Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

A big thanks to Andrew (FLYRAT)

We have been having huge problems with our new computer system here at work since it was installed about six months ago. We've had problems with wireless, crashing, going slow and I don't know how many error messages and lockups requiring us to reboot and redo diagnostic checks etc. So far its probably cost me about $1,500 in IT Tech fees to try and sort out these problems. Well, it all got sorted by Andrew for me yesterday. You wouldn't believe what a relief this is being able to work with something that actualy works as it should.

We have replaced our modem for that latest Telecom Gateway model, removed wireless and gone ethernet hard wire because when I designed the building I had it all prewired for this.

The Problem: Both computers in our workshop had the same IP & Mac addresses, causing a huge conflict with each other. And No I didn't get it wrong... both computers had the same Mac address. God knows how this happened. This is all sorted thanks to Andrew :D

I never ever rely on a modems DHCP server for that reason. Glad it's sorted.

Thats weird tops for figuring that out. I always thought MAC #'s were hard coded at time of manufacturing?

Thats weird tops for figuring that out. I always thought MAC #'s were hard coded at time of manufacturing?

They are...god knows how this happened...but everything is now working great

No problemo Glenn,

It definitely had me puzzled there for a bit, I've never encountered duplicate MAC addresses on a LAN before.

In fact they are supposed to be unique from the factory.

They have definitely been changed at some point in the network adapter settings possibly by another computer tech, but I've no idea why they would do this?? oh well, problem solved now, got there in the end.

If you get stuck again dude, let me know.

cheers

Andrew