Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

E30 Series Race Car

I have the exact same problem when the car is warm at 1500rpm to be exact. Have changed the intake arm cleaned AFM ICV checked all cracked hoses.. and i am out of options really- some things you might want to check out.

Would I be right in saying its the fuel mixtures and just needs a good tune or could it be something worse?

Depends on the colour of the crap coming from the exhaust - if it's sat for a while and not been run then it could probably do with a bit of a blow out. Let it idle for 10-15mins then see what is coming out, give it a rev to about 2 - 2,500 rpm and have a look. If there's a lot of smoke & crap take a picture and post it up so we can "analyse" the smoke signals.

And make sure you check your oil first. Just in case it is burning some, better make sure you have enough to start with ;)

Yea after about 10 mins it stopped while idling but after a hard revving there was a bit of it. Rung Gavin and he said if its just a bit then after a tune it should be good but he's giving the car a good inspection and giving me the list of things i should do before he tries tuning it, doesn't want to tune it unless everything is ok in that area. Said an airbox won't help that much at the moment but just need to get it running ok.

A good read. Missed this thread when it was first posted.

Coming along nicely Jack! Will look forward to seeing it on the 28th

A good read. Missed this thread when it was first posted.

Coming along nicely Jack! Will look forward to seeing it on the 28th

I agree, I am enjoying this thread.

Keep up the good work. What I especially like is how you are not backward in coming forward with questions for the more experienced people on here.

I will continue to follow with interest.

I agree, I am enjoying this thread.

Keep up the good work. What I especially like is how you are not backward in coming forward with questions for the more experienced people on here.

I will continue to follow with interest.

thanks. don't sound like that much of a idiot do i. :huh:

Seats and harnesses are in. Thanks Ray at ChubbRacing Ltd! Real helpful guy.

Car should be off to the mechanic tomorrow, if Gavin calls me back. =)

post-5250-1281841935.jpg

Edited by Gotheschu

Looking great Jack. Is that the www.rollcage.co.nz guy Ray?

Yea it is....

thanks. don't sound like that much of a idiot do i. :huh:

Quite the opposite, by asking questions when you are unsure means you are far from an idiot. An idiot would think they knew best and end up cocking something up.

There are plenty of racing series guys here with lots of knowledge and experience, make the most of their offers to help you.

More pics of the seat mounts. After I get it back. Ill get whats left of that sticky crap from under the sound deafening out. Bit real tidy job from Ray. Looks good!

post-5250-1281930093.jpg

post-5250-1281930122.jpg

Edited by Gotheschu

Sticky stuff comes off with acetone

Yea just waiting for a clear day to do it outside with all the doors open etc fumes are real bad apparently.

Even in the garage just working close to acetone made my head hurt.

Keep up the good work Jack, Wish I was into this when I was 15!

Little Update.

Log book and homologation just arrived although they thought my name was jarod....

Cars at the garage, but if he doesn't find anything seriously wrong with it, I should be good for Hampton Next week if I can find some Koni's to hire and some wheels haha. Might just have to go take Dads car or watch. Hard for me to get round $2000 is less than 2 weeks.

Edited by Gotheschu

Yea just waiting for a clear day to do it outside with all the doors open etc fumes are real bad apparently.

used the stuff in my racecar to get the last of that tar stuff off after scraping off the majority with a heat gun, had the doors shut too. good times.. ;)

used the stuff in my racecar to get the last of that tar stuff off after scraping off the majority with a heat gun, had the doors shut too. good times.. ;)

That explains quite a lot :P !

IPA is pretty good for getting the sticky glue off as well, not quite as hard on the nose as the Acetone and doesn't give such a bad hangover afterwards.

kinda big set back =(

So, after it was given a good check, found out that the wiring has short fused and is not worth repairing so need a new wiring loom. =( Dash is ruined. Hard to explain but the whole surface is like its been glued down, and is lifting heaps. So new dash has to go in. About a weeks worth of labour realistically just to sort out the wiring and dash. This is all the stuff we have checked out without putting it on the hoist. So I pray to god that the its a bit better under neath. Gonna cost quite a bit so won't be close unless I win lotto to even make the 2nd race.

Good news

New battery went in today and car starts and runs well just needs a real good tune.

After some advice car is going in to have the inside painted before we put the new dash and wiring loom in.

Kinda sucks, that I won't be able to make the first few races let alone get some track days before. All part of the sport I guess =/

Edited by Gotheschu

You need to talk to me Jack, can help. ;)

Nice one Foxy. I have quite a lot of e30 looms & bits of if you need anything.

You need to talk to me Jack, can help. ;)

Thankkkk youuuuuuuu.

Gonna send the car to have the inside painted and get the panel work done, so we can get straight into the inside i.e getting the wiring done. Might be getting a wreck p/fl 320i to take parts off, but will contact you guys when Im up to fixing this stuff. Thanks!!!!!!!

Minor set back bud, atleast it didn't catch fire. ;)

Should be able to sort it in an afternoon.

Biggest question so far =D

Got ourselves a 86 320i to take a dash and loom out of. Big question is. Is there any chance that dad and I could get the loom out of the parts car and the stuffed loom out of the race car. Then put the good one back in the race car. Is this too big/harder job for 2 idiots if not whats the best way to do this....

Any ideas appreciated. =D Hoping to get it done next weekend or the next.

Which part of the loom is stuffed, some bits under the dash unplug. I'd suggest it's a good couple of days work, depending on how much you need to take apart, is the parts car still complete? To change the full main loom you need to strip the whole interior, no small job sorry.

What area in Aucks are you Jack?

Edited by Silver Fox

Which part of the loom is stuffed, some bits under the dash unplug. I'd suggest it's a good couple of days work, depending on how much you need to take apart, is the parts car still complete? To change the full main loom you need to strip the whole interior, no small job sorry.

Gavin said needs a new loom. Its under the dash....theres a few bits. He said its not worth trying to fix. One bit is the wires heading to the light switches on the right side of the driver. Sorry im not that good enough to explain this in a way you guys could get what I meant. Yea, I know its not a small job, parts car is all complete so we're stripping it all out then another day we'll do the loom. Just curious is it worth (once both the cars are ready) Dad and I trying to do it ( if so whats the best way to do it) or it is worth it to pay someone else as I would think this is something they you'd not want to fck up, and I can't afford screw it up. Edited by Gotheschu

The lights on the drivers side are a subloom, they are plugged into the main loom by the glovebox and are a fairly easy change. I'm happy to have a look and give you some advice if you want? Be a pity to do more work than you need?