mins and another 1-2 min getting it out of the car <_<

Just washed the headliner and it looks brand new, when I get some time I am going to clean the foam off the fiber glass and then use 3M 90..hopefully I'll have some one to give me a hand by then, maybe next week....

Guest BimmerzE36

F BMW AND THEIR EF ING HEADLINER<

I wasted my $90 today and the POS was the biggest PIA I even did....

ALl I asked was to somebody to give me a Efing hand, I'll bloody pay ya... but NO!!!!!! NO ONE GOT EVEN AN FING HR FOR THAT..............

Never had a headliner problem before with any car, Bloody BMW AND THEIR POS GLUE AND HEADLINER

I can do all the mechanical bull but I cant do a headliner... F it, Im just gona pay some Professional RIP OFF to Take 350 and do it for me...

Edited by BimmerzE36

its not the glue its the foam thats in between the fabric and card board it just degrades after 15years or so just like any foam etc .

most modern cars with this type of hoodlinning fail at some point ,

we sell audi , vw and others at work all doing the same , even e46 , e39 , e38 later models also go .

pwned. the moral of the story is to pay some dude to do it, cause you know he will be much better than you.