Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

E30 Series Race Car

You need a national logbook, not clubsport.

Also last night I prepared the dash for the new one but had a problem removing the air conditioning unit. Someone must know how to remove the bugger. Feels really fixed in there...

Just a question - has your car got a seperate air-con unit or are you talking about the standard heater and blower unit? You can remove the "air-con" if it is fitted, but you must retain the heater and blower unit for the E30 series(heater can be disconnected from the engine though) to de-mist the screen if required.

Heat gun works pretty well on the sound deadening, just wait until it starts to get soft and then move the gun along just in front of the scraper at a steady speed - comes off in big chunks that way. IPA works well on the glue that is left behind afterwards if you are really fussy.

Just a question - has your car got a seperate air-con unit or are you talking about the standard heater and blower unit? You can remove the "air-con" if it is fitted, but you must retain the heater and blower unit for the E30 series(heater can be disconnected from the engine though) to de-mist the screen if required.

Heat gun works pretty well on the sound deadening, just wait until it starts to get soft and then move the gun along just in front of the scraper at a steady speed - comes off in big chunks that way. IPA works well on the glue that is left behind afterwards if you are really fussy.

only air con unit i was trying to get rid of was the one in the picture above the second one down....I know about the demist though =) Yea, almost all the sound deadening out yet thank god. Just need to get the bit under the dash ( hard to reach for me) and the bit under the rear windscreen. =D

Jack, you have to keep the heater fan unit, you can change it for one which doesn't have the aircon, which comes in from the drivers side, but you must have a heater unit installed with the demist working.

Two heater types, the aircon one, which is about twice the weight of the non aircon one.

Edited by Silver Fox

Jack, you have to keep the heater fan unit, you can change it for one which doesn't have the aircon, which comes in from the drivers side, but you must have a heater unit installed with the demist working.

Two heater types, the aircon one, which is about twice the weight of the non aircon one.

the only thing i removed was the front panel. It wasn't connected to anything. I found all the steel wires that were connected to the sliding knobs were just cabled tied to the front part of the roll cage. and one had snapped anyway.

So long as the unit is still installed and the fan blows air onto the front screen you should be ok.

So long as the unit is still installed and the fan blows air onto the front screen you should be ok.

Sweet. You had me shtin myself for a minute there.

Sweet. You had me shtin myself for a minute there.

Not trying to Jack, just want to help and make sure you don't have to do things twice. ;)

Not trying to Jack, just want to help and make sure you don't have to do things twice. ;)

Yea, really appreciate it. I got no experience so can't really do the car without this site =D

^ Good luck mate, I was in the same position as you 2 years ago. Knew nothing (couldn't even change the oil in my car), originally wanted to build a car for the series etc, now I have done/undone/modified/adjusted everything to do with a E30 apart from a engine rebuild and know most of it off by heart. Make the most of all the help and discounts you can find in building up a car, they are worth their weight in gold. Soak it up all the help, if I hadn't have found this forum, it would've saved me a lot of money in the long run haha but knowledge and experience is priceless, along with all the friends I have gained from being on here.

Best of luck with the car.

And just another tip with the seats. Since you are using the Jamex seats (not FIA approved, therefore not covered in authority card but still ok for WoF). If you do drill new mounts in the floor for the seats you will need the correct backing plates riveted underneath the floor, and the correct sized bolts as described in Schedule A. Also, to make the car road legal with modified seat mounting points you will need a LVVA Cert.

If you can it would be more advisable to either make new rails, or modify your existing rails, in order to mount the seat where you want it, or get mounts made up that attach to the cage (so you can get it covered on an authority card ;) ).

It would be really unfortunate for you to need a cert, as they are just another expensive setback. Technically my rear seat mounting points may or may not need a cert ;)

Thanks Brams.... I can't change the oil in my car haha

Huff3r i just had a read of Ollie's and your projects ( really really helpful ) =D and noticed Ollie was using this set of rails that I have so I won't drill the holes Ill just use those rails =D which is great for me. Don't have to fck around with the seat getting in and out trying to get it right and they'll also get me higher up which is even better =D ( I know lower is better but I have long legs and not so big torso so I'd like to see a bit over the dash =D

Bit of an UPDATE

Sending off Homologation tomorrow or Monday so then car heads to the panel shop to get the Sun Roof done ( all off it is out except the top part which has the gap there that needs attending to. )

Get the hole where the antenna was filled up and sprayed and the inside sprayed a mild silver =D Only paying for the paint so not a huge dent and might as well get it done right at the start =D

ah just remembered if anyone has any second hand Series rims and tyres i would really really be interested!!!!!!!

