Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

4 hours ago, aja540i said:

then it rained.

That's happened a lot lately. I've spent far too much time working, and when I'm not... It's raining.

e60:  Weds and Thurs:  new shocks and associated hardware installed.  Yesterday I installed 2 new jacking pads (front left, front right).   Today new tyres (RE003's) all round, and an alignment.

Now I just need to figure out how to install new wiper blades (Valeo VM351)... after I get rid of the Rain-X interior anti-fog that I put on the outside of the Windscreen (D'oh!)... and that'll tell if I really need to replace the blades.  Oh, I'd better Rain-X the windscreen with the correct product.

Next few days, I'll install new angel-eye bulbs.  Looked into LEDs, just went with standard Hella items.  They arrived with my order for Transmission service (new pan/filter, bolts, fill plug, mechatronic sleeve seal).

Have had the parts for a while so finally replaced my grills with gloss black ones, side indicators with smoked black ones and an all black roundel on the hood and steering wheel. Dirty car, wet and dark so photos crap, but when I do boot roundel (ordered wrong size!!! new one coming) and black 545i badge I will take some better ones. Not 100% sure if it's what I want, will see in the light of day and time, but nothing that can't be undone.

20170411_191347.jpg

20170411_191440.jpg

20170411_191451.jpg

^^ liking that grille!

31 minutes ago, Olaf said:

^^ liking that grille!

My grill/grille? cheers it's alright aye. Glad I went gloss not matte and standard design over the double fins looking ones.

Over the weekend lifted up M5, removed left front wheel, underbody trays, broken left under spoiler shield and left front wheel liner.  Next 4 hours cleaning... Then oil and filter change and put it all back together with new under spoiler shield.

Next the windscreen trim and cowl replacement and then right side front wheel arch etc... (maybe get to this before smales farm outing...)

Feels good knowing one has dealt to years of built up crud under there...

I Got rid of the anti-fog on the outside of my windscreen.  Yesterday I cleaned, polished, and then rain-x'd it, ahead of this week's rain.  I think it's time for new blades.

• Like 1

new bilsteins in the front of the e36, sits about 30mm higher now because the old (possibly original) shocks were absolutely knackered, they were pulling the car down by at least 20mm !! Handles better, much less body roll, and only slightly harder ride.

• Like 2

Long weekend work done. Headliner, all pillars, rear parcel shelf all removed for re-lining. Headliner saggy as sh*t.
Since most of the lights are out, might as well do interior LEDs as well.

Looking forward to a fresh new interior linings.

Just needs starter motor replaced, tomorrow's job for removal. Steering rack is noisy on adjusting so that'll get looked at while it's off the road for a week or so. Then we are pretty sweet, touch wood trim :)

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

• Like 3

productive long weekend, pulled my custom headers off the e36 and re-routed the pipe for cylinder 2 so it doesnt tap the steering shaft in left hand corners anymore, fitted the purple tag rack and new power steering hose and tie rods, fitted the leather rear side interior trims that have been lying around for a year or so, went to pick a part and got a complete wiring harness to move the battery to the boot, as well as some trims that need replacing, and re-attached the front number plate that fell off !!

• Like 3

Fixed the door mechanism and central locking on the E36.
It now locks and unlocks on the remote. Never did that before.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gjm said:

Fixed the door mechanism and central locking on the E36.
It now locks and unlocks on the remote. Never did that before.

Fancy! ;)

• Like 2

Took my new to me X5 back to the dealer to investigate source of the engine light. Scan says catalytic converters. Was amused by the confused look on the mechanics face and then the rapid googling haha. They didn't look too happy. Its going back next week for further investigation...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treone said:

Took my new to me X5 back to the dealer to investigate source of the engine light. Scan says catalytic converters. Was amused by the confused look on the mechanics face and then the rapid googling haha. They didn't look too happy. Its going back next week for further investigation...

Dude - did you get the blue X5???? Sweet!

Sorry to hear you've got an issue ... there's always something right? :wacko:

Went in for cert the other day! Failed on driveshaft hoops and tire size being illegal.... the rules here are a little odd on a 17x8.5" rim.... 195/40 and 215/40 are legal but 205/40 isnt.... So I have gone from 205/40 to 195/40 and gotten a hell of a lot more stretch and also somehow become more legal.... also booked in to get driveshaft hoops this saturday! 

