Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

E30 Mtech 1 323 Birthday.

Could probably fix the brace with some ~5mm packers to lift it up over the bumps in the top of the struts, and slotting the holes even further to get it too line up. Problem is that the load is then all on the 2 piddly strut studs, instead of the strut tower.

Edited by Jacko

^ Decided to get the diegrinder on to it, pics to come when its tidied up :D

Im much liking the way the E30 handles off the motorway at the moment, it feels sweet around the twisty bits, but im over the twitchyness on the motorway, and at speed with roads with funky/deep cambered edges. She doesnt like straight lines, constantly having to correct it as it either wants to tramline into ditches, or generally feel not very reassuring. Porbably quite fun as a drift car, not so great as a daily driver...

Im thinking ive caused it with the 90sha bushes tightening the rear end up, and all the new balljoints in the front end, Added with the extra front camber might have actually reduced my front end caster. Im not 100% on this, shouldve got a wheel alignment when it was stock as a baseline.

Done a bit of research, and come up with a plan. Gonna crank up the front ends camber from 2 too 2.5~3 degrees, raise the car 10mm all round which should see 2-2.5 degrees camber at the back end. Currently have 3 degrees at the rear and 2 at the front...

Ordered some M3 offset CAB's (and that polyurenthane steering coupler) from ireland engineering, too try and increase the caster as much as possible

Anyone with some experience on E30 suspension tweaking think im on the right track? Or should I be looking at caster adjustable tophats etc?

Edited by Jacko

Steering coupler just fell to peices today, noticed it was on its last legs during the swap, but its gone down hill rapidly with the headers wrapped around it....

How long do IE usually take to ship????

Murphy is an evil f**ker

Edited by Jacko

Ultra racing strut brace fixed, thanks go to the 1" drum sander on the die grinder, the steel is very soft so it doesnt take long. Two "channels" into each fitting to clear the strut tower lumps. The fitting is near paper thin in places, but screw it, it fits how it should do :rolleyes:

The factory white paint wipes offs with acetone (I discovered..) so it got stripped and painted.

Seriously dont think this thing is gonna do jack sh*t for handling, its way to soft a grade steel and is a piss poor structural design.. But it looks cool :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jacko

lol I found that out too, mines satin black though B)

Cars been loosing coolant the last 2 months, just slowly.

I assumed it was a leaky hose, probably one of the atshole ones for the heater core.

Took the car in for it first service today, and too try hunt down the coolant leak.

Dropped the oil, and found my coolant leak.. Head gaskets blown.

Not feeling particularly impressed with the wrecker I bought the engine from who assured me they compression test and dont put fuct engines on the shelf when I asked.... In fact im thinking stronger words than not impressed are in order.

Not loving bmw at the moment either :(

Anything other than head gasket, studs, and a few random gaskets ill need to pull the head and spend more money on this thing?

I couldve well and truely been running a rebuilt mint FJ20ET in this thing for what the M50 has cost now!

Edited by Jacko

If anyones interested in buying this thing, As is, where is (still runs fine) PM me an offer... :(<_<

Dont waste my time, I know im not gonna get back what I spent, but it aint free :D

Im about all out of time, and energy for dealing with it though.

1985 E30 tech 1 coupe, 323 Sport, UK import factory 5 speed getrag 260

M325 half shafts

3.64 LSD (less than 20,000 km on LSD!)

M50B25, lots of new gaskets, new waterpump belts etc etc etc etc etc etc. Engine is mint with the exception of the headgasket!

E36 arms, New M5 mounts

95KSi polyurethane bushes on everything.

Whiteline sway bars, adjustable rear

17" Alpina reps, near new toyo T1R's (225x17x40)

Recaro seats, sliding rails.

Resonable interior

Sony CD

Brand new battery

New front screen

New radiator

New rotors and pads

New gearbox seals

New gearbox mounts

Z3 shifter with new bushes

M3 loom covers

Lightened M30B23 flywheel with kevlar cluth and uprated pressure plate

Electric fan

2.5" exhaust, custom made equal length headers

BC gold coil overs (have NDT cert for welding)

Qaulity fluids (redline etc )

Replaced every single locknut in the car with a new BMW one while rebuilding this thing :P

Plus lots other random little bits I replaced with new, receipts for everything.

Exterior needs respray, easy to fix rust in rear gaurds and few other spots. Including pretty mint replacement tech 1 kit, and decent chrome bumpers.

WOF and Reg for a few more months, no cert (was planning on doing the rust and respray first, wouldnt be hard to cert as it isnt a rangy conversion)

Have receipts for $$$$$ (yeh thats 5) spent in last 7 months, with the exception of the head gasket, its mechanically sh*t hot.

Edited by Jacko

Put $20 of chemi-weld in it :P

Irontite! my m50 ran on that stuff for like a year! Should have seen the engine when i pulled it apart, coolant sludge everywhere.

Thats dissapointing your project finished that way! I would be so gutted if my new M50 done the same thing.

head gaskets aint that hard. just do it bro. you will regret selling over a small problem. just my 2cents of gas

She doesnt like straight lines, constantly having to correct it as it either wants to tramline into ditches, or generally feel not very reassuring. Porbably quite fun as a drift car, not so great as a daily driver...

Im thinking ive caused it with the 90sha bushes tightening the rear end up, and all the new balljoints in the front end, Added with the extra front camber might have actually reduced my front end caster. Im not 100% on this, shouldve got a wheel alignment when it was stock as a baseline.

You can fix this easily with the correct toe out settings. Take it to someone who knows what there doing and with an alignment machine. I can recommend Justine at tire tech on the shore.

I run pretty mental camber in the front of mine and dailed out any twitchiness with toeing out.

Handles like a dream now. On and off the track