Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

A bit of old British Magic :P

I have just purchased myself another great european car.

It's a 1977 mkIV Ford Cortina Station Wagon!

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not exactly new, but its good fun and a real challenge to drive with no power steering, a very sloppy 4-speed box, and some very close together pedals haha.

Just thought I'd share, since its such a bright cheerful car :D

There must be some kind of error with your location as it says Porirua where it should be Gore, Gore spelt with 15 R's ofcourse.

Sorry LOL but they should be on DOC's hit list as they are an introduced pest much the same as the stoat & rats! What engine does it have? The 4.0's weren't too bad for a GoTina - in 1935 LOL!

The GoTina has been replaced with the P10 Nissan Primera which I call a MK 6 Cortina LOL

Edited by Clinton

It has the iconic 2L Pinto OHC engine, and it goes pretty good for what it is. Can't be compared to a Primera really, it at least drives the right wheels and the humble wagon doesnt even pretend to be a sportscar :P

And the sound of the old pinto.... not quite the howl of an M20, but its pretty awesome all the same :D

My old man had one of these Cortina’s new, was sh*t back then apparently but the colour of yours suggests it may be like a good cheese and has improved with age.

Well done anyway, it has a certain charm that makes up for its short comings

It has the iconic 2L Pinto OHC engine, and it goes pretty good for what it is. Can't be compared to a Primera really, it at least drives the right wheels and the humble wagon doesnt even pretend to be a sportscar :P

And the sound of the old pinto.... not quite the howl of an M20, but its pretty awesome all the same :D

theres an awfull lot you can do with that engine, i used to race formula 2's and that was the regulation engine,granted alot of restrictions on an f2 but can be boared way out and the rite carbs on it makes it a flying michene for an old engine. if you tinker at it dont slap the twin 40's on it use the 32/36 jetted ot to the max with the linkage of the dgav version that gives you full choke(both butterflys opening together instead of one then the other).. old banger or not you could make a very fun toy. what block is in it,should be imbosed on the side of it.

theres an awfull lot you can do with that engine, i used to race formula 2's and that was the regulation engine,granted alot of restrictions on an f2 but can be boared way out and the rite carbs on it makes it a flying michene for an old engine. if you tinker at it dont slap the twin 40's on it use the 32/36 jetted ot to the max with the linkage of the dgav version that gives you full choke(both butterflys opening together instead of one then the other).. old banger or not you could make a very fun toy. what block is in it,should be imbosed on the side of it.

Shame about the cam bearings.

Shame about the cam bearings.

not the bearings,common fault is the cam lobs and rockers that wear and makes them rattle like a bitch.

change the head to the unleaded big valve head,performance cam and matched hardened followers with an adjustable pully. sorts it all out and adds BHP.

It didn't help that there were only 3 bearings for the cam to begin with.

Well i have no issues with the cam at the moment, got bigger problems haha. Water-pump is pissing out coolant, and i can't for the life of me find a service manual for it. It doesnt get up to temperature either, which means once i find the thermostat i'd better investigate that too haha.

But it does look fairly simple to work on, which is always a bonus :D

Well i have no issues with the cam at the moment, got bigger problems haha. Water-pump is pissing out coolant, and i can't for the life of me find a service manual for it. It doesnt get up to temperature either, which means once i find the thermostat i'd better investigate that too haha.

But it does look fairly simple to work on, which is always a bonus :D

they are real simple, pump is on the front behind the belt so its just a case of paint up a few marks pull off the belt and think its about7 bolts hold on the pump,not much overhauling on the pump but more replacing,just make sure u replace the paper gasket.

ill have a look and see if i can find the old manul i have and get back to you.

they are real simple, pump is on the front behind the belt so its just a case of paint up a few marks pull off the belt and think its about7 bolts hold on the pump,not much overhauling on the pump but more replacing,just make sure u replace the paper gasket.

ill have a look and see if i can find the old manul i have and get back to you.

Sorted it all out, turns out the water pump runs off the fan-pulley, so didnt even need to remove the timing belt. It still leaks however, due to one thread for one of the bolts being stripped/clogged. So i cant get one of the mounting bolts back in. Oh well, I'll sort it out another time haha. Next step: Fix the loud, annoying tappet noise.

. Next step: Fix the loud, annoying tappet noise.

thought you said there was nothing wrong with the cam??? ;)

thought you said there was nothing wrong with the cam??? ;)

Hehe... its not really an issue per say, reminds me of the BMW :D

But it is pretty annoying haha.

Find a V6 (2.3 or 2.8) and slap that sucker in there.

Thats the German Ford V6 not that rattely pommie thing.

I did it not long ago. Real easy and lots more horses

Find a V6 (2.3 or 2.8) and slap that sucker in there.

Thats the German Ford V6 not that rattely pommie thing.

I did it not long ago. Real easy and lots more horses

The 2.3 was a turd. The 2.8 on the other hand is a beaut of a motor for it's age. The good ol' Granada had the 2.8 with K-Jet injection didn't it? somewhere between 170-180hp. Same as the Cologne Capri [Nom nom nom] which were such a bleeding grouse car! B)

Huffer, what did you pay for your Cortina? I want....

The 2.3 was a turd. The 2.8 on the other hand is a beaut of a motor for it's age. The good ol' Granada had the 2.8 with K-Jet injection didn't it? somewhere between 170-180hp. Same as the Cologne Capri [Nom nom nom] which were such a bleeding grouse car! B)

Dunno - I had a 2.3 Mk5 years ago - was a minter & it ran the same - made a great car from the old Cortina.

This was after a Mk3 2000E manual, itself a nice car but these cars were much nicer with the wee 6 in them

I didnt pay much haha... A measly $1145.

Ok, so got the cooling issue under control, just need to find a way to get a bolt for the waterpump back into the block... the thread in the block is either stripped, or clogged with thread tape. Does anyone know the best way to clean it out? Should i try running a tap through it? Otherwise if its stripped i'll have to get my tutors to give me a hand with a helicoil <_<

I didnt pay much haha... A measly $1145.

Ok, so got the cooling issue under control, just need to find a way to get a bolt for the waterpump back into the block... the thread in the block is either stripped, or clogged with thread tape. Does anyone know the best way to clean it out? Should i try running a tap through it? Otherwise if its stripped i'll have to get my tutors to give me a hand with a helicoil <_<

I would doubt that thread tape would stop it. My bet, since thread tape is in there, the thread has already been stripped.

Try blowing out with air - you should surely be able to clean the hole & be able to diagnose.

If stripped - then yes to a Helicoil

I would doubt that thread tape would stop it. My bet, since thread tape is in there, the thread has already been stripped.

Try blowing out with air - you should surely be able to clean the hole & be able to diagnose.

If stripped - then yes to a Helicoil

I would... but unfortunately i dont have access to a compressor. The plan is to take it all apart next weekend so i can get a proper look at it, hopefully it won't need a helicoil as I've never actually used one before haha. But it is definitely very gunked up, I couldnt even get the tap into the thread (the waterpump is still bolted up so i couldnt see why).

Posted Image

Huff3r, is that Woodbourne? Can see my old barrack room!

Small world.

Yes it is. Te Rapa block, room 1. My current room haha. I'm doing the NMIT Aero Eng course so I can go into the RNZAF as an Aircraft Mechanic :D

In other news, the Cortina is fixed!! Took it all to peices, ran a tap through it, and it all bolts up nice and tight and well sealed now :D