Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

E30 Series Race Car

87 Pre-facelift 320i

Headed out West this morning and picked up this beast =D from CageFX ( Chris )

Plan is to finish it as much as I can to get it ready for the BimmerSport Track day.

So things to do in detail this time...

Find out wtf the engine is doing ( probably real basic ) I think its the battery, but after jump starting it, it dies down and drops out in about 5 seconds. We didn't charge it very long so that might be it but Dad ( who probably just took a guess) thought it might be the fuel mixtures. Can't drive it as it just dies.

Dash is pretty much just sitting in with nothing in it, as I want to tidy it up and do a cheap paint of the inside for the first season, then fit the dash and all back in. Tidy up all the wires and crap.

Fit the seat and harness in. Gonna head to repco and crap some nuts, to bolt the seat down

Get cage paperwork done ( got the big file from Chris with all the sh*t Im gonna struggle to fill in. )

Get WOF

Get Koni's in

Just a little task or two, fix the bonnet which won't stay up. ( Chris said these are real good cars to learn on so Im keen to do 3/4 of the work ) fix the drivers do lock which seems to be jammed.

Pretty basic list I have probably missed out a lot. But sht it sounds great, Felt so good walking away from it with the key. =)

Ill get some better photos for you guys tomorrow, had to use my crappy phone camera today =(

post-5250-1280640093.jpg

post-5250-1280640291.jpg

post-5250-1280640319.jpg

Edited by Young Jack

No photos mate...

Edited by *Glenn*

No photos mate...

sorry all fixed

Please resize & repost

K done

Edited by Gotheschu

great to hear that you have the car

take heaps of pics,will be watching this thread

cheers

Jon

great to hear that you have the car

take heaps of pics,will be watching this thread

cheers

Jon

Lots, lots more coming tomorrow arvo

awesome it's blue

Well done. It’s very Blue. I approve. Just needs black wheels.

Cage looks good from what I can see in the photos, lots of good side impact protection - PITA to get in and out but useful in an accident!

Pre-f/l chrome bumpers ftw!

+1 On the blue!

Guy at a workshop saying the engine might need a new battery or a good charge....

water somehow got in the car with last nights weather so no idea how im gonna get it all out. haha.

i love the blue =D Not so much the chrome everywhere...

Battery charging now. =D Engine started first time and sounded great. Vid coming up some time tonight =) Waiting on some things but I'll dummy the seat up tonight. Heaps of pictures coming in a few hours

Good on ya Jack.

Paint over the chrome if you don't like it.

Keep the chrome. PFLs rock. Especially PFL 320i sedans :P.

Looks pretty tidy, will be good to see how you get on. Shame all the fun stuffs done already! (Stripping, removing heatsheilding etc haha)

First afternoon working on the car =D. Mainly just tidy up work after draining the water out. But....

Managed to get the seat in but a few small yikcups.

I have pretty long legs so the front factory bolts are too far forward.... So I need to drill more. But i got some questions.. Are these the right bolts to use for the back of the seat?

post-5250-1280743380.jpg

Also, its all good to just drill the holes where I need them? Because the current holes have groves in them and I must sound like a drop kick asking this but theres no harm in checking?

Next on the list after the seat and harness is getting the dash back in, ( need a WOF asap so basic stuff going on at the moment ) This isn't too hard? Any how to's or project forums where someone has done this =) Dash looks good though =D

post-5250-1280743411.jpg

And heres the video of start up and a little revvs. The accelerator is so hard to push...really need to fix that, but sorry about the lach of revving, ill do another vid later on once the accelerator is better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ebmwautoshop

Edited by Gotheschu

Yes, they are the right bolts Jack, and you should be ok drilling new holes, I assume you mean in the seat rails?

Sounds wicked chief.

You mean installation of the instrument cluster? Might help...

Yea thats it. My terminology is sh*t. My first car project. Ill get there =D

Cluster is pretty easy, just a few screws here and there, just gotta be careful not to snap the tabs off.

could try some silicon spray on the throttle cable, and on the pedal hinges. could just be hardly used and gone stiff over time.

Just getting up to fitting the cluster in... So just 3 connectors white yellow and blue?

But anyone know or have any pictures of what to stick in, and where to get the lights working. My first E30 of cause and since half the dash doesn't work kinda hard to figure out how to get everything working =D Hopefully got a warrant by Monday-Tuesday....

EDIT: Just trying finding the yellow connector for the cluster and can't find them anywhere. ( I didn't install the dash back in Chris did. But seems a bit weird?

And any ideas on removing the air con unit?

Any ideas?

Edited by Gotheschu

Few photos this morning...

Our camera doesn't seem to wanna charge so i've been using my phone's little one. And only works in daylight so just went and got some pics =)

So last night I got almost all the sound proofing out. Wish it was done before the cage went in because im pretty tall and was hard to reach a few spots =D

Also last night I prepared the dash for the new one but had a problem removing the air conditioning unit. Someone must know how to remove the bugger. Feels really fixed in there...

Last thing on my mind is the cluster connectors. I've only found 2 =( missing the yellow. Pretty sure I need another one because at the moment with both white and blue plugged in the revs don't work... and speedo to i guess.

Any ideas. I want to try get the cluster in and air con out tonight.

post-5250-1280866694.jpg

post-5250-1280866705.jpg

post-5250-1280866725.jpg

post-5250-1280866734.jpg

Cluster only needs the 2 plugs, your tach and speedo problems will be something else.

Heater aircon unit, remove 4 nuts on the engine side behind the scuttle panel on the firewall, and the one nut inside the car on the floor, disconnect the 2 hoses in the engine bay and give it a good kick. Should fall out.

Do you have much sound deadening to remove still? Grab some dry ice pellets leave it on the sound deadening for 10min or so then hit it with a rubber mallet. Makes life much easier.

Tacho - Have you checked your fuses?

Speedo - is it mechanical or electronic?

Do you have much sound deadening to remove still? Grab some dry ice pellets leave it on the sound deadening for 10min or so then hit it with a rubber mallet. Makes life much easier.

Tacho - Have you checked your fuses?

Speedo - is it mechanical or electronic?

yea. heaps of sound deadening to remove. I just cant get in a good position to get it off. So Imma gonna get someone short to come help =D I'm trapped at home tonight so can't grab the ice but I have the time to do it the hard way =D

THANKS david... Ill go give it a go now.

Edited by Gotheschu

Just getting papers ready to send off.. For the E30 series I only need a Clubsport log book right?