Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Went to replace rear left fog light bulb on m3. Slight problem....see photo.

Also added analogue lighting adaptor to 3D printed iPhone ashtray dock. 

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

I'm out of my pit, off to do i6 Automotive DISA service, and an oil and filter.  

Hey Elijah, you going to frame that clutch and put it on the wall, or are our suspicions that you'll have motive power to those rear wheels coming true?!  :)   It'll be GREAT to see your e28s on the road, keep at it!

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

I'm out of my pit, off to do i6 Automotive DISA service, and an oil and filter.  

Hey Elijah, you going to frame that clutch and put it on the wall, or are our suspicions that you'll have motive power to those rear wheels coming true?!  :)   It'll be GREAT to see your e28s on the road, keep at it!

Hopefully I'll have something driving... I'll refrain from putting a time frame on it because we know how good I am at sticking to them. But between you and me I'm secretly hoping New Years. But I'll reserve judgement till I'm taking it for a wof.

As it sits it's currently got the gearbox and flywheel off as well as the engine de-loomed.

• Like 1

DISA done.  Took me a little longer than expected, I dropped one of the torx bolts on removal, and the other on install.... necessitated a visit under the car to remove and refit the plastic under-tray.  Also took a while to while to pick out the old o-ring seal where the valve assembly meets the intake manifold. 

The i6 Automotive kit seemed pretty good, I figured the spring washer was for the new bolt at the bell-crank end.  

A 15 min road test had me thinking its going a little better.  My 35km commute to work on Monday should have me better informed.  

Think I'll do some injector cleaner before I change the oil.  Time to pop in and see the lads at Page European and pick up some of that Wurth stuff they use.  Engine flush.  

cheers

Edited by Olaf
engine flush

went to park at the shops in papakura with my son after work today , went to wind the windows up in the X5

crunch bang went the rear window regulator , so back to work ,

remove one from a parts car door and refit to my car then back to the shops ;) 

also took the 330Ti for its 1st proper drive .

Edited by BM WORLD
  • Like 2

Finished welding up the (previously rusty) sills on the white E30, and removed the rusty door, gutted it, transferred internals, and installed the new blue door. Only carpet to go really and she should be WoF ready.

Except... now it won't start! Fuel pump primes, and after sitting long enough hints that it wants to start but won't run. I'm guessing spark, but will go hunting properly another day. To be honest it's probably due a new coil, leads, dizzy cap, rotor and plugs.

Scored for the E30.

New tenants in the unit on the front of where we are renting have temporarily moved down from their farm which sold to a developer, who then decided he wanted them out sooner rather than the agreed time. Talking to them while doing some work and the lad says "there's one of them up on the farm" while pointing at the white E30. "Rusty as hell but if you want anything off it you can help yourself."

Got to be worth a look, right?

Yup - it's a mess. No glass, no rego, one door, no engine or 'box (apparently it was a manual) but... It does - did! - have 51mm struts. And springs which I don't recognise but which are most definitely not Jamex superlows. And vented discs...

Rear shocks were Monroes and looked to be leaking so they stayed where they were. Apparently the poor car had been used as a farm hack for several years.

WP_20161217_010.jpg

WP_20161217_005.jpg

• Like 1

Picked up a X5 4.6is as a new tow wagon. With the Alpina powerplant it seemed like a good idea retrofit a E46 M3 SMG steering wheel. the  Easy mod. gives a cool dynamic to the driving experience.

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4423.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

• Like 3

I washed it.  Spent as much time on the wheels as I did on the rest of the car.  Still loving that AutoGlym wheel brush, Barry!

Changed the oil in Miss M's E36.

Found that the Ryco filter bought from Repco(?) is too tall to fit in the filter canister... :angry:

17 minutes ago, gjm said:

Changed the oil in Miss M's E36.

Found that the Ryco filter bought from Repco(?) is too tall to fit in the filter canister... :angry:

Did they give you the right one? There are two listing's for an m43, one is tall and skinny, one short and fat.

I haven't had any issues with repco branded filters before, bit never splashed out for a real ryco (discount I get is much better on repco homebrands!)

