Sign in to follow this  
simke

1 series - opinions

I'm thinking about swapping my E46 for maybe something like this:

Visit My Website

I still need to take one for a test drive, although my guess is that it probably won't not be as much fun to drive as my current car.

Its come to a point where I have to decide whether I go for something newer, or keep throwing money on E46. Other important thing is how much could I get for my car, since I've spent nearly $10k on maintenance and new parts during the last 2.5 years that I've had it.

I'd like to hear your experiences with 1 series.

Cheers

135 coupe would be ideal, but they do cost a bit more $$ :)

I have a silver 120i SE with 69km's for sale if you would be interested, at a price much lower than that....

Don’t do it unless it’s a high spec model, lesser models are a waste of money IMHO, you’d be better off with a Golf GTI for that coin.

Don’t do it unless it’s a high spec model, lesser models are a waste of money IMHO, you’d be better off with a Golf GTI for that coin.

Coincidentally I also have a gunmetal grey mk5 gti DSG with black leather for sale as well, both cars are otherwise going to be traded, they have offered $16 for the 1 and $17 for the Gti as trades.... :(:(:(

f**k jump at that MK5! NZ new?

Ok so just been to JCBMW and they've given me the car to test drive overnight. So its a

118i (2l engine I suppose?)

17" wheels

Full leather interior, sports seats (not electric tho)

6 speed tiptronic

84k on the clock

overall very good condition

24 month warranty and servicing

So far I have liked the handling, the car doesn't feel small, and engine is actually good for what it is, however it does miss the punch of the 2.8 unit in my e46.

They gave me an estimate of around 15~16k for my car, will give me a more accurate figure tomorrow (I've left it there overnight). I guess this is reasonable given it is a 10 year old car with 145k on the clock, however I think it is worth more than that (biased obviously:)), since it has been extremely well looked after by me in the last 3 years, with close to $10k spent on maintenance and parts replacement.

Reasons for

- newer car

- less k's on the clock

- more economical

- interior is actually quite good with sports leather seats

- it does go quite nicely

Reasons against

- In terms of power doesn't come close to my E46, and this is a BIG minus (obviously can't expect much from a 2l engine)

- doesn't feel as stiff as e46, but I do like the feel e46 has

- based on their current valuation estimate of my car I don't think its a good deal $$ wise.

So all in all I will give it another good test drive tonight, but I think I will give this one a miss (unless they do me a deal something like my car + $5k cash, I'd be happy with that :)).

It doesn't sound like a horrible offer for your E46 in my opinion. Is it automatic?

I thought the same thing

The 328ci is a good car, funny you are comparing the two as my dear old mother did the same just last year when looking at trading her 328ci on a new one series, although she was looking at a 123d orr 135i, we noted the E46 even after all these years was a far superior car, even to the new 325i at the time.

I would drive a Golf if you can, it will tick all your boxes and leave the 328ci behind performace wise.

Yep they are both auto.

I guess it just comes down to me not really being happy with going from 2.8 to 2l engine. So I guess I'll keep looking, might have a look at some GTIs:)

What's the mileage on the golf?

Oooo 60ish? it is a 2005 import, all colour coded dark metallic grey (charcoal?) with black leather sport seats heated and drivers elec

It would have to be a manual 135i if it was me :P

Best BMW i've driven i think! So much fun.

My wife has a 118i motorsport and I'd have to say that it has been super reliable, economical and handles like very few other cars in it's bracket.

Quite a few golf fans out there, the poor 1 series didn't get the attention it actually deserves. Like the e60 5 series, it was a bit ahead of it's time and only now are people actually getting their butts behind the wheel and realising they are great instead of trashing them from afar.

The golf is bloody good, but the chassis of the 1 series is better. It gives great feedback and holds a tight line in corners. The 118 is a detuned 2l engine which if you rev the tits off it will perform quite well, but it isn't a stunner. Superchips have a small 10kw upgrade for it.

+1 for the 1 series. It's a great car, very underrated in my opinion.

I recently drove a 118i over the Rimutakas and was pretty impressed. They go well for a base spec car, and hold true the motto that every BMW is worthy of being called "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Fingers crossed the rumours that the new ones will be FWD are rubbish!

Drove a 118d motorsport in Germany. Awesome car. Handles very well. Really enjoyed the high-speed cruising and bucketloads of torque.

Never driven the GTI to compare tho :)

iv driven the gti a 118 a 120 and a 135 and id have to say unless your ready to spend more coin and get a 135 the gti is the only way to go.

but god damn if youv the money a 135 will blow you away

We sold our GTI for a 120i SE, mainly because of the build quality, plus the car is only ever used as a weekend shopper. I was impressed with the ride, but will miss the turbo rush...mind you maybe a supercharger might make it more interesting.

I'd go Golf, but I like my BMW's.

Im guessing this is out of your budget but it was owned by a friend of mine and a old member on here and goes vet nicely, he had outfitted it with BMW Performance intake, Exhaust and quick shifter and polished it every other weekend, stunning car.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-315391011.htm

^

That is a nice car, but costs more than what I was planning to spend. I've decided to keep my E46 for the time being, but will be on the look out for a 130 / 135 in the future once the prices drop further. 2l engine just doesn't do it for me :)