Edited by Gotheschu

Ollies selling his 15x7 wheels

$800

Im looking more for some open spoke ones... Wheres the best place to buy the tyres and wheels new? And how much would it be usually?

UPDATE: My favourite so far =D

Finished off removing the sound deadening! =D And finished the first job kinda thing on a car I own. =D
Few more problems I've discovered. The Front door you might notice is held open by a stool. Thats because it won't stay open on its own, so I think it needs a new hinge, probably the wrong terminology but I think thats it and the same with the bonnet which I think needs a new strut.... So might PM Synthe or HellBm to see if they have any of them. But probably gonna get some pins for the bonnet anyway.
Sorry bout the crappy photo quality.

All the pictures to send off with the Homologation ( hope i haven't missed any necessary photos out) =D Can I just confirm do i need a national race license to get a log book? I know I need one to race but is it required to get a log book for the car?
post-5250-1281092141.jpg

My Jamex seat ( had no black left =( ) Still looks great, since i can't get the seat in without another set of brackets Im enjoying seating in it while watching tv =D ( not making car sounds...... ) Theres the door being held open.
post-5250-1281092153.jpg

All the sound deadening out. Started to get good at it, got some big pieces out all at once haha.
post-5250-1281092249.jpg

Thats how the dash looks so far....
post-5250-1281092273.jpg

My little wooden cabinet I made just before the car arrived for my treats and little parts haha.
post-5250-1281092317.jpg

Again sorry bout the really shitty quality of the photos, Ill try get a better camera for em next time.

No, you don't need the race license to get your logbook, the license is for you, the logbook goes with the car.

No, you don't need the race license to get your logbook, the license is for you, the logbook goes with the car.

just thought that cause on the log book form it says MSNZ license number...

Looking good Jack, A+ for effort and progress.

Re: the tacho/speedo etc not working, I don't really understand your problem but it might be the SI board batteries that need replacing. Pelican fix article.

Just leave it blank Jack.

Im looking more for some open spoke ones... Wheres the best place to buy the tyres and wheels new? And how much would it be usually?

We are the best place to buy new wheels :D . Gold would look awesome against the blue!

Tyres you can get directly through Toyo when you are registered for the series or come and see us for tyres.

Do you mean the 6 spoke wheels that you see on series race cars? Just be careful as we have been told they bend rather easily.

Edited by zenetti

We are the best place to buy new wheels :D . Gold would look awesome against the blue!

Tyres you can get directly through Toyo when you are registered for the series or come and see us for tyres.

Do you mean the 6 spoke wheels that you see on series race cars? Just be careful as we have been told they bend rather easily.

I was gonna text you today but heard it was your wedding ani so I thought I'd leave you alone =D Im thinking black, gun metal or gold. Those new ones you just got in look great =D If your around tomorrow I could pop in, and have a look.

As Foxy says leave that bit blank for now. Eventually all the paperwork will tie in together, but you have to start somewhere.

Once you have your logbook all sorted out you need to apply for an Authority Card from MSNZ which basically is a low volume certificate for the cage, seats, etc. only once you have the Authority Card can you get a WoF. A MSNZ certifier will have to come and have a look at your car before they will issue the card, just to check your cage, seats, belts, etc. they are usually pretty good and can give some useful advice, but book them well in advance as they do it in their spare time and can be pretty busy people (details of who to contact again are on the MSNZ web-site).

To get an Authority Card you will need to have a race licence of some sort, easy enough to get a clubsport, just fill in the form on the MSNZ web-site and then send them some money, upgrade to a National later I don't think you can do it at the same time. The cards are only for "proper" race cars which can be driven on the road so you have to show you are a proper racing driver - license, log book, etc.

It sounds complicated but once you get it worked out in your mind it all falls in to place.

Thanks Jon. Ill send off the homologation and log book Monday then =D

Small update

First vinyl stickers went on the car today. Bimmersport ones haven't arrived yet so just put Gavin's stickers on today...

post-5250-1281161909.jpg

post-5250-1281161918.jpg

Also, tried putting the rails in like on Ollie's car or how they were on his project thread... But the nut is too big to get in there so kinda stumped on that. Need rails as the seat mounts were as far back as possible but still to far forward ( my long legs ) The rails fit on the factory bolts just need to get a way of them to be secured. As I can weld some custom ones sadly.

Almost the exact same if not the same as these on Ollie's car.

post-5250-1281162331.jpg

Dont you need mounts then put the rails on top of that ?

Dont you need mounts then put the rails on top of that ?

The mounts do go on top of the rails.

Heres a video of my Tacho problem. Please send your opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krBrwV8h_g4

And heres one of it revving ( Better than the last one =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMM-Ux2_t8