Pic of how its sitting since I gave it a wash :P 

dway-1.jpg

54 minutes ago, RedRocketTi said:

Went in for cert the other day! Failed on driveshaft hoops and tire size being illegal.... the rules here are a little odd on a 17x8.5" rim.... 195/40 and 215/40 are legal but 205/40 isnt.... So I have gone from 205/40 to 195/40 and gotten a hell of a lot more stretch and also somehow become more legal.... also booked in to get driveshaft hoops this saturday! 

Pic of how its sitting since I gave it a wash :P 

interesting, deifies logic, but looking at the LVV chart they use you are absolutely correct. lucky my wheels are 8.0 and i checked that sheet before investing.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2009_V3_Tyre_Size_to_Wheel_Size_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

your car is looking great mate ! hopefully have a bit of a battle at some stage.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

interesting, deifies logic, but looking at the LVV chart they use you are absolutely correct. lucky my wheels are 8.0 and i checked that sheet before investing.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2009_V3_Tyre_Size_to_Wheel_Size_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

your car is looking great mate ! hopefully have a bit of a battle at some stage.

Yeah it was definitly a rookie mistake on my behalf!  Will be getting my other Ti back at the end of may and this one will be garage queen :P Then by having a daily again I can take this back to Ruapuna! Complete new drivetrain and suspension since the last time it was there too!  Would be cool to see how it went against your Ti @_ethrty-Andy_!  I still need to learn how to drive it quickly tho!

Replaced the stock solid discs (and associated calipers) on the E36 with some from a 328i. Bolt on upgrade - vented discs and bigger calipers.

Usual assortment of tools required - 16mm for the caliper bolts, 14mm for the flexible hose, 7mm(!) for the bleed nipple...
Anyone noticed how 16mm is a spanner size not normally included in a set?

Whoever changed the pads last time (not me!) belonged to the 'lean on it' school of bolt tightening. The caliper bolts should be tight, sure, but these took some real work to get them undone.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Dude - did you get the blue X5???? Sweet!

Sorry to hear you've got an issue ... there's always something right? :wacko:

Yip, combined with the condition (at the time anyway!) and price I just had to take the plunge! Despite the issues - 'check brake linings' is the latest - I'm really enjoying it :rolleyes:

Yes - there's always an issue, but that's what MBI is for haha!

19 minutes ago, treone said:

Yip, combined with the condition (at the time anyway!) and price I just had to take the plunge! Despite the issues - 'check brake linings' is the latest - I'm really enjoying it :rolleyes:

Yes - there's always an issue, but that's what MBI is for haha!

Awesome :) Look forward to seeing it on Saturday Greg. I am jealous of the colour! 

18 hours ago, gjm said:

Usual assortment of tools required - 16mm for the caliper bolts, 14mm for the flexible hose, 7mm(!) for the bleed nipple...
Anyone noticed how 16mm is a spanner size not normally included in a set?

And for some reason, it seems like  every tool kit you look at buying over here includes half of it's sockets and spanners in Imperial sizing. It makes no sense. All the older British cars have rusted away, and US stuff is rare... so where exactly is the market demand for this gear that just sits there gathering dust?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a few imperial sockets in the tool box Colin try  a 5/8 on your 16mm and 3/4 on your 19mm most Japanese cars all you needed were a 8,10, 12,14, 17, 19, 21 and away you went.But with your euros and holdens possibly others brands the nut and bolts used are all over the place real pain in the arse. So having a few imperial size sockets in your tool kit can be a help and they sometimes fit neater than their metre ones. Plus they might be just getting ride of surplus stock.

46 minutes ago, allan said:

Nothing wrong with a few imperial sockets in the tool box Colin try  a 5/8 on your 16mm and 3/4 on your 19mm most Japanese cars all you needed were a 8,10, 12,14, 17, 19, 21 and away you went.But with your euros and holdens possibly others brands the nut and bolts used are all over the place real pain in the arse. So having a few imperial size sockets in your tool kit can be a help and they sometimes fit neater than their metre ones. Plus they might be just getting ride of surplus stock.

The 16mm bolts used for holding calipers on? A 5/8" ring spanner typically fits better than a 16mm one. :)

Replaced both tail light seals and both rear anti-roll bar end links. One of each failed, but both are cheap... I am a bit OCD.

Edited by Gabe79

I know there is some cross-over, but all the otherwise useless ones make me feel a bit 3pedals: it ought to bugger off and die, and stay in the past where it belongs

Imperial units are worth 5/8ths of not much :lol:

• Like 2