Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

pretty much.. but worse is riding the clutch too much. its just heats up and scores/melts bits into the flywheel and pressure plate clamp areas. Saw one the other day where someone had done this and wrecked it.

what about flooring it when in gear already and shifting smoothly? will that be bad during bedding in period?

I was told to put the clutch through as many heat cycles as possible, and just drive it smoothly. Its hard to do that sometimes.....

So what's the trick? We don't when we fit clutches but that's all oem stuff.

I don't believe there are any tricks, other than just drive it like normal tbh. Any high spots on the lining are going to be knocked down by the time you back the car out of the garage.

Excessive slipping is going to be hard on a clutch whether it is run in or not...

what about flooring it when in gear already and shifting smoothly? will that be bad during bedding in period?

I was told to put the clutch through as many heat cycles as possible, and just drive it smoothly. Its hard to do that sometimes.....

Yep, I've heard all that as well.. That's why I questioned brake and clutch when I had mine done. They said no break in period was necessary, and said nothing about heat cycles.

This was on my turbo engine and they said it would be fine to stick straight on the dyno if I wanted, I didn't run it in or anything and romped on it from day 1 (obviously no clutch dumpys...) and have never had any issues. Organic lining and upgraded pressure plate fwiw.

However if your clutch setup came with instructions specifying a break in period, I would follow it for warranty purposes.

Edited by polley

Just read the leaflet it came with, "Never abuse the new clutch, allow break in period of 750miles"

Well that's about two years of driving to cover thst distsnce!

Commuting is the best clutch run in in my opinion with lots of low load gear changes.. ( I normally get 200,000 + km out of Oem clutches including the odd bit of towing and track days)

Usual stuff, rev match gear changes on up or down shifts. Don't ride it excessively

Depending on clutch type , some already are partially run in ( like ap racing) so don't need to be treated so gently initailly. They talk about .5mm of wear being the norm for run in of the linings.

Just make sure the install was clean and keep grease or brake clean well away otherwise they are stuffed perfomance wise before you've started. Usual bearing check beforehand etc.

Have all new bearings to replace and yes it will stay clean. Have a fair idea of what i'm doing.

Bought it a shiny new w58 gearbox to replace my w55 that I blew to pieces while being silly last weekend :mellow:

Stripped the w55 during the week and found more carnage than I can be bothered repairing, it's never a good sign when you drain the oil and the remains of second gear come out with it. Carnage pics to come. The 58 should be a good upgrade, not significantly stronger but taller gearing and closer ratios will suit the v8 well. Out of town again this week but a good stint next Saturday should have the car back in action. Might also score myself a new clutch this week as well. The ten million pound pressure plate isn't ideal for round town driving and I'd prefer a bit of clutch slip over an exploding gearbox any day of the week

Greg if you just drive it normally and take it easy for at least the first 500ks then you'll be fine. When driving hard just make sure you change carefully. The smoother / quicker the better. Also avoid using you clutch as a brake in the down changes. If you do, then just heal toe. But if your not good at heal toe then dont practice on a new clutch :)

On OEM clutches, the material and clamp force are quite different to your setup greg. It is still good practice to bed in any new clutch however.

Greg if you just drive it normally and take it easy for at least the first 500ks then you'll be fine. When driving hard just make sure you change carefully. The smoother / quicker the better. Also avoid using you clutch as a brake in the down changes. If you do, then just heal toe. But if your not good at heal toe then dont practice on a new clutch :)

On OEM clutches, the material and clamp force are quite different to your setup greg. It is still good practice to bed in any new clutch however.

Ah ok sweet. Looks like i may need drive it for a few weeks. Last wof it had only done 198km in six months ha.

Fitted a replacement A650e 5 speed gearbox in 48 hours.

Annoyingly the box is not locking in second gear..... Its now clear there's something not setup correct in the TCU that controls the shift solenoid selection, a friend in Australia with a similar setup is also having the same issues with second, both of our gearboxes were sourced from working cars so they aren't broken or burnt out as first thought.

I have sourced a different shift solenoid selection to try so will give that a go tonight after work.

Alot of trouble to go through for an autobox. I know you don't want it manual but that would unleash it nicely.

Haha I think this everyday Greg.

I like to experiment thoiugh, making progress with the automatic today however, got 2nd gear working!

The setup owes me $250 for the box, $1450 for the controller and $850 for the quickshift valve body, so it owes me half of a manual conversion.

To do the manual conversion, everytime I've worked it out its $5000-6000. So its easier said than done!

It will be on the cards if I have no luck with this automatic route long term, it will just be a mater of saving.

Edit: I also made a better stationary rev clip for those that didn't like my pussy rev style of the previous one! Youtube Video

Edited by Michael.

Replaced E34 Cabin Filter....

Fan Speed 2 is like full fan before replacement.....

Went to get the dropped drivers door checked out - needs a hinge bushing etc. changed.

And I'm not sure how and why but the person told me I can fail my WOF because of the dropped door if I don't get it fixed? Wtf? :blink:

Went to get the dropped drivers door checked out - needs a hinge bushing etc. changed.

And I'm not sure how and why but the person told me I can fail my WOF because of the dropped door if I don't get it fixed? Wtf? :blink:

The worn area is much weaker and can lead to a door coming off in an accident. In Theory.

It's a common failure point on old cars. I just got new ins and a reamer for my VW, as it had a small amount of play.

The worn area is much weaker and can lead to a door coming off in an accident. In Theory.

It's a common failure point on old cars. I just got new ins and a reamer for my VW, as it had a small amount of play.

Ah okay I see, thanks tho :)

brought a nice little runnabout

just need to get a key so i can get into her now

hope it runs

post-279-1359086493.jpg

post-279-1359086559.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Drug dealer car? Haha

Not on chromies or low enough to be a full time drug dealer.

Drug dealer car? Haha

you wanna buy some.

maybe a boot full ???? who knows

dead locks are on so no one has been in there

Little bit more on the 3 this afternoon. Plan to have the box back in midweek......Mark!

While I was working the mrs was using her new DSLR her awsome boyfriend got her for xmas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Me asking her to hand me a spanner "i'll just take a photo instead".

Edited by Greg.

Little bit more on the 3 this afternoon. Plan to have the box back in midweek......Mark!

While I was working the mrs was using her new DSLR her awsome boyfriend got her for xmas.

Posted Image

love the heinie and washer one!

First time i have given the car a decent wash for ages,even gave the wheels a bloody good clean,and had a fill up wth 25 c of a litre!

love the heinie and washer one!

Yeah she's pretty clued up with it already.