Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Front Drive BMW ?

Markets change, cars change, incomes change, fuel prices change. Why would BMW keep making the same stuff they did 20 years ago?

For any of us to question the strategies of a company as large as BMW is quite simply ignorant. They do what's best for their bottom line. It's a company, with the sole aim of PROFIT. They don't aim to please enthusiasts who are in love with the cars that were made 10+ years ago. And if any of you, as single consumers in a tiny country claim to know what's best for the brand, you need to pull your head out of your ass.

What they're making currently and into the future might not please us, but it will sure as hell sell like hotcakes.

I like this guy, you do commerce at uni too right?

Edited by Brams

X2.

Im am near certain half the members around here have not picked up a car magazine in the last ten years other than Auto Trader which they think is a new car magazine and the only semi modern vehicle they have driven is granddads 2005 Toyota Aurion and are completely oblivious to two new companies called Audi and Mercedes Benz, both offer a small FWD car and are looking to be the number one “premium†car company before 2015, they most likely haven’t seen the price of New Japanese small premium cars nor serviced them.

These people are who BMW are targeting with this car :wacko:

Yessur, 1st year economics/finance at vic.

What's your major?

What's your major?

3rd year Marketing/Management

Back on topic, I am enjoying this discussion, best one on here in a while.

EPIC FWD FAIL

Half the reason I respected bmw, they have just been demoted to the level with the rest of the auto makers

Though Lotus seem to reckon FWD works better than rear for smaller size'd vehicles.

BMW probably are using this theory too. Hopefully BMW make it a very good FWD car, not just a generic shopping basket like many FWD cars are these days.

They do, it’s called the Mini and its one of the best FWD chassis available. Because this is sharing the next gens platform it will be brilliant.

Who here would actually buy one? Anyone?

I would and have friends who would, its more than just selling a great car its selling a great brand and experience. Im guessing its aimed at a 25-35 year old buyer with 35-45k to spend, I can see how this is very appealing, I see it as a great way to get into a new BMW and experience what owning a new BMW is like, anyone who does buy new cars and has experienced BMW’s customers service will understand, BMW know people like myself don’t want a entry level one series nor do we want a compact biased three series, we know RWD is great but what good is it when the car only has 90kw and no options, we will likely head across the road and buy a nice new VW Golf or Audi A3 as it will have far greater performance and standard equipment.

Ugly little hatchback. Replacement for the TI but twice as homo imo.

Surprised you don't want one then Dan, you big man you :P

Spose you will be climbing all over it huh.

Ugly little hatchback. Replacement for the TI but twice as homo imo.

Chuckles

The thing that worries me is... what if they decide they like FWD, and then start sticking it in all their models? :o

I think it'll go alright, and the people that will but this are the same people that buy a3's and other euro hatches.

BMW is aiming to be the biggest car maker in Europe, germany's GDP was up 3.5%, all based on their exporting (cars)

Gone is the day of the high premium luxury BMW, they've dropped to just a premium brand, but that has to happen to survive the economy crap..

They used to be ahead of the game and also their performance was aswell, now almost every car comes with leather seat options and multi function steering wheels.

Even if this wee car comes with only a 1.8 or 2L it'll still sell, I'm sure this will have a big push with diesel engines too.

/\ Agreed.

Plus once your associated with a brand like BMW I think most people stick with it, FWD or not BMW has loyal customers. They're just opening up their range of cars to lure more potential customers

Having a FWD in the lineup will severely deplete my respect for BMW

They already have mini in their line up.

I'll bet that thing has nothing better to offer than a top spec Civic, other than a way higher price and outrageous repair bills. Why would anyone buy one?

Do you know Honda want over $40,000 for a top spec civic 2.0s these days! We test drove the current 2.0S a few years back and yes it has all the spec boxes ticked, went OK, but it was poorly put together, and rattled.

And as for outrageous repair and maintence bills - you are talking about Honda! I've had a lot of Honda's and they cost about the same to service as a BMW, or more, labour is labour and it takes about the same amount of time to do the required maintenance. Often the Honda parts were more expensive than BMW. Try repairing a Honda 5 speed automatic gear box which was only dealing with 1/2 the power of the equivalent BMW unit and see how much change you get from $6,000. Oh and it may have failed at not much over 100,000km. They have nice engines but shite gearboxes.

I personally love what Honda has done over the years as the best in FWD. I can't love wehat they are doing now. Their best moments were the NSX, the 2006 Legend (an underated car), athe now defunct S2000 (which was rear wheel drive), and the killed off V10 NSX replacement, and the Type R range. We have a 2001 Odyssey V6 with 4WD. It's the ideal family vehicle. The thing they sell as the Odyssey here in NZ now is a smaller underspecd and overpriced yawn. They have truely forgotton the passion for cars that Mr Honda had, and customers who have a passion for cars. Bean counters run Honda now not engineers.

So yes I'd buy a BMW FWD car, and I'd pay a premium because of the innovation in engineering built into every BMW. BMW has an extensive range of cars that are at least equal with anything else in the world.

Edited by jimbo

BMW are trying to be the next GM, it's a premium label in the USA so spreading the ranges out is a good move, financially, at the end of the day they don't have that many models compared the the likes of say Honda or Toyota.. Plus who here is looking at buying a 2010/2011 model anyway?

That we fwd will have a big following, look at cars like familia's etc.

Speaking of GM they sold more cars in china so far this year than in America..

Who cares what BMW become, we'll always have the e24-e30-e34-e36-e39 etc.. Cars that we like for a reason.

Atleast we'll never get mistaken for boy racers!

Oh who owns Porsche? They are extending their line up.. And I'm sure there are a few 911/928 owners cringing and the and cayenne. Lambourghini.. The gallardo was just an attempt to keep the brand going..

Edited by shaneg

Talking of GM and BMW, I hadn’t noticed until today when I was saw a BMW add in today’s Herald but the BMW concept car BMW are posting everywhere claiming to be ground breaking is quite similar looking a concept to the GM Ultralite cars used in the Demolition man movie way back in 1992… Either movie makers are onto-it or BMW are behind the times :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Ultralite

And dont forget that Audi also built and still builds many fine handling, balanced and desirable FWD cars. I still have a preference for RWD but the difference between the two has in reality narrowed to the point where it no longer makes a difference.

Edited by ducatiss