Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Front Drive BMW ?

End of an era.........

The EU is doing everything to spoil car company's reputations with their ridiculous emissions regulations amongst other things.

Look what Aston Martin has had to do to lower its CO2 average, buy a bloody Toyota IQ and stick an Aston badge on it... UGH!!

Edited by Mike-E36

yeah but...look at it!

I agree about fwd killing the brand...but still....GOD it's BEAUTIFUL !!!

BMW - PLEASE build this!

(and then make a 4wd M version)

Edited by M5V8

Killing the brand, since when were BMW still a premium brand? They haven’t been for years.

They need a FWD to compete with everyone else, this car will spawn three off spring and be the money makers for BMW.

It does look nice, as does the New Audi A1.

Killing the brand, since when were BMW still a premium brand? They haven’t been for years.

No-one outside of you in this thread said anything about "premium"

You can kill a brand of any repute by doing something contrary to one of the brand's core values (real or perceived). The same would appply to Walmart if they suddenly started selling Gucci handbags and other luxury good at full price.

I like to think that it enhances the brand, but I guess time will tell.

Having a FWD in the lineup will severely deplete my respect for BMW

Best looking BMW in years.

I don't mind that it is FWD, in times like these the wider you can spread your potential purchasing market for the brand, the better, and lets be honest, it's not like they won't sell any.

Thumbs up from me.

Edited by Brams

Maybe BMW can dominate the FWD market now too?

Lol at everyone having a cry.

It's a new car. If you don't like it (translation: FWD) then don't buy it.

I can see a lot more purpose in this car than in the X6/X3. And it looks great as well, very alfa.

FWD has a lot of benefits over rear wheel drive, especially in a car this small. Not every BMW owner wants to do big smoking powerslides in their cars. Didn't something like 80% of 1 series owners think their car was FWD.

Agreed. A modern FWD chassis is a nice thing and the latest generation Mini is dam fine drive spoiled by a girly appearance, this looks like it will resolve that.

1995+ non M3/5/6 BMW’s are all open diff and under electronic control anyways, hardly a recipe of power slides, wallowing tank slapping is more like it.

Anyone else think it looks like a Scirocco with a BMW nose?

^^ indeed. I'm with Brams on the best looking in ages aswell, would love to see an M version

Guest Simon*

Anyone else think it looks like a Scirocco with a BMW nose?

Yes. And all the VW guys swear so as well! :D

Looks pretty cool IMO

Scirocco looks cooler IMO.

Best looking BMW in years.

I don't mind that it is FWD, in times like these the wider you can spread your potential purchasing market for the brand, the better, and lets be honest, it's not like they won't sell any.

Thumbs up from me.

Well Said i love the look and yea why not sell to people outside the box that buy cars for looks?

boring ... looks like all the other models just with some proportions changed, and the wheels are too big.

EPIC FWD FAIL

Half the reason I respected bmw, they have just been demoted to the level with the rest of the auto makers

That is an amazingly good looking car. FWD or not, that would be the ultimate shopping basket. Jam in the 35i engine, 4WD and kgo.

Honestly BMW needs stop this rampant proliferation of models.

In the late 80's to mid 90's every model car BMW made was the benchmark of that class. All small sedans were compared to the 3 series, all family saloons were compared to the 5 series and the executive saloons were all compared to the 7 series. Their model line up was smaller and far more focused and thus the product that was offered was best of class.

I fully understand that they need to be competitive and in this day and age a small sharp hot hatch warrants a place in major manufacturers line up, I think this FWD BMW looks great and a turbo'd four pot would be awesome, but i just feel that the calibre of vehicles now being made is lower than what it used to be.

Will this be substantially cheaper than the current 1 series? If not are they just diluting current market share across more models?

You have to account for the fact that the competition has got a lot better, its 2010, the late 80’s was 20 years ago and BMW can no longer build a car that is makeable better than what’s on offer from everyone else, if they don’t expand they will be eaten alive.

Markets change, cars change, incomes change, fuel prices change. Why would BMW keep making the same stuff they did 20 years ago?

For any of us to question the strategies of a company as large as BMW is quite simply ignorant. They do what's best for their bottom line. It's a company, with the sole aim of PROFIT. They don't aim to please enthusiasts who are in love with the cars that were made 10+ years ago. And if any of you, as single consumers in a tiny country claim to know what's best for the brand, you need to pull your head out of your ass.

What they're making currently and into the future might not please us, but it will sure as hell sell like hotcakes.

The questions were of curiosity and were no way implying that BMW does not have idea of what they are doing. With over 90 thousand employees Im sure they have more than enough talent to steer the company in the right direction.

You guys/girls recon this will be aimed at attacking your Honda Civic/ Toyota Corrolla driver who may be looking for a more premium marque? OR going after the Renault/Citroen group?

Very keen to see how they market this one. :)

I'll bet that thing has nothing better to offer than a top spec Civic, other than a way higher price and outrageous repair bills. Why would anyone buy one?