Sign in to follow this  
dbkiwi

E30 M3 EVO for sale

Do agree... wernt the sport evo's 2.5L aswell?

Yeah the Sport Evo's are 2.5 the Evolution II is 2.3.

It's still an Evolution II so definitely worth the money, i believe!

This is what it's got:

Evolution 2: This model was available in 1988 as Evolution 2.

The Evolution 2 had a 2.3 litre engine with 220 HP and a top speed of 244 km/h.

Some differences between the standard M3 and the Evolution 2 included a higher

compression ratio, some lighter bodyparts, a deeper front spoiler and bigger wheels.

The Evolution 2 was available in Misano Red, Macao Blue or Nogaro Silver.

There were only 501 build between March and May 1988.

Definitely worth the money!!!

Edited by FleXturE

He tells me it's an Evo 1 rather than a 2! Does that make a difference?

It does seem a little on the highside pricewise even if it is

fantastic! Wasn't an evo sport for that money on trademe earlier this year? That was mid $70k's. Did anyone here buy it?

Andrew

I would really recommend just having a look at this car, maybe pictures don’t do it justice and maybe it seems a bit expensive but it has presence that most E30’s M3's can’t match, this car has not left mind since I first looked at it, it’s a really beauty to behold. It was listed for $67,000 and sold for mid 60’s 9 years go so not the greatest investment but a fun one.

Remembering the Group-A cars had 18†wheels and that’s what the EVO’s guards are pumped out wider to accommodate so those wheels look perfect on it and fill the wider guards perfectly.

Looks like this car is an Evolution I but has Evolution II spoilers added. Being NZ new maybe BMW added a few extra’s to bring it upto date at point of sale remembering it would have sold after the Evolution II was released in Europe, note the M-Tech-II steering wheel wasn’t on the 87 cars either and has most likely been added, im sure the owner can fill you in on most of this but it would defiantly be worth asking about, it is a special and collectable car but I can understand concern as he is asking a $35,000-$40,000 premium over a regular car.

Haha. I have driven nothing but LHD for 20 months now, and once in a blue moon I still go to get in the wrong side of the car.

However, learning to drive LHD, even a manual is easy and I was used to it quickly. In saying that for the first while I whacked the door reaching for the gear stick, and handbrake a few times.

HAHA, not nearly as much as you looked into space for your rear view mirror I'll bet!

Going of S14.net it's an Evo II

Evo 2 VIN: 2191372 to 2191953

Prod. date: 03/88 to 5/88

Guest Simon*

HAHA, not nearly as much as you looked into space for your rear view mirror I'll bet!

That's what always throws me in a left hooker - "where's that bloody mirror gone?!" :D

Going of S14.net it's an Evo II

Evo 2 VIN: 2191372 to 2191953

Prod. date: 03/88 to 5/88

That would explain the Evolution II appearance. Does it mention if the Evolution II had the M colours on the rocker cover and intake manifold?

Confusing this E30 M3 business! Would be hard being a potential investor trying to get all the information.

Yeah it comes with M colours.

More info:

S14.net

Edited by FleXturE

I never looked in the wrong place for the rear view mirror, or have even thought about it. But now that you mention it am wondering why I never looked in the wrong place!

What I still find funny is that when I dream, if my dream takes place in NZ, and I am in a car at all, the driver (whether it is me or someone else) is always on the right, yet if my dream takes place here, the driver is on the left, and the side of the road driven on is always correct for the country.

I also think that driving LHD when every other car around you is doing the same, and you are driving on the RHS of the road is easier than initially driving a LHD car when every car around you is RHD.

Sorry, I have digressed off the actual thread topic!

In my dreams, the pirate ship is always RHD.

Yeah it comes with M colours.

More info:

S14.net

Awesome. Cheers. So it’s an Evolution II then.

That site is useful, must be one the best English resources on the net.

Do agree... wernt the sport evo's 2.5L aswell?

I was being a bit obscure there when I said about getting the Evo II & Evo Sport muddled up. What I was referring to was the price would be more in line with the more desirable and sought after Evo Sport rather than the usually cheaper Evo II which this car is, even before you take into account the RHD conversion.