Edited by huff3r

2 hours ago, huff3r said:

Did they give you the right one? There are two listing's for an m43, one is tall and skinny, one short and fat.

I haven't had any issues with repco branded filters before, bit never splashed out for a real ryco (discount I get is much better on repco homebrands!)

This one appeared to be the correct 'fat' but was about 1/4" too tall. There was absolutely no way the lid of the canister would have sealed. :(

Of course, the only time you find this out is after getting oily fingers over it, after putting it into the canister which has a little old oil in the bottom, and after putting the lid on. The 'return in original packaging for a refund' instruction really does count for much at that stage.

23 minutes ago, gjm said:

This one appeared to be the correct 'fat' but was about 1/4" too tall. There was absolutely no way the lid of the canister would have sealed. :(

Of course, the only time you find this out is after getting oily fingers over it, after putting it into the canister which has a little old oil in the bottom, and after putting the lid on. The 'return in original packaging for a refund' instruction really does count for much at that stage.

Doesn't matter, they told you it would fit and it doesn't. Not fit for purpose as per fair trading act? ;)

2 minutes ago, huff3r said:

Doesn't matter, they told you it would fit and it doesn't. Not fit for purpose as per fair trading act? ;)

I'll be giving it a go!

If I remove the upper and lower rubber spacers, it'll almost fit into the canister, but obviously not seal properly.

Just now, gjm said:

I'll be giving it a go!

If I remove the upper and lower rubber spacers, it'll almost fit into the canister, but obviously not seal properly.

Maybe get them to grab out a repco equivalent to compare too, as that's what I always buy and it fits mine. It'll be interesting to see if the ryco is different, or they are both the same.

2 different types depending on build year etc

ali top canister uses the metal top oil filter fatter shorter

plastic top canister uses the thinner plastic top oil filters

dumbs a$$es at ripco chould know better and to ask vin number or ask which type of top it has

• Like 1

It's a bit odd. The taller, slimmer filter is so obviously wrong (when you see it). The one I have looks OK until you try to fit it.

I'll get it sorted. Pretty sure I went by the p/n their catalogue suggested.

new rear window regulator last week, thanks to SD Euro. Next on the list, wash it for xmas. If painting the house doesn't take priority this week / weekend.

Unstuck stuck injectors, only to lose two clips trying to re-install them, and damage some o-rings. Decision time. Pay whatever exorbitant amount SCA etc wants for them Or wait 15-25 days for shipping from ali-express...

Standard size o-rings? I've had a wee bit of success with dewtech (I think it was) having a few viton seals. Not sure I'd trust aliexpress on that sort of component, nitrile and viton look pretty similar, as do slightly out of tolerance parts. Just bought some 02 bungs and weld fittings from there, 1 out of 5 actually screws in snugly (but will still need a coper washer since the seal face is on the piss).

14 hours ago, huff3r said:

Unstuck stuck injectors, only to lose two clips trying to re-install them, and damage some o-rings. Decision time. Pay whatever exorbitant amount SCA etc wants for them Or wait 15-25 days for shipping from ali-express...

try these guys if you know the dimensions etc:

http://advancedseals.co.nz/

http://www.sealhouse.co.nz/orings-xidc99677.html

Christmas came a day early for the little red rocket! Managed to finally get the the new gearbox in with new penrite fluid, along with a short shifter! No more popping out of 3rd or 1st! Great success!

Also managed to pick up an e30 medium case 3.64 diff yesterday, put that in at the same time while I had use of the hoist. Popped the original output flanges off the small case Ti diff and put them onto the e30 diff along with swapping the speedo sensor over, quite an easy swap, the hardest thing was getting it all lined up again!

Pics and update to the project log will happen soon! Also boxing day will involve me buying some paint to respray my front bumper, will also swap on my msport rear kit, and 3 spoke msport steering wheel.

Take away lesson from today.... I NEED a hoist in my life, it makes everything easier! With Dad and myself we were able to swap the gearbox and diff in 6 hours and that was including stopping for lunch and heading into the shops to get some new gearbox and diff fluid, so not too bad!

• Like 1

^^ gotta be happy with that outcome, Chris!

everyone needs a hoist in their life. ;)