Sign in to follow this  
Heino

hard choice.

i have a hard decision to make.

i have been offered a 1992 gsr turbo with a evo 3 kit on it which looks like this http://www.pro-parts.ie/images/cars/big_evo1.jpg or my dad said he will try and get me a 1999 bmw 328i mean black paintjob so i can swap my rims over ....

please give your opinions :D

That's not a hard decision.

BMW - 1, Mitsi - 0

i have a hard decision to make.

i have been offered a 1992 gsr turbo with a evo 3 kit on it which looks like this http://www.pro-parts.ie/images/cars/big_evo1.jpg or my dad said he will try and get me a 1999 bmw 328i mean black paintjob so i can swap my rims over ....

please give your opinions :D

Questions like this are a very stupid thing to ask on a forum dedicated to one make of car. $20 says if you asked on a Mitsubishi forum you would get the polar opposite answer

That's not a hard decision.

BMW - 1, Mitsi - 0

mitsi is 1.8 turbo manual, and has a mean bov, external wastegate and just got a 5g paintjob by robert at knobs customs, the same guy who paints fanga dangs drift car and other drift corp cars... :S lol

Guest Simon*

No disrespect Heino but you're what 17? and you want a Cop-magnet Evo Turbo with noisy addons like BOV etc?

Get yourself a sleeper 328 and stay the hell out of trouble ;)

^ What Simon said - I'm not sure you **need** a "mean bov, external wastegate" in your life, even if you think you do.

No disrespect Heino but you're what 17? and you want a Cop-magnet Evo Turbo with noisy addons like BOV etc?

Get yourself a sleeper 328 and stay the hell out of trouble ;)

+1

been there done that....wish I had that advice when I was that age.

I spent too much to the Policeman's retirement fund.

Plus, from a rational point of view -

The resale will be higher on the 328

It's less likely to be a cop target as Simon said

It's less likely to be stolen (insurance will be cheaper)

But this is a BMW forum........

Id go the 328 in this situation, gsr sounds like it could be expensive trouble in the maintenance department too, and its always hard to get reliability out of a car that someone else has modified. Keeping in mind that im only 18 and sold my e30 v8 and bought a version 8 wrx sti, i bought it standard and have done my own tasteful mods and it gets less cop attention than my e30 did, however i think thats due to it being quite new and not "boy racered up" just a nice set of wheels and sporty sounding and not typical loud subaru exhaust. However saying that NZEFI are in the next month or so tune it to around the 280KW atw mark so still fast.

Edited by Sammy J

Gsr's are boring after 4500rpm

Old turbo probably thrashed as f**k GSR? or a 328i that's most likely less f**ked. Is it certified for that external wastegate?

Edited by antil33t

My pet hate is "gizzers" with an external wastegate with the spring set to 6 pounds or so. They sound like absolute sh*t, and go nowhere. For maximum effect, get a sick fron' moun', wif twenny poun', and gate til all the honies fall into the back seat of your car.

I've done the whole boyracer car thing, at a young age, and while it is fun you have to ask yourself whether you're going to drive like a knob in it and get fines. You don't want fines, they're not fun.

mitsi is 1.8 turbo manual, and has a mean bov, external wastegate and just got a 5g paintjob by robert at knobs customs, the same guy who paints fanga dangs drift car and other drift corp cars... :S lol

Sounds like you have already made your mind up and you are just wanting people to say buy it.

Edited by M-Spec

Hard choice? It has a MEAN BOV and MEAN WASTEGATE and MEAN 5G PAINTJOB, buy it!

so you want a shiny noise machine? that's probably not that quick?

I agree with Simon...wrong forum.

I think honda has their own forum somewhere...

GSR would be quicker than the 328i, seeing as it has a mean bov and external wastegate.

Edited by M20B20ONP

Guest Simon*

Yep and if it don't get stolen or impounded I can picture it neatly 4-wheel drifting into a pole on its first wet outing with all the kids in it yelling "don't be a pussy, open her up man!"

If he was my kid he'd be in his 316 until he'd done a bunch of driver training AND could afford to get off my insurance and onto his own ;)

like you did at the track on cold tyres in the dry?

End of the day if the BMW was slammed on mags, with tints and an exhaust it would no doubt get the same attention as the gsr because of the owners age.

If you want a quick car get the gsr, just be aware the ride will not be as comfortable as the BMW.

If you want to own a 4wd turbo car, go for it.

If you want own a cruiser get the BMW.

I'd highly recommend getting a crappy car and putting it under your own name for insurance, this gets you a history and no claims bonuses so when your a little older and you get more powerful cars it's cheaper and you have an insurance history which makes it easier.

Edited by DRTDVL

Don't waste your time with a GSR.. and when people go on about 5k paint job's etc it doesnt matter a sh*t, doesnt up the price 5k instantly..maybe 1k if its good, or ohh its 1g worth of bucket seats... good on it..theyre second hand now so scrap that figure

alarm bells start ringing at "mean wastegate"/external probably has a screamer and is venting to atmo...so your gonna have to plumb it back or find a relaxed wof officer 'cause end of the day they're not gonna cert a exhaust leak in your engine bay..which leads to other questions since you have to give it a good squirt to get it venting, whats the clutch like..no doubt had afew hard launches on it, list goes on and on...

I'm 19... I have mates who went down this path/still doing it GTS-t's, A31's, GSR's, STi's, EVO's GT4's, GTi-R's..they all fell in trouble with the law, drive around with no insurance because they simply cant afford it and constantly have sh*t going wrong cause some dipshit has done rangimods to anything with a turbro on it nowadays...

Honestly getting a GSR is like settling for seconds unless your mechanically minded and wanna f**k around with them, Evo 3 Turbo, injectors, AFM and chipped single board ecu or whatever they do to them all to get them hooning a bit...afew thousand more that you'd spend on the above items, plus labour and time, mantainence and you could have the real deal which are way better..then it'd justidy owning it I suppose...still got heaps of hassles if its been neglected, insurance, petrol

Better of with anything BMW/Euro/nana spec jap that doesnt attract cops or theives as much IMO

If u have money to burn and burn on go for it..otherwise i'd wait a while longer and stick with ya bimmer

Guest Simon*

like you did at the track on cold tyres in the dry?

Exactly like that Heath! :lol:

GSR probably has 5k worth of rust repairs in the roof under that paint.

BMW, never mind the bitzashitty.

or a 4g61t cyborg motor..still a 1.6 then aswell dont have to change the badge