Funny that the seller thinks its an Evo I, they are usually even lower priced and don't fetch much of a premium over a standard E30 M3 :rolleyes: , wonder if I could convince them??

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic example of a great car, but for me it's too nice to turn into a race car which would be my intention.

Yes! I was in line to buy it when my other 1/2 made it quite clear she would never ever sit in the RH seat or drive a LHD. Very, very clear.

Which is shame as I had it checked out the red car using the well known Graham Clyde at DCH Motorsport. Real car, checks out and Graham thought - although it was US spec and obviously an import - it was good! But you should check with him for full details on 03 348 3189.

Gary Cliff (vendor) is a well known in CHCH, ex rally driver and car buff who runs a good business

After the direction! concerning RHD v LHD, I stopped looking at it and am in the market for a RHD M3!

CFN

Andrew

You could always have one converted, would not cost much today, parts are cheap as for E30's.

Z3 Steering

Regular E30 Dash

A few grand’s worth of labour.

I made some inquirys on the CHCH car when it first came on the market but decided not to take it any further. Did the dealer have any service history or documentation with it to back up the mileage and did the appearance of the car match the 50clicks on the odo ? Very very low if they are genuine.

Hi Phil75!

"Import" so limited info, as to be expected. Interior was as per milage and no significant body damage as I recall. The car well but as I was going to have the engine rebuilt/tweaked by Graham anyway, so I wasn't too worried about actual miles. Best to chat more to Graham if you want to know more as I'm not a mechanic or M3 expert!! Just keen to drive it!

CFN

Andrew

I agree it doesn't feel natural to start with, and it can catch you out now and again if you're not paying full attention. It always used to the handbrake that caught me out - banging my left hand into the door when going to pull the hand brake up - I guess you don't do it that often so it took longer to change the habit. Given time and practise it does feel fine.

As for the cost of the conversion, I think it's about $2 - $2.5k for the conversion, plus on an E30 M3 about 30% of the value of the vehicle as it has been changed from standard making it less 'collectable'.

I agree Left hand dirve to right hand drive means F*&K all, its all the same i have never had a issue other than hitting my hand into the door when trying to pull the hand break up when parking like said before its all pratices and i agree that changing it from stock will lower the value, BUT DONT GET ME WRONG THIS IS ONE F!@#ING NICE E30 M3 ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE SEEN FOR SALE IN THE LAST 2years

Good luck with the sale wish i could afford it at the moment

I agree Left hand dirve to right hand drive means F*&K all, its all the same i have never had a issue other than hitting my hand into the door when trying to pull the hand break up when parking like said before its all pratices and i agree that changing it from stock will lower the value, BUT DONT GET ME WRONG THIS IS ONE F!@#ING NICE E30 M3 ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE SEEN FOR SALE IN THE LAST 2years

Good luck with the sale wish i could afford it at the moment

I used to own this M3 evo and sold it nine years ago. I can't see where anyone could have spent a "fortune" on it as it was genuinely mint and hasn't covered many 000kms since. This was a tourist delivery vehicle when new.

Very nice but I think the price is a bit rich for this market. Being RHD its only market is NZ & maybe Aus but they do seem cheaper there. Changing from stock does lower the value in my opinion but a very nice car regardless.

With that in mind has anyone inquired or view the red M3 in Chch currently?

Yup, this car has been on my watchlist for a long time, the asking price did drop down by $2k the other week, but with the arrival of a couple of more expensive M3s on TM the price has jumped back to $35k, which for me is a little too high a starting point for a race car! Looking mainly in the UK at the moment...

If you were serious about owning a eurospec EVOII, you would pick one up a nice one in the UK for around $NZD40k with the current xchange rate. No probs getting it compiled being pre-1990 and add another $NZD10k in shipping, compliance and GST. You would just need to be carefull of the common pitfalls when buying an ex UK car with rust/salted roads. That is the advantage a NZ New one has...pros and cons either way I guess.

Edited by Phil75