Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Fitted the style 350s to the E92, this time I had 255s on the back rather than 225s and the look very good. The Re003s have at least as much rear end grip as the 17 inch 255 s001s that were on there. Replaced the seat belt handover arms so now I don't have to reach all the way back to get the belt. The konis finally arrived in country so next up is suspension with M3 control/thrust arms up front and maybe some Eibach springs.

Gave the E46 a thorough interior clean. It came up really well and I am so loathe to sell it now. Wife got a new job and may take the e46 as her company car but I might take the Ohlins road and track suspension out and sell it as she won't appreciate or use it.

Edited by Herbmiester

A new set of mats directly from Munich....yeehah...

Ended up climbing into the engine bay of the 525e, and yes there is enough space in there with the m20

• Like 1

I Finally got around to converting the 330i from an auto to 6 speed manual today..  - and it feels great! 

if anyone wants some help on the E46 conversion, happy to help.

and FYI I used a M3 (S54) clutch and flywheel instead of the stupidly expensive 330 one with the built-in pilot bearing. I made an adaptor to use the 6speed type needle bearing to fit in the crank where the "normal" ball roller would go.. although this meant machining up an adaptor it was well worth it.. The cutch plate for the 6speed was also used - they are the same diameter and thickness as an M3 one so, fit in there just nicely, just the splines are different than an M3..

swapped the diff to the original spec 2.93 ratio 

removed the viscous fan and swapped out the aux fan etc to be as original manual config..

-----------------

this goes with the recent mods - changed out the std headlights for Bi-Xenons (huge improvement ) and upgraded to the Hi-Fi spec audio ( huge improvement too!)

added TV function back, with a Tuner mod that allows digital Freeview reception and keeps the stock video module.

IMG_2998.JPG

Edited by Dogballs
  • Like 7

E30 got some love yesterday.

New 8mm High performance leads

Bosch distributor cap + Rotor

Bosch Injectors

VDO fuel pump

Rocker cover Gasket and plugs

Wanted to do the TPS but have the wrong part :-( turns out the Auto one is different to the Manual. Has anyone spliced the auto to a manual? Picture of the auto one attached. The manual TPS is 3 pin (same as the ICV).

CHeers,

A.

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

Got the vert out last night for the first time since the megameet, great night for a drive. Now to get the top working...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Got the vert out last night for the first time since the megameet, great night for a drive. Now to get the top working...

Do you have an EM or EH top? Just got my EM top working a few weeks ago... now I'm actually using my car with top down!

36 minutes ago, jonoe30 said:

Do you have an EM or EH top? Just got my EM top working a few weeks ago... now I'm actually using my car with top down!

I've got an electric one. One motor has died and the roof needs alot of adjusting to get it to collapse properly. I'm tempted to pay someone to do it properly for me

14 hours ago, Dogballs said:

I Finally got around to converting the 330i from an auto to 6 speed manual today..  - and it feels great! 

I don't think many people who've only driven auto versions really appreciate the difference the manual box makes.

Our E39 is only a 525i, but factory manual. I'd pick it again, over an auto 530i just for the directness and dynamics. It probably still doesn't make it faster than the auto 530i, but it sure feels "right" with a DIY trans, whether nana-ing around, or working it hard.

Well done!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

I've got an electric one. One motor has died and the roof needs alot of adjusting to get it to collapse properly. I'm tempted to pay someone to do it properly for me

Yeah I hear you there... I spent many hours reshimming and aligning the roof to get it to work properly (I also fitted new tension straps when I replaced the roof canvas which makes a big difference to folding). Thankfully I didn't have to replace the top motor so didn't have to re-sequence the timing with the microswitches which might be a headache in your case. I undertook it myself as I didn't think even a BMW mechanic would have had much practice adjusting them as they are so old and rare.

The whole setup of the EM top seems to be a bit poorly engineered for BMW; I expect it will probably give me grief again in future so let me know if you do find an expert!

No more blue door! Grey primer instead, but it's a start! 2 weeks to the day til I can get my injector seals (cheaper to pick them up on my next visit to wellington than pay $6 freight for $5 of seals). After that I should have it on the road.

Meanwhile the racecar got a 19mm irrigation elbow between the heater hoses, and filled with coolant, started and no leaks! Very hot inside with both front window regs stuffed, and no blower motor though. Especially with the huge hole in the firewall yet to be filled!

And the compact.... well it needs a profile gasket. So I'll keep topping up the water until I have at least one more car road legal and can afford to pull it off the road and repair it. Or keep an eye out for a very cheap m43b16.

• Like 1

Took the wagon up on a 1000km round trip to bay of islands and cape reinga. Friend took a few snaps thought id share them here :)

mmexport1483072258670.jpg

mmexport1483072262299.jpg

mmexport1483072406903.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, qube said:

Took the wagon up on a 1000km round trip to bay of islands and cape reinga. Friend took a few snaps thought id share them here :)

mmexport1483072258670.jpg

mmexport1483072262299.jpg

mmexport1483072406903.jpg

Unparalleled

• Like 2

looking good, Kyu.  I guess if you'd mailed this pack, it'd be a parallelogram.  #; )

• Like 1

9 hours ago, qube said:

Tried on some new wheels today :)

20170104_164656.jpg

20170104_164629.jpg

But how can we make jokes about parallels now?

20 hours ago, qube said:

Were you at Cape Reinga on the 28th? Pretty sure I saw your car parked there...

Man the drive up that road was fun. I had to take it easy on the way back though, used up too much petrol :D

IMG_20161228_152836.jpg

IMG_20161228_153210.jpg

• Like 1

Haha yep. I was with the big bunch of my asian friends taking a million photos by the lighthouse. 

It was indeed a fun drive. I got 12L/100km on my trip.

You? 

20161228_160348.jpg

Edited by qube
  • Like 1

Also have a vague memory of driving past it while it was parked on the roadside with someone taking photos, lol. Could have been someone else.
Car shows 11.6l/100km but not sure how accurate that is, only time I made any effort to be economical was when heading back from Cape Reinga with low fuel.

The stretch to Cape Reinga could have easily been 20l/100km...
Anyone in the North Island who loves driving, needs to drive that road. It's a dream.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

I've just completed an almost 4000km road trip and managed about 11L/100km in the X5, pretty happy with that. 

Edited by NZ BMW

Polished front and rear chrome bumpers. This waiting for parts business sucks.

Oh ordered paint too, so grey door will become blue door.

Drove the E39, and realised how awkward the clutch has become... DAMN.

Still, order a complete repaitr kit INCLUDING DMF. for NZ$808, shipped. Will get stung for GST. but still good!!!

towed a boat with the X5  ;)

2017-01-12_10_54_13.jpg

2017-01-12_10_54_57.jpg

2017-01-12 09.42.50.jpg

2017-01-12 10.19.00.jpg

• Like 9