Sign in to follow this  
deane30

Favourite brew

The drinking age thread got me wondering what people on here like to drink?

I'm mainly a beer drinker and am a huge fan of Emerson's Pilsner as well as the Tuatara range (Pilsner, IPA and Helles).

If any Wellingtonians here are into their beers Bar Edwards in Newtown have an awesome range of boutique NZ and imported beers.

Southern, Jim, Glenn, and Beer.

Seasonal.

It’s cold so a nice red wine is always good.

Favourite at the moment, Short Glass, Ice, Wedge of Lime, One part Johnny Walker, One part Red Label Green Ginger wine topped off with lemonade.

After three I just throw away everything bar the glass and the bottle of Johnny Walker and kiss good buy to the following day.

Can't afford micro brewery stuff, but it's definitely the best. Had a couple of Cardrona ales yesterday at the Cardrona Hotel after coming off the mountain, went down a treat.

Heineken is my favourite "mainstream" beer.

Speights is good (bloody expensive nowadays though, $24/doz in supermarkets).

Heiniken, Grolsh, Becks, Speights, Haagen occasionally,

Anything I can get my hands on as long as I can drink it 'till I coma and it will be fkn mean bro.

Mainly a beer drinker as I can't handle my spirits and bad childhood memories put me off: vodka, brandy, rum, gin and scotch. I really miss my local beers from the UK, especially Shepherd Neame Porter, Bishop's Finger and Spitfire. Over here it's mainly Speight's or whatever is on special that week with the odd Belgian import if I'm feeling a bit special.

Mainly a beer drinker as I can't handle my spirits and bad childhood memories put me off: vodka, brandy, rum, gin and scotch. I really miss my local beers from the UK, especially Shepherd Neame Porter, Bishop's Finger and Spitfire. Over here it's mainly Speight's or whatever is on special that week with the odd Belgian import if I'm feeling a bit special.

what's the Bishop,s finger like

If drinking beer, Hoegaarden Grand Cru if i can get it, but Pure blonde is what i normally drink.

if i'm having a little dram, laphroaig or De-Wars would be the ticket, none of that horrible American rubbish ;)

Anything I can get my hands on as long as I can drink it 'till I coma and it will be fkn mean bro.

Chur.

I don't drink.

I do consume a large amount of coke though.

the one time a year that I'll have a drink, I usually go for oranjeboom

Becks and Stella for beer.

Anything Brandy otherwise or a good red.

A dollar a standard is the goal. DoBro was good value at 20 for 20.

Carlsberg for me

cheap and no hangover :)

Tui and Runfurly - both prestigious brews

Rough.. Ranfurly Draught..

Anyone here had the New Zealand Lager? my mates dad drinks the 440ml cans, nasty stuff but cheap as..

For me..

Beers.. Spring Tide on tap

But mostly i drink Triple T's, Tanqeray Ten and Tonic with lemon

Speights is good (bloody expensive nowadays though, $24/doz in supermarkets).

You must live in the wrong town buddy. Its $12.99 a doz at Countdown here in Timaru.

My brews well <<< tells you something yup like me Speights, have the occasional Lion Red to remind me of the time I spent in Auckland. Other than that its Jim or Jack. Beam and V is a fav.

New Zealand Beer = Emerson's Organic Pilsner or Epic (the original - although I have not ried the recent variants they were onlt released since I lived here)

US Beer = Pliny the Elder

When I was living in New Zealand my mainstream everyday beer was Mac's Hoprocker.

My mainstream everyday beer here is either Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Ranger IPA

When I was a student I pretty much stuck to Lion Red or Waikato. Then when I started working graduated to Heineken and Stella, and then graduated up the next level of the beer chain to my current preferences.

The one thing that annoyed me not long before leaving New Zealand was the fad that the NZ breweries had to bring out a new standard beer, package it up to look fancy, advertise it heavily and then sell it at a crazy premium. There is no way that a very average beer like Steinlager Pure and the like should sell for any more than standard Steinlager.

What I also find interesting is that I can buy Steinlager here cheaper than you can in NZ. I do buy it from time to time, as I do quite like it as a change. Last time I bought it I got it for US$4.99 a six pack.

Here is my Facebook US Beer appreciation photo album (this link should let anyone view the album):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5687...mp;l=cecb2f69d8

Edited by Grant

Rough.. Ranfurly Draught..

Haha it was a joke mate.

I enjoy Estrella Damm (spanish beer) or Cerbeza con limon (beer with lemon)

I'm OTP? Export Dry.

I feel like something nice? Amstel, Heineken, or similar shi*t

Popped colar trying to look like a rich prick? I'll buy Hoegaarden or Baltika

Tui and Runfurly - both prestigious brews

Haha it was a joke mate.

I enjoy Estrella Damm (spanish beer) or Cerbeza con limon (beer with lemon)

Ranfurly, Tui, NZ Lager, Double Brown, etc are all fine as long as they are served ice cold. I'm yet to try Bush Mans beer.