Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Petrol Economy!

ok after refining my figures i have a correct kpl

Around town spirited driving: 15.9L/100km

Around town economic driving: 12.6L/100km

Yet to take it on the open road.

Since purchase, I reset the M5 OBC consumption 1 and it's average is 15.1 L/100km however that will be mainly due to city driving which I do much more of now. Open road driving I've seen as low as 9.6 L/100km on average from consumption 2 which I think is pretty reasonable considering.

I know I need a fuel filter change, I wonder if that will make any difference?

What is involved with a professional 'tune'? How much does it usually cost?

My OBC is reading 8.9L/100km, but I don't believe it. How accurate are these? I'm too poor to fill the 75L tank to test properly :(. When I first got the car on the road it got up to about 16L/100km. E30 325i Manual

In my case it was a remap but have it done by someone with the right diagnostic gear.

And that was what mine was using

Edited by 1rotty

Round 350k to a tank in the M3, yes it is running very very rich, always has. Remap should fix that right up ;)

Just to be a bit different

E39 528 15.3L/100 km but that's towing the 2002 on a trailer which I thought was pretty good

e39 520i

15.6 litres/ 100 km around hilly town (Pine HILL! to Clyde St, Dunedin 3x a day return)

8.1 litres/ 100km open road (Dunedin to Christchurch)

I get about 11litres/100km or 9km/litre out of both the M3 and the Legacy GT in a mix of open road and suburban driving. I don't get caught in traffic jams or peak-hour bumper-to-bumper due to our rural location, and typically get about a 450km range in the Legacy before needing a refill. I always reset the tripmeter when I fill the tank and monitor the distance, partly out of interest and partly to cross-check the fuel gauge.

I also reset the tripmeter on my bike and use that as a fuel gauge, because (like most bikes of the '70s) it was never fitted with a gauge when new. Happily though, it gets about 18km/litre or 5.6litres/100km which, because of it's 24 litre tank gives it a range of almost 400km.

The M5 has a 70l tank ...

Highest km out of a tank so far ....365km

Average km out of a tank ..... 265km

Worst is Track day .... 138km

Have shares in a service station before buying the M5 :P

e39 525 auto

last tank got 619km at 9.1/ltr or 11/100km mixture of 4hr trip open road and fortnight of round town to work daily with frosty mornings

was reading that a saving from 15mpg to 19mpg is better than a saving of 34mpg to 44 mpg which most people don't realise

its all to do with percentages gained

What are the things you can do to make your car fuel efficient? coz i think my E36 3.16i consumes a lot of gas..

have MAF, throttle body, injectors cleaned??? ->well this do the trick.. anyone??

how much does it use?

how do you drive it? is it auto? is it hilly where you live?

how much does it use?

how do you drive it? is it auto? is it hilly where you live?

i only drive it around the city (wanganui) and my location is not that hilly, more of a flat. i had mine filled up for 50$, its 25.8Liters. Now the current mileage is at 144Km, and its a bit close to the mark where i had it filled up. so my prediction my 3.16i is around 6-7km/L. what can u recommend? cleaning MAF,throttle body, injectors??

What are the things you can do to make your car fuel efficient? coz i think my E36 3.16i consumes a lot of gas..

have MAF, throttle body, injectors cleaned??? ->well this do the trick.. anyone??

A good tune helps economy...HEAPS, getting in there, cleaning throttle body may help and unless you run your petrol very low often i would not think injector cleaner would help much.

25.8 litre tank? seems very small! My 318 is 55-60ish litres and normally costs around $90-100 to fill and ranges from 500km-750km per tank depending on hills and open road running.

6-7km per litre sounds very low, is that cruising and stoping at light a lot, are you heavy on the accelerator, i have noticed particularly in my little 1.8 that when i'm heavy footed the economy goes down the drain.

A good tune helps economy...HEAPS, getting in there, cleaning throttle body may help and unless you run your petrol very low often i would not think injector cleaner would help much.

25.8 litre tank? seems very small! My 318 is 55-60ish litres and normally costs around $90-100 to fill and ranges from 500km-750km per tank depending on hills and open road running.

6-7km per litre sounds very low, is that cruising and stoping at light a lot, are you heavy on the accelerator, i have noticed particularly in my little 1.8 that when i'm heavy footed the economy goes down the drain.

the 25.8Litre only cost me 50$ around half a tank. So when I get to a mechanic what service will I tell him? yeah i know 6-7km/L is very low. my 3.16 is automatic.. any help on this guys? thanks..

Edited by Leroy1985

mmm...the 540i touring seems to struggle to get beyond about 430 k's on a 65 litre tank - and that's nursing it!

pushing it hard in sport mode and I'm about 10mpg in the old speak. nasty but worth it!!!

The M5 has a 70l tank ...

Highest km out of a tank so far ....365km

Average km out of a tank ..... 265km

Worst is Track day .... 138km

Have shares in a service station before buying the M5 :P

After reading that I'm never complaining about fuel economy ever again.

Until I get an M5 in the future :ph34r:

guys need help.. what can u suggest so that i can have it repaired/cleaned/changed by a mechanic... cheers!

16 imperial miles per gallon, 17L/100KM off the top of my head conversion? That's average before a tune [had to be run with choke half open....fail]

Holley carb + V8 = serious fuel economy.....

Average 8.9L/100

An hour and half has it empty on track though where average goes up to well above 25L+/100 <_<

What is it exactly you are wanting to know?

on what i can do so that i can have normal consumption on petrol. any suggestions on repairs/cleaning/replacements, etc? so that i can go to a mechanic and have it done. cheers.

Get it scanned.

maybe thoes things are new enough to give useful readings from a scanner.

What he said^^^ or a basic tune would help your cause, Plugs, Points, Idle control valve clean etc you never said how heavy on the accelerator you are!? As a heavt foot, small engine plus heavy car can eat the gas!!

Check out this website, will help you...

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e36

The E34 normally does about 13L/100Km around town with a lot of stopping and going. Open road the missus can get it down to about 9.5, whereas my best is only 10.5! Different driving styles huh :rolleyes:.

It was running quite badly a wee while ago, getting about 18L/100k.. rough idle, lack of power etc turned out to be the pipe from the airflow meter to the engine inlet had worked itself loose, bloody hard to see! had me a bit worried though!

Also, what do you guys reckon about running wider tyres.. you reckon it affects fuel economy much?

Spent the last 3 days in a 2010 Ford Mondeo Diesel Stationwagon.

968k's out of a tank without the fuel light coming on which is 5L/100K. Thats all sorts of driving, open road and town etc.

Awesome Car