Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Need to install new door speaker in an E38

My 2 pair of Pioneer TS-C131PRS speakers turned up today so now I need to install them, or get someone to install them. These are weighty little beasts, and have a frequency response down to 30Hz, not bad for little 5.25" speakers.

I'm happy to do the amp install but after ripping all the rear seat, boot trim etc out for my Nav install I don't want to go near the doors what with airbags and stuff in there. Anyone know a good sparky / caraudio installer in the Wellington region preferably experinced with BMW's.

Update: Got my my E38 rear sub enclosure. The two outer speaker holes will fit a bigger speaker magnet than the 2 inner speaker holes so the 2 pair of Pioneer TS-C171PRS component speakers is a bust. :huh: Now back to buying 2 Kicker 6.5 inch subs in the 2 outer holes. I'll blank off the 2 inner holes. These speakers have usable base down to 25Hz which for a 6.5 inch speaker is damn good. 2 of them powered by a 150w RMS bridged amp channel should sound pretty good :P

Edited by jimbo

$60/Hour is cheap in terms of an hourly rate

Good Job doesnt always = Cheap Job

Edited by westy

$60 - an hour isn't cheap when it's $60 an hour no matter how long it takes. So the longer they take the more they charge. Only a fool goes into that sort of deal unless there is a pretty good recommendation from someone who can vouch for them.

Hence why I'm after a recommendation for someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to BMW's (and is prepered to show that by providing a quote).

The guys who sell the aftermarket upgrade speakers for BMW's instruction note to allow 2 hours for replacing all 4 speakers in the doors - so 3 hours for 2 doors is about 3x longer than it should take.

Edited by westy

Why not do it yourself? *edit* sorry ingnore that, just saw the comment about the airbags.

Edited by gouba

Why not do it yourself? *edit* sorry ingnore that, just saw the comment about the airbags.

I may just have to man up and tackle it myself - spent too much on the components LOL.

I did install them myself in the end. No problems at all. Pioneer tweeter fitted in the door with a little trimming of plastic and hot glue. The woofer needed an 18mm spacer in the door and the OEM grill had to be removed. Note - the glove box does not clear the Pioneer woofer grill when the door is shut. 

Didn't bother with the rear door speakers in the end. Driving them with a better gruntier 75w RMS per channel amp through passive crossovers gave a cleaner sound.