Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

e30 - e36 Window Switches

The goal in this thread is to confirm and create an open document for e30 - e36 Window Switch conversion.

attached is the .XLS file, if you add to it, please make sure the information is confirmed as we need this document to be as accurate as possible.

Ill start with a write up I did in my build thread

Document attached

So today thanks to Ray @ Hellbm (http://www.hellbm.com) converted my horrible e30 window switches to then nice 'click' feel of the e36 switches.

I first tried some green base switches which as I found out dont work. This is because the later model switches are infact digital encoder switches and only tell the general module (GM) to activate the electric window relays. E30's obviously didnt have such technology so I went for a white base switch.

Posted Image

So I decided to include a small write up to help others, this also includes a wiring diagram from the info I had at hand.

Green base switches (dont use these! :) )

Posted Image

Green base digital encoder

Posted Image

Green base pulled apart

Posted Image

White base switch (Use this or Blue base). Notice the thicker wiring

Posted Image

Inside the switch

Posted Image

Proper high current switch contacts to deal with the current from the electric window motors.

Posted Image

Before starting any of this DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY FROM THE TERMINALS

My brother has had a high current burn before and it burnt a hole right through his hand once, crossing these wires will do the same if you short them

So lets get started,

Remove the gear shifter boot. and remove the e30 window switches, unplug the e30 loom end and we cut the plug off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Twist the wires on following the wiring diagram carefully. Use electrical tape to shield the wires from each other (make sure you have it all covered) and reconnect the battery, turn the key to postion 2, and test you windows. You should also have the LED light up (you switch should glow)

Posted Image

Posted Image

After this, disconnect the battery and tin / solder all wires on the switches and e30 loom end.

Right nows the time to enlarge the switch hole in the console to fit the larger e36 switch. I took my time with this and used a half round/flat file. I thought about using my dremel but there is a risk of over shooting the mark and cutting too much off. constantly test fit the switch and surround

Posted Image

BEFORE you solder the wires together, run them through the enlarged hole. You dont HAVE to do this .. but it makes it easier to locate the switch.

Use heat shrink and a heat gun to shirnk up the tubes.CAREFUL DONT MELT YOU CONSOLE! :)

Posted Image

Repeat all of this for the other side, obviously following the wiring diagram to suit your switch type. My second switch was from the rear e36 switch panel so it had different colours I have included it in the wiring diagram.

Posted Image

Put it all back together and reconnect the battery and test.

All Done! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

e30_to_e36_window_switch___wiring_table.zip

Josh/anyone else, does anyone know if anyone has swapped their E30 electric sunroof switch to E36 also? I have noticed that the E36 switches used for the windows are the same as the ones used for the sunroof, so do you think it would be possible to make that work as well? JW

Edit found a guy that has done it, could be good to add to the resource?

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1001841

Edited by Brams

Mean,

I only have a manual winder for the sun roof but if you do the wiring chuck it down in the spread sheet and ill sticky it.

Yeap, will bump this once I have done it hopefully within a few weeks ;)

Guest Simon*

I heard somewhere that "switches get bitches"

How is this aspect of your upgrade working out so far?

haha .. not too well, its spent more time in the garage chillin with the washing machine than out doing the rounds.

The missus likes them cause you dont need a mallet to use the windows now. Does that count ?

I heard somewhere that "switches get bitches"

How is this aspect of your upgrade working out so far?

Quit whoring up automotive forums with wise cracks and non real car related rubbish.

Who's got the cheapest switches? I want 6.

keren and I will put some switches (with plugs) into bags for kits for anyone interested, hurry there is limited stock

call us and let us know if you have a 2 door or a 4 door E30 and we can take it from there