Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

A bit of old British Magic :P

So the Cortina is being very british. Its broken down. Haha, some massive wear on the camshaft on the 3rd exhaust lobe, and a worn rocker to match means she's going nowhere fast. The rocker has a habit of falling off, causing it to drop a cylinder and pressurise the rocker cover, spraying oil everywhere.

On the plus side i can now re-install the rocker on top of the valvetrain again in 30mins :D

But it'll need a new camshaft, and a set of rockers before it truly lives again

Buy the cam kit from ford

Comes with everything you need

Oh wait last one I got was 15 years ago so maybe they dont have them any more <_<

Buy the cam kit from ford

Comes with everything you need

Oh wait last one I got was 15 years ago so maybe they dont have them any more <_<

Perhaps i should try that. Just to see the looks on their faces. Even more so if they still stock it :lol:

The worst thing is that one of the rocker retaining springs has snapped, and no-one seems to know where to get them. Might have to go 2nd hand for that...

Perhaps i should try that. Just to see the looks on their faces. Even more so if they still stock it :lol:

The worst thing is that one of the rocker retaining springs has snapped, and no-one seems to know where to get them. Might have to go 2nd hand for that...

Might have a couple of engines if you want one.. probably only good for parts... last I saw them was when I pulled them out to put a later model engine in and they sat in the corner of the wood shed up in Kaitaia.

Might have a couple of engines if you want one.. probably only good for parts... last I saw them was when I pulled them out to put a later model engine in and they sat in the corner of the wood shed up in Kaitaia.

Cheers for the offer, but I'm going to try local first, as I go on recruit course in two weeks, so either need it fixed by then, or it won't be done till December haha.

I guess i didnt think about the availability of parts when i decided a 70s car would be fun...

Just do a Zetec conversion on it mate, simple, easy and CHEAP to do.

http://www.retroford.co.uk/

Yeah. Cos i can research and do that in a week and a half, without a garage.

Yeah. Cos i can research and do that in a week and a half, without a garage.

Well some of us could, and i think you forgot the sarcasim font.

Can you still get the Warrior twin-cam 16v head conversions - they were the dogs whatsits when I was playing around with pintos. Theorectically you should be able to get a Cosworth 16v head to fit, but I don't think it's a straight forward bolt on jobbie like the Warrior.

You should be able to do that in a week and a half without a garage - IF you can find one.

Ok, so it turns out the rocker arm retaining springs are near impossible to come by, so if anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Have sourced a Cam and rockers, so thats all I'm waiting on.

They look like this:

Posted Image

Coat hanger or no. 8 wire? :lol:

Still think you should do the Warrior head though!

Coat hanger or no. 8 wire? :lol:

Still think you should do the Warrior head though!

Haha, that might have to do. Currently the broken clip has been replaced with a cable tie.

Will definitely consider the Warrior head in the future, I have been promised $10k if I can get 300hp out of the pinto, and have it last 5000kms haha :D

I give up so I'm selling her. Put a new cam in and a new problem reared its ugly head. As I'm saving for a pilots licence i figure someone else can deal with it, so on trademe she goes:

Ford Cortina 1977