Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

11 hours ago, huff3r said:

I struggled to bring myself to do it to my nice stanley socket, but then I remembered work got me a JBS kit so I still have nice sockets and can do what I like with the stanley ones!

I know what you're talking about, I was in a similar position.  I went to Sears and bought a Craftsman socket, the workshop I went to (in a rough part of Mexico City) we like "you sure you want to do this to this nice socket?  We're going to leave grinding marks, it's not going to look pretty...".  Yep, thanks.  Explained what I was up to.  

When I collected the socket, they said 'go see our neighbour, he's just around the corner, he car swap out your shocks without even taking the wheel off.  Tell him we sent you, he'll look after you".  They were bang on the money, he had a big f*ck-off lever tool, and showed me how he did it, I came back with the parts, and he had it done in no-time flat.

New front struts, spring pads, bump stops, shock mounts and a few other bits on the touring yesterday. Damn, what a difference!!! Also replaced the front discs and pads on the 520 this morning.

• Like 2

Got the engine, gearbox and exhaust out of the parts car today.

In a few weeks I will have stripped the rest of the car and taken it to the scrap metal.

• Like 1

Had her first wash in a year or two. Covered and garaged once again :)

IMG_4564_2.jpg

Edited by deviant
  • Like 5

Nice car Matt.

Does she not get driven much?

Na, she did after my engine swap a couple of years ago. Until a few WOFs in. They discovered a bit of rust. We are only on one income after my son was born so $0 to throw at my pride and joy right now :(

wow you still got that car, its been in the fold for a bloody long time! i have it on a 2010 bimmersport calendar in the other room

• Like 2

21 hours ago, deviant said:

Na, she did after my engine swap a couple of years ago. Until a few WOFs in. They discovered a bit of rust. We are only on one income after my son was born so $0 to throw at my pride and joy right now :(

your offspring grow up fast - it's good you're there for them when it counts.  our no. 1 son just entered his teens, I can't beleive how quickly that's happened.

good to observe you've not given up on your 5er, and know it will be there when you have some spare $$.   Looks superb!

• Like 1

Having the cert now ,cost so far $ 690 

Its a bugger when you're sure you'll fail 

Old cert invalid  

• Like 1

Having recently purchased a set of OEM 19 rears for my M3 (thanks Brent BMWorld), I put on my square OEM 19" wheel set.

Hard to come by these wheels, but it was well worth the wait. Fills out the front guards like they should have from factory.

IMG_6636 small.jpg

15 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

wow you still got that car, its been in the fold for a bloody long time! i have it on a 2010 bimmersport calendar in the other room

Done a few skids in that car when it was living in Hamilton.

Passed...............................:o :huh: :P :D  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

Having the cert now ,cost so far $ 690 

Its a bugger when you're sure you'll fail 

Old cert invalid  

What items needed to be certed?

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8:15 PM, aja540i said:
13 minutes ago, zero said:

What items needed to be certed?

I throught I was only certing my new seats and new rear adjustable control arms, but no eveything gets rechecked, suspension, brakes, wheels and spacers.

And the laws have changed re spacers when I first certed the spacers if under 15mm they didn't need to be attached. Now they do, so I wasn't sure what else had changed.

I'll be updating my project page soon it will make interesting reading for anyone contemplating upgrading and certing their vehicle.

• Like 2

had my local trusted independent Page European replace the rear springs with 325i Touring springs, and replace the top and bottom spring pads.  And an alignment.  

Only a couple of short drives today, but it feels a lot better.

Happy days.

• Like 2

Begun the task of swapping the engine out of the 328ti tonight. Spent 2 hours working on the car with a mate and managed to get quite a bit done. So far we have:

removed front end and radiator

replaced front shocks with bilsteins 

removed DME and unplugged loom ready for engine removal.

so since this is all done tomorrow the main task of removing the engine and swapping the box onto the new one and reinstalling begins. Fingers crossed it can be done within a day! Updates and pictures will follow after the weekend within my project thread :)

image.jpeg

Gave the e39 a wash and clay bar, then drove home from work in the rain :(

Zinc electroplated some parts for the E21, and because I am a modern sensitive man I didnt even do it in the kitchen sink! 

2016-09-24 14.47.51.jpg

Conor (batmanswilly) and I spent less than $200 between us at zebra today and walked away with;

# full e46 black leather interior including door cards and electric seats - mint condition.

# e46 electric fan

# e46 'purple tag' steering rack.

# e36 aftermarket front gas struts (ultimo brand) in brand new condition.

We got totally smashed by the weather but it was well worth it for the awesome deal we got.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, aja540i said:

Gave the e39 a wash and clay bar, then drove home from work in the rain :(

Welcome to my world. Frustrating, innit?

I replaced the nsf tierod on the 500SE. Was going to do both, but rain stopped play.

Edited by gjm

Pulled the radiator, expansion tank and hoses out of the 328 today. After work. I love daylight savings!

Water pump, thermostat and aluminium housing all turned up as well although I'm stuck until I can get the damn fan off, doesn't want to budge. Soaked it in CRC, will have another go tomorrow.

was told to clean the garage up the other week since its filling up with wheels and work related crap since becoming self employed. But got side tracked part way through and made a thing.

image.jpeg

Also was a dyno day yesterday so thought I'd run the m3 up. Showed up a few turbo japs :Dimage.jpeg

also here's the wheel collect thus far- that arnt on cars image.jpeg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, euroriffic said:

was told to clean the garage up the other week since its filling up with wheels and work related crap since becoming self employed. But got side tracked part way through and made a thing.

image.jpeg

Also was a dyno day yesterday so thought I'd run the m3 up. Showed up a few turbo japs :Dimage.jpeg

also here's the wheel collect thus far- that arnt on cars image.jpeg

sell me your style 5's for my e28 M535i ;)

• Like 1