Sign in to follow this  
nipe

E46 front control arm dimensions

Hi guys, I'm in urgent need of some dimensions of the e46 front control arm, if anybody has one out of the car could you please post the dimensions from the tip (that goes into lollipop fitting) to the long ball joint, then ball joint to ball joint (by ball joint i mean the center of it), then the tip of the lollipop fitting to the outer ball joint and finally if you can, the degree of the angle if measuring from tip to outer ball joint center through inner ball joint. Thank you very much :)

Impossible to measure accurately because you cant find the centre of the balljoints.

The biggest difference between the e46 and the e30/36 arms is the length from the inner balljoint and the outer balljoint (30-40mm? longer). The e46 arms also have a hex shape that fits inside the lollipop, not round like e30/36.

Impossible to measure accurately because you cant find the centre of the balljoints.

The biggest difference between the e46 and the e30/36 arms is the length from the inner balljoint and the outer balljoint (30-40mm? longer). The e46 arms also have a hex shape that fits inside the lollipop, not round like e30/36.

yeah, I know about that :P. But what if you measure on the bottom of the arm where the ball joints have flat surface? at least approximate...I won't mind a bit of inaccuracy though

Guess that would work, was thinking 3d ha.

Guess that would work, was thinking 3d ha.

Would you happen to have one of those arms handy? (Please say yes, please say yes) :rolleyes:

I'll have a look in the scrap metal bin and see if there is an old one there to measure, however if you are thinking of putting it into an E30 don't bother, I've looked into this

cheers

I'll have a look in the scrap metal bin and see if there is an old one there to measure, however if you are thinking of putting it into an E30 don't bother, I've looked into this

cheers

If you can that would be good, thank you

Hi guys, I'm in urgent need of some dimensions of the e46 front control arm, if anybody has one out of the car could you please post the dimensions from the tip (that goes into lollipop fitting) to the long ball joint, then ball joint to ball joint (by ball joint i mean the center of it), then the tip of the lollipop fitting to the outer ball joint and finally if you can, the degree of the angle if measuring from tip to outer ball joint center through inner ball joint. Thank you very much :)

What are you trying to do ?

I'm replacing a couple of arms on a E46 320i this morning... I might be able to help.

Edited by *Glenn*

cheers

It has been done before, abeit not easily:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90004

Glenn would you be able to explain why this would be illegal? if you didn't angle grind it down and used these http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...ID=31126757623D. And got rid of some camber with camber plates i'd guess there wouldn't be a problem with it getting a cert

Glenn would you be able to explain why this would be illegal? if you didn't angle grind it down and used these http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...ID=31126757623D. And got rid of some camber with camber plates i'd guess there wouldn't be a problem with it getting a cert

I was commenting on what the Americans were doing or suggesting on this site:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90004

Your post ^^^ up there is only for replacement CAB options for E46's

Edited by *Glenn*

Yes I was refering to putting e46 control arms into an e30

Aren't e30 lollypops 60mm. If not i was using it as an example of how to get around grinding the control arm. Which I guess would be the only illegal part of this.

sorry op if this is off topic but I am assuming this is what you are doing

Edited by bbs

If anybody is interested in this info, hit me up, got the arms sitting here:)

P.S. Another question though, could anybody advise me how to press the CAB mount onto the arm the proper way? ( I mean whatg tool has to be used?) Thanks guys

Edited by nipe

Put the CAB in a vice, grease the centre of the bush and control arm spigot and push the arm into the bush

Put the CAB in a vice, grease the centre of the bush and control arm spigot and push the arm into the bush

But it has to be on the same level as it would be in a car when on normal driving height, or not? Edited by nipe

The Cab arm parallel to the control arm. You are using E46 CAB's and control arms ? It would help if we knew exactly what you are doing.

Well, to be honest part of what I'm doing is described in that topic from e30tech.com. I know it might be illegal, but it's the only way my application would work. I just don't want to stuff up the pressing of CAB's...

The Cab arm parallel to the control arm. You are using E46 CAB's and control arms ? It would help if we knew exactly what you are doing.

So do you mean the lollipop's mounting arm has to be parallel to the arm?

So do you mean the lollipop's mounting arm has to be parallel to the arm?

Yes... if you are using standard E46 CABS and arms. The arm spigot and bush centre is hex shaped. You can push them on & off a couple of times without causing any problems... just dont hit them...push !

Edited by *Glenn*

Yes... if you are using standard E46 CABS and arms. The arm spigot and bush centre is hex shaped. You can push them on & off a couple of times without causing any problems... just dont hit them...push !

Cool, thanks Glenn, that was a lot of help:)

It would realy help if you told us what you are actualy doing to the car and the reasons for the mods you are doing. You maybe going down a track that is not necessary for very little gain. What front and rear suspension set up are you using and what gains or reasons for this particular mod ?

It would realy help if you told us what you are actualy doing to the car and the reasons for the mods you are doing. You maybe going down a track that is not necessary for very little gain. What front and rear suspension set up are you using and what gains or reasons for this particular mod ?

It's all part of 5 lug, the wheel is too far back and the camber is too much positive

I just read a bit more on the other thread. E46 cabs don't fit an E30, tie rods & sway bars don't either. What are you going to use ? Track width in the front will be wider than the rear and you'll need to do big mods to your guards to get legal guard cover over your wheels. People have done 5 lug before without going to all this trouble & expense... or am I missing something ?