Sign in to follow this  
Heino

hard choice.

Honestly getting a GSR is like settling for seconds unless your mechanically minded and wanna f**k around with them, Evo 3 Turbo, injectors, AFM and chipped single board ecu or whatever they do to them all to get them hooning a bit...afew thousand more that you'd spend on the above items, plus labour and time, mantainence and you could have the real deal which are way better..then it'd justidy owning it I suppose...still got heaps of hassles if its been neglected, insurance, petrol

Better of with anything BMW/Euro/nana spec jap that doesnt attract cops or theives as much IMO

If u have money to burn and burn on go for it..otherwise i'd wait a while longer and stick with ya bimmer

Well said!! My Pajero has a GSR engine and even though it's done less than 100k on the clock i'm always needing to get things done.

Stick with a 328 and have the class value as well as the guts!

keep the 316i lol. Its cheaper to fill up and easier to maintain compared to the mitsi and 328i. All guys go through the stage of "damn, i want a dope fast ride", but do the maths, unless you've got a decent income or parents supporting your motor costs, its too damn expensive.

I dont know how much you've been offered for the GSR or its maintenance history, but think about the future costs or how long you'll be keeping it. Same goes with a 328i.

You may be able to afford the car, but not the insurance, petrol and service fees.

My 2c. You might be rich and earning an awesome amount for a 17 yr old, i dunno :P.

Old turbo probably thrashed as f**k GSR? or a 328i that's most likely less f**ked. Is it certified for that external wastegate?

does not need a cert and most likely getting cash my way and ill sell it off. coz its wrth mre then my 316i. ahahaha and gsr's arnt slow...

Yep and if it don't get stolen or impounded I can picture it neatly 4-wheel drifting into a pole on its first wet outing with all the kids in it yelling "don't be a pussy, open her up man!"

If he was my kid he'd be in his 316 until he'd done a bunch of driver training AND could afford to get off my insurance and onto his own ;)

alreay on my own insurance so..... :S

GSR probably has 5k worth of rust repairs in the roof under that paint.

BMW, never mind the bitzashitty.

have seen photos of the job, it was sanded straight back and redone. so no rust.

Why not just put a 4G63T in your 316i with mean bov and wastegate?

are you guna fund it hahaha im only on like 13 a hour soon to be 14 50 :D hahahah!

or a 4g61t cyborg motor..still a 1.6 then aswell dont have to change the badge

its debadged haha

keep the 316i lol. Its cheaper to fill up and easier to maintain compared to the mitsi and 328i. All guys go through the stage of "damn, i want a dope fast ride", but do the maths, unless you've got a decent income or parents supporting your motor costs, its too damn expensive.

I dont know how much you've been offered for the GSR or its maintenance history, but think about the future costs or how long you'll be keeping it. Same goes with a 328i.

You may be able to afford the car, but not the insurance, petrol and service fees.

My 2c. You might be rich and earning an awesome amount for a 17 yr old, i dunno :P.

im 18 and the cost on my bema has been a f**k load so far.. and the 328 is not a deffenite coz my dad hasnt even looked at it or anything and plus think i might get 500 my way and the giza was used as a weekend car and is owned by a mechanic.. and will deff not be *slow* mitsi parts would be cheaper then a 316i hu glenn thinks the headgasket is guna go. and putting that sorta muny into it is just a waste.

photos of giza

post-5706-1285127545.jpg

post-5706-1285127557.jpg

post-5706-1285127569.jpg

yeah it sounds like youve already made your mind up, all i can say is the beemer would be better. and im not bias to mitsis, if you get the 328 it will hold some value, the mitsi will do nothing but depreciate until you cannot give it away. the mitsi will also drink gas like your just pooring it on the floor. so with your 13 an hour you will be spending so much on running it that you wont be able to afford to do anything else.. trust me, been down that path. also you say your going to flick on the gizzr. then what will you drive? you will be back to square one.

ohh and i havnt come accross a car like a gsr with mods etc that hasnt been thrashed like a hooker.

but at end of day up to you.

GSR = Work. The factory 4g93 series one such as that one will throw rods if thrashed, eat bottom end bearings if thrased, panel gaps don't line up if thrashed [Launching twists their body]

Check to see if the roof skin has been replaced, they ALL rust through the spot welds, mega expensive and hard job to do. They eat clutches etc etc.

You get bored of them very quickly, my older brother purchased an immaculate 96 CM5A GSR in Taupo a few years back, he was bored within two weeks and I got to drive his E36 325i around. We both agreed the E36 was a nicer car to drive, better on gas and far more fun and more reliable, put 70,000km on the E36 with only one problem, fuel pump. Gsr is a ticking prick, ProMar mlb8 does help, for a while....but ideally you need aftermarket lifters with the larger oil feeds.

Another thing to look for in terms of body kits, if it's fiberglass check the bonnet, it may crack, or seperate.

GSR's are not "quick" as per se, nor are 328i, throw them both down the quarter and they are fairly even.

From a non-biased point of view, haveing driven many examples of both, the 328i is a nicer car and easier to live with.

Drive both, weigh up the pro's and cons and do what you want, just make sure you are informed of all the problems with both cars.

Chur, do a skid [not too easy in a GSR]

I'll put in my 2 cents.

You're young, so chances are (you mayyyy be different) you'll drive like a knob and either

a) crash it or

B) get fines

That is, if it lasts long enough to get you fines. It's obviously been treated hard.

It's a cop magnet, gauges, front mount, zorst, sternal and sh*t bey.

Do yourself a favour and get a car you can afford to maintain, feed and insure.

I could offer some advice... but after reading all of this I think I would be wasting my time. To me, Heino has made his decision.. just wants us to all back him up.. I thinks its the wrong decision to go for the Mitzi & the 328. Maintanence on both is way outside your income... the 316 being an example (no offence intended or implied)

You'll get a better class of woman in a 328.

(provided you dont slam it and put it on chrome).

Either way good luck mate and i hope what ever you choose treats you well.

Edited by $toffz

+1 for the 328.

GSR's are for clowns who think "they're a cool cat with their pants on the ground" :P Skank whistles and rice gauges do nothing but make everyone who sees you "boosting" think, that dude has a small weiner!

Think about it, your 18, you wanna get laid. Which is gonna pull more?, a BMW or a thrashed Mitzy ;)

You'll get a better class of woman in a 328.

(provided you dont slam it and put it on chrome).

+1... a screaming woman in the back seat is far better than a screaming BOV.. followed buy funny blue & red LED lights :P

depends if it's the female officer you get in the backseat or not...

Think about it, your 18, you wanna get laid. Which is gonna pull more?, a BMW or a thrashed Mitzy ;)

Both, aslong as you have a mean bov and wastegate.

depends if it's the female officer you get in the backseat or not...

You been pulled over by her too Heath ?? lota fun eh ??

TBH the GSR will probally get more hoes. even if it does look like a piece of sh*t.

Both, aslong as you have a mean bov and wastegate.

2 years here , 3,565 posts & you still talk shyte

buckies errrrie day.

TBH the GSR will probally get more hoes. even if it does look like a piece of sh*t.

exactly... the ones that have been around the block several times and could probably recite the thread count of the back seat of every mitsi, evo, suby, skidline etc etc within a 40km radius.

exactly... the ones that have been around the block several times and could probably recite the thread count of the back seat of every mitsi, evo, suby, skidline etc etc within a 40km radius.

Haha yep.

Im sure there's a few around that could do the same for BMW's aswell :P

I guess not having a mean bov and wastegate doesn't get you laid much? Edited by M20B20ONP