Sign in to follow this  
kiwinelson9879

E28 2jzgte

Hi Guys,

I did this in in Jan 2009 with a 1jz and auto, then sold it on once it was certed as I didnt have a job... Now that im gainfully employed and in need of a corporate looking car in the 10-15K mark that is fun to drive, has a bit of power and looks somewhat respectable in the office carpark (cant park a drifty looking JZX100 out there or I would) I end up looking at E28's again. What can I say I just LOVE the look of them

This time I have the experience of building the 1J version in an 85...

So the car is an 88 this time, which comes with a much better braking system set up (well more modern at least).

I need a 535 rear subframe and diff (LSD if possible) as I want to upgrade the whole back end (not just the diff head), any parts or advice I can get on this, if you have one for sale or know a solution that can handle 3-400hp without a worry, and will take some abuse, please post it here, I am keen to do this bit before pulling the engine.

I want also to make or buy a set of adjustable coilovers for the car so I can vary the height and spring rates as I see fit, I know Ground Control do a kit, but Im hoping for something local...

If there is anyone out there that knows local suppliers for nolathane bushes, sway bars etc, I will look at these as well as I want to get it all done and only run it through for a cert once, all in. Otherwise I guess its off to Ireland engineering in the states to get these parts.

I will be going with a manual set up this time, just the 5 speed version, and will swap out the 2jz twins for a single before I even start, nothing silly mind, probably just a Masterpower jobbie as I know a guy that knows a guy kinda deal. Custom made inlet manifold (using the stock inlet manifold on the 1j was half the battle when I did it last time... this time no f***ing around... after market inlet saves a plethora of issues surrounding brakes and wot not) plus it has the added advantage of allowing me to put my throttle body out wide for intercooler piping as there is F all room between the factory inlet mani and the radiator for a bend. Will go straight to a Link or I was thinking of trying out a Mega Squirt computer...

All sounds very expensive at this point, but my alternative is an 2001 E39 530i for 19K or so...

I know I will build this car for less (but no less than 12K), and it will be every inch as nice as an E39... and a bucket load more fun to drive. Plus the Mint E28 I have only cost me $2K and looks like a 50,000 dollar car all day long even as it is.

I am also looking for some E32 750 front brakes and the E34 540 rear brakes.

I am a cash buyer, so if you have bits or know any advice that can help me out please post it here...

Im building this one slowly, suspension brakes, diff first, then engine swap last, I will continue this post as I get into the meat of the build. (Last time I did engine first and then ran out of puff)

I appreciate any advice or information on people to contact for the parts or work I will need to get done.

This is one of these builds that I have thought long and hard about whether it is worth doing... and now for me it is worth doing as I am not going overseas anymore to work and wont need to sell it ever... I was thinking 1UZ for a while, but its just not as versatile... given that I may change my mind on the engine which is why I want to do everything else first... my mind is made up on the car, I could be swayed on the engine...

Before anyone mentions it... I know there is an E28 M5 on Trademe and it is lovely and very mint, but its just not me.

Cheers

george stocks or autolign for coilover sleeves

good to see you getting the footwork done before the power

can help with some parts . brakes and other stuff call around if you like .

Sounds great Nelson.

2JZ-GTE would be an engine I would also look at putting into a BMW following my 1UZ experiment.

I must say personally I would probably do an E39, but an E28 is much more of a classic BMW, so kind of a restoration at the same time, both would be great conversions never the less.

heya mate, im doing all the same sort of leg work as you for my E34 before i start my build. i have a few mates that put Jzs into pretty much anything they make all the custom needs themselves etc as well as wire it all up, they may be keen on doing yours to. Maybe put our heads together for knowledge and ideas as they are keen as to do mine but want me to do leg work so all specs and mods are certable.

check out the redline performance site for adjusties,they carry the BC range for BMWs not sure if they have for E28s but have for E34s so dont see why not.

bushes are only available standard as far as ive found except sway bar bushes-nolothane.

I agree with your choice to do engine last, i came to same conclusion.

If you would be interested in bouncing ideas over a beer let me know, i to want to get as much info/opinions as possible.

Karl

Hi guys,

Im progressing slowly, new job and summer has kept me out of the garage... will pop up to the Pub on thursday night in my other toy car, its not BMW but will have a few beers and a chat

Looky Looky what i got today :)

Still need some help with an LSD head if anyone has one and getting the coilovers...

Trying to make it an M5 replica, does anyone know where i can get the motorsport lip from?

post-3271-1296523460.jpg

post-3271-1296523467.jpg

post-3271-1296523478.jpg

Hi Brent,

I'm keen to get just the front bumper at this point... as I dont want to run the whole kit, do you make these or are they just a one off spares, Keen to look at the brakes as well, might be best to call, Can you PM me your number? I think i brought a window off you in 2008 you are in papakura yes?

will have 3.07lsd large case gears and pack available soon. keeping the case for new ratios.

if your keen pm me

will have 3.07lsd large case gears and pack available soon. keeping the case for new ratios.

if your keen pm me

Thanks for the offer but i have a 3.07 in my car currently, i am looking for a 3.91 if possible. A 4.1 would be perfect but rare from what I hear.

I ended up Putting a 1UZ in the car after seeing an e30 with a 1UZ in it. its a snug fit but a nice compromise, all motor, throttle response and a great cruiser. gas milage hasnt gone up any either over the M30B34. Having it as a manual is good craic too.