Sign in to follow this  
Simon 328M

Spacers-whats legal

If i were to space my wheels what do i need to know? Also where would i get longer studs and how much am i looking at?

Edited by Simon M328i

They need to be bolted to the wheel with counter sunk grub screws and you have to have high tensile appropriate length lug bolts. Pretty easy really.

I remember reading somewhere that up to like 4 or 5mm slip on spacers are legal if they meet certain criteria ect

I remember reading somewhere that up to like 4 or 5mm slip on spacers are legal if they meet certain criteria ect

No, any spacer of any sort has to be certed.

Like the other Josh said, counter screw (only need 1) into the hub, must be hubcentric and no bigger than 20mm thickness.

All spacers require Cert

19mm or shorter you just increase the length of the studs by spacer size

Over 19mm the spacer has to be bolted to the hub and then you bolt your rim to the spacer.

Got this from a Certifer last week

Like the other Josh said, counter screw (only need 1) into the hub, must be hubcentric and no bigger than 20mm thickness.

29mm is the largest certible .. that was the last info from I got from Lance/Arrow wheels

Sorry, was just going off what I was told when I had to get the old edirty certed, looks like alot of maybe mis-info being spread by certifiers across the land :)

Hmm interesting, seems so. 29mm spacers are pretty extreme IMO .. I wouldn't rock them.

Hmm interesting, seems so. 29mm spacers are pretty extreme IMO .. I wouldn't rock them.

Hi guys 27MM bolt on is the legel limit. 27mm and below have to be certed if its above 27mm it will not get a cert.

Thanks

Ummm, all spacers require certification.

Edited by Josh_

I think what hes saying is that if you go over 27mm you cant get a cert for it. Anything under and you can get a cert.

Get my Cert on Friday, Just to get this straight since my spacers are 15mm i dont have to bolt them onto my hubs using counter grub screws ? but just have longer bolts increased by the spacer length ? Cheeeers

You need to bolt them to the wheels not the hubs with countersunk grub screws and yeah increased lug bolts with at least 7 full turns to full torque. (NZ cert law)

Cheers Hybrid, was reading up on that link you gave me awhile back and it didn't mention spacers. Owell guess im not going to have spacers not really keen on bolting anything to my wheels.

Get my Cert on Friday, Just to get this straight since my spacers are 15mm i dont have to bolt them onto my hubs using counter grub screws ? but just have longer bolts increased by the spacer length ? Cheeeers

You will have to make sure the spacers are hubcentric on both your hubs and whels and they will have to be attached in some way.

just because im special i run 255 bolt on spacers on the front and 25mm bolt on spacers on the rear with an extra 5mm spacer between the wheel and the spacer, got spotted on last wof the mechanic had a good look at them then passed them with no cert same with ride hight about 75mm, i have never had any problem with the police and i regularly get pulled over for other reasons but neither ride hight or spacers have never come up.

I'm guessing you don't get your warrant at VTNZ .. probably not something to brag about, if someone caught on, say goodbye to your dodgy warrant.

just because im special i run 255 bolt on spacers on the front and 25mm bolt on spacers on the rear with an extra 5mm spacer between the wheel and the spacer, got spotted on last wof the mechanic had a good look at them then passed them with no cert same with ride hight about 75mm, i have never had any problem with the police and i regularly get pulled over for other reasons but neither ride hight or spacers have never come up.

hang on........... in your other thread you say you run 30(0)mm spacers...

Which one is it?

Oh.. and your mechanic is a moron :wacko:

25mm on front and 25mm+5mm=30mm on rear sorry for the miss type and there is many a place to get a warrant from i dont stick to the same place.

25mm + 5mm?? Wow. I'm usually one to encourage spacers but 2 separate spacers can't be safe.

While on the topic of spacers. Where is the best place to get them from? Ie price. Im looking for a Hubcentric bolt on type. 10-20mm

Most companies sell them for $200-$250 a pair. But can get them from the states for $90 US plus postage which looks the be the cheaper option. Any recommendations in NZ?