Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Peugeot 306 GTI-6 - common problems?

My other brother wants to buy a Pug (traitor)... specifically this one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=300113773

Posted Image

Any or all advice on things to look for, common problems, maintenance required etc would be most helpful. I did a bit of Googling but can't find too much info on this model specifically.

Thanks in advance!

Looks tidy enough...cambelt done ......... but it is "French"

Ok...

basic run down.

Cambelt = 80,000km OR 4 YEARS - what ever comes first - so check the date of when it was done.

The car is what they call a 306 N5 Phase 2 as it's the gti-6 with the Alcanteria swade inserts in the seats. There was a later Phase 3 they are the 2000 onwards model. The Phase 1 was the 94 - April 97 306 N3 S16, the Phase 1.5 has the same seats as the Phase 1 but had the facelift body and interior as the Phase 2 and 3.

The 98 onwards S16's are Jap import GTI-6'S as the S16 (N3) had a very very good name over there and they marketed on it.

They do have passive rear end steering, and they do have lift-off overstear not as bad as the 205's but still very much there.

Problem Area's.

Rear Axle: It's a tube with roller bearing in it, the bearings don't tend to move a hell of a lot and can wear the shaft over time. It will cause funky toe and camber issues. It shouldn't a problem on a car of this many km most tend to have the problem after about 200,000km - it's the same problem as the 205/309 and there are lots of rebuild guides around.

Electric Window motor: A few people have complained about the motor failing but i haven't met anyone that has actually had it happen. The biggest problem with them is a poor design on the plastic part the pull wires for the window operate on, if someone smashes the window there is a high probablity that the motor unit will need to be replaces as the plastic part breaks and you can't replace it. You can get the motors out of Aussie/UK if you need to for not a heck of a lot.

The body's are galvanized so they don't really rust.

The lower control arm bushes do wear not a major to replace but if you buy the parts through PUG NZ they are expensive, incidentally the PUG Sport group A bushes are very cheap (i.e. you can replace all 4 bushes for the price of a single OEM bush)

Heater Matrix: These do leak from time to time and it's not to replace it just time consuming as its a dash out process, again lots of walk thoughts on how to replace it step by step.

Clutch cables (mechanical): A few people report these drying out and snapping, never had it happen to me tho. Piss easy to replace.

The turning Circle is poo when turning right, as to fix the 6 speed box in the car they extended the box and had to limit the lock turning right to prevent tyre rub.

The wheels have no center hole so you need to find a place that has a 4 stud balancer.

Edited by DRTDVL

Have a look at these:

GTI-6 & Rallye Owners Forum Buyers Guide

Also forget the top engine mount, they can crack the base mounting plate which in some cases required welding to fix.

Remember it's not that bad, Think of the list you guys could create if you where to mention what to look for in a E36

Heath... you're a f**ken legend!

Thanks mate, really appreciate it! That's a lot of typing. :D

Oh if the tyres are good and the suspension is good you WILL want to test it on a twisty road...

The brakes on the GTI-6 are 283mm and have a large single piston. Its a very common upgrade on the lower 306's and the 205/309's to take the brakes off the gti-6 and put them on them.

You can buy a supercharger kit for them also. they come in 2 variants a high and low pressure version being 400hp and 250hp. There is a guy in Aussie by the name of PeterT who makes some very good cams at extremely reasonable prices.

No probs man... Glad he's looking at something a bit different.

Oh the clutch cable is HEAVY feeling in them... it's not screwed, just means you need to be a man to use it. It's something a lot of people complain about, especially if they are use to a hydraulic clutch

Edited by DRTDVL

Just to throw something else into the mix... You can get a 206 Gti for roughly that price also.

Might be worth having a look at one of those also, the 306 is an older design... Some people say the last of the true handling Peugeot's but the 206's are not bad and are a very nice torque car.

Would prefer the 306GTi to a 206GTI, 306 seem a lot happier in the revs than the 206 unless it's the 206GTI 180 which is a completely different car all together, normal version the 206 wins.

yeah the 180's are very much a keep it up in the rev's car, but the torque of the 206 gti makes it's not that much slower in a point to point situation.

... but it is "French"

I thought most of the 306s were built in Coventry at the old Rootes / Talbot factory?

Thinking about it, I'm not sure which would be more of a problem, a car built after a two hour wine soaked lunch by a bunch of surrender monkeys or a car put together on any day of the week by a group of militant lefty want-to-be Brummies?? Either way the build quality will be the same, very plasticky, everything will rattle or squeak until it falls off or you tighten it up again.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pugs, had a 205 Gti for 4 years and a 306 DTurbo from new for nine years, both great cars but there is a distinct difference in the fit and finish compared to a BMW.

A mate of mine has a 306 gti, I really really want it! Nobody does a FWD like Pug and they drive and look damn good. Brilliant wee car, he picked his up for $2k with a snapped cambelt, off came the head, sent away, bent valves fixed etc and thrown back on. Off for a drive and sh*t what a giggle! I would like a lil pug for a daily driver, but I am too tight.

And to bring up an old thread.

I have a mate who is looking into the following example on TM CLICK ME. Is there any thing additional to the above which is worth noting?

Does anyone know of a good place in CHCH to get a pre-purchase inspection and what are peoples opinions on the price. The link provided by Mark in the first thread is dead.

Cheers

Ian

*edit* - link fail...

Edited by Ian 540i6

Funnily enough, one of the guys at Jeff Greys in Chch is quite in the know with pugs.

I have a mate who is looking into the following example on TM CLICK ME. Is there any thing additional to the above which is worth noting?

Does anyone know of a good place in CHCH to get a pre-purchase inspection and what are peoples opinions on the price. The link provided by Mark in the first thread is dead.

I can't get you linky to work, but I'm guessing is the gold 306 Gti-6 which looks in pretty good nick to me (from the photos) and I have no idea on the price I'm afraid, not being in touch with prices on Pugs.

However, I did spot this 205 GTi on trademe, also in CHCH which looks nice

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-408897396.htm

for a more "pure" driving experience go for the 205?

Thanks Jon, didn't realise I pasted the wrong link!

I don't think he wants a car that old unfortunately, i'd rock that! haha