Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Spent some more time on the white E30. Getting pretty frustrated at the no-start situation, especially being 80% of the way to a solution.

Basically everything works sweet except... injectors don't seem to be getting signal to fire. Possibly not getting voltage at all, but I don't know what to expect as everything on the interwebs is motronic specific so not sure what I'm looking for with L-jet :(

5 hours ago, Lucan said:

Power steering or manual?

Power. 

Waved goodbye to the white E30 rolling shell.

• Like 2

I..... errrrr...... bloody kerbed a wheel.  arghhhhh!  Oh well, in to get repaired next week I reckon.   Wet conditions, not used to pulling in to three empty parallel parks, in a rush... bam.  Never in my life have I done that before - steels or alloys.  

And an RF lamp warning indicator came up.  So I checked it out, got the RF side light working again... and the warning came back.  Found my high beam plug disconnected, reconnected it, and all going sweet.  Net cost:  Nil.  Nada.  Zilch.  

Still recovering from grinding my lovely rim against the kerb.  Wow.

• Like 6

Replaced the window wiper linkage which decided to break on the motorway in very heavy rain :rolleyes:

What a chore!! Hope to never do it again. Used the linkage from an E30 at pickapart, only something like 180kms on it and $19 :~) Oh and discovered some more rust behind the firewall while I was there. Fantastic.
2 steps forward one step back. At least I no longer have to poke my head out the window when it rains, which is annoyingly common this summer

On 8/02/2017 at 9:28 PM, Kepes said:

At least I no longer have to poke my head out the window when it rains, which is annoyingly common this summer

Speak for yourself! We had 50mm here last night... which more than doubled the amount we've had in the last 3 months!

The roads were so slippery, I had "sustained loss of traction", in my 72 Beetle :lol: - they're like a 911 or E30 - once the back is loose, DO NOT button off, or it's all over!

• Like 2

More cleaning! Also took some beauty shots with the new rims, so in love with the look of the car now!weg-9.jpg20170210-IMG_0915.jpgweg-9-2.jpg

• Like 2

love the last shot. rear rim fitment is perfect. front is a bit aggressive but if it doesnt rub then hey why not!!

replaced battery, IACV, and alternator belt idler pulley in the e36, runs like new again! Now i just have to swap in the purple tag steering rack....

• Like 3

320d has a new battery. Forgot to mention that. I think.

Today...

WP_20170211_001.jpg

And all to fit the shiny bit in the lower right of the picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjm said:

320d has a new battery. Forgot to mention that. I think.

Today...

WP_20170211_001.jpg

And all to fit the shiny bit in the lower right of the picture.

OOOOH, New turbo at last eh?  like for like, or more modern?   What's your mileage now, Graham?

14 minutes ago, Olaf said:

OOOOH, New turbo at last eh?  like for like, or more modern?   What's your mileage now, Graham?

It's a brand-new Garret GT1749V from Turbo Dynamics in the UK - an like-for-like. Retail on these is well over NZ$1400 plus shipping, insurance and taxes... Fortunately I got this one from Richard in wellington when his plans changed.

It's a PITA job. The 320d has one of the most difficult to remove airfilters I've ever come across, and that's just the tip of a rather large iceberg.

Mileage hasn't risen much recently. The 320d has been resting while we've used Miss M's 318i to ferry her around and get her some driving experience. She's off to Uni next week and the 318i may well be up for sale - she needs the money!

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Stripped valve covers on the M62 while it's having timing chain guides replaced. Ready for priming and painting tomorrow for the rebuild next week

• Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 7:44 PM, Breaker said:

Stripped valve covers on the M62 while it's having timing chain guides replaced. Ready for priming and painting tomorrow for the rebuild next week

I hope you document the progress on here :D

• Like 2

On 2/11/2017 at 7:44 PM, Breaker said:

As above, a DIY of the timing chain guides would be good if you're doing yourself?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucan said:

As above, a DIY of the timing chain guides would be good if you're doing yourself?

DIY on the full job was to much time I'm afraid, just tidying up the covers before reassembly. Looking forward to getting it sorted this week!

21 hours ago, zero said:

I hope you document the progress on here :D

Bit of paint stripping with a wire disk on the drill, coat of primer and a few coats of aluminium colour to match the body colour.

IMG_0001.JPG

• Like 4

The new clutch for the M5 arrived from Europe today, now awaiting the flywheel from the US... Planning the work and a bunch of other stuff like fuel filter, hoses, drive belts, door seal... Also fixed the noisy air con air sensor motor in the dash, just needed a clean.   The poor FM reception has me stuffed despite all the info on the net, may need to start taking the boxes in the boot apart....

I got up early today and:

• got a four wheel alignment at Bridgestone Torrens Tce.  much better! 
  • changed oil and filter on the e46 at 175936kms (Mann filter, new crush washer and o-rings, 6.5l of Penrite HPR5 5W40 synthetic)
  • washed exterior (Caltex no-touch carwash), rain-x'd the windscreen
  • vacuumed and cleaned the interior

I can't access my street frontage due to road works, so resorted to the no-touch car wash to get some of the filth off of my car.

... and I scored another 20 litre drum of Penrite HPR5.  $165 incl GST this weekend (Repco 20% sale) that's $8.25 per litre!

32647353020_9f11b47a8e_b.jpg

Edited by Olaf
added image
  • Like 1

On 15 February 2017 at 8:55 AM, SmallFordRacing84 said:

Had a play with Bead roller, not perfect but it will do. 

20170214_212421.jpgscreen capture

my cert guy has asked me to do something similar (though more substantial i suspect) on the piece of aluminium that will be replacing my spare wheel well. perhaps you could help?

So took the wee Ti on the Dyno today! Pulled out an impressive 128kw at the rear wheels!!!! Not too bad! Will be sure to update my Project Log tomorrow with more pics and a full write up!DynoRun-1.jpg

• Like 3

Finally got my E30 going!!!! Thanks heaps to Jon at Auto38 for the ECU, turns out I had most definitely fried mine. Put the new one in and it started immediately.

Next step: WoF!

• Like 4