Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

On 4/20/2017 at 4:01 PM, gjm said:

Anyone noticed how 16mm is a spanner size not normally included in a set?

Whoever changed the pads last time (not me!) belonged to the 'lean on it' school of bolt tightening. The caliper bolts should be tight, sure, but these took some real work to get them undone.

yep, esp if you've been working on a Volvo!  

Caliper Bolts should have had Loctite** on them too.  (**Odd, Safari wanting to change that to 'lactate'.)  Breaker bar do the trick?  Or rattle gun?

2 minutes ago, Olaf said:

yep, esp if you've been working on a Volvo!  

Caliper Bolts should have had Loctite** on them too.  (**Odd, Safari wanting to change that to 'lactate'.)  Breaker bar do the trick?  Or rattle gun?

5/8" slogging spanner and a lump hammer. Sounds harsh, but it is effective.

on Friday, I took the e60 along with #1 son to BM World, and scored some 'bits' (door seals, rear seat double-lighter, and door switch trim).  We had an excellent chin-wag with Brent too.

Then we went for a tour through the country to Clevedon, following a mate in his CLK55.  It's a good part of the world out there; if I was organising a roadie in Auckland I'd consider the Clevedon Hotel as a lunch stop on a good weather day.    

• Like 2

Fitted new window regulator sliders in the driver's door of the E36, and adjusted the regulator so the window closes properly. It's amazing the difference the new bits of plastic make!

Removed the front seats to hoover the carpets in the E36.

Found $1.50. Result.

It's nice getting into a car with clean-looking carpets. :)

• Like 2

Added child seat tethers and child restraint seat belts in the rear. 

Good god, removing the rear parcel shelf is a pain in the ass. I have a sunshade in the rear that makes it even more of a pain in the ass!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Added child seat tethers and child restraint seat belts in the rear. 

Good god, removing the rear parcel shelf is a pain in the ass. I have a sunshade in the rear that makes it even more of a pain in the ass!

seat tethers?  I remember doing that.  That sunshade will come in very handy for you!

2 minutes ago, Olaf said:

seat tethers?  I remember doing that.  That sunshade will come in very handy for you!

Kids are so much effort eh. :)

14 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Kids are so much effort eh. :)

great rewards to be reaped.  #1 son had me in stitches today.

5 minutes ago, Olaf said:

great rewards to be reaped.  #1 son had me in stitches today.

No question there. The world would be a poorer place without our two. :)

I love how the "special bolts" (the lady at Baby Factory's words, not mine...) are too short to make it through the E39 parcel shelf.

And I love how they have a legal standard based around their use, but they are imperial, not metric, parts...

23 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I love how the "special bolts" (the lady at Baby Factory's words, not mine...) are too short to make it through the E39 parcel shelf.

And I love how they have a legal standard based around their use, but they are imperial, not metric, parts...

I bought the BMW parts. They fit perfectly. :)

The bottom left diagram here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DT62-EUR-09-2001-E39-BMW-530i&diagId=72_0214

57 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

I bought the BMW parts. They fit perfectly. :)

The bottom left diagram here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DT62-EUR-09-2001-E39-BMW-530i&diagId=72_0214

well done.  you get a well done medal, with extra smugness bar!  I wasn't "encumbered" with a BMW when we were using tethers, it was all about getting them to work in Nissans (easy for the later ones - the kit from baby factory just worked - quite a rigmarole for the 1989 model).  I'd have been stoked if I'd been able to look up a parts catalogue online and order from a dealer - regardless of location - who said "why yes sir, we have just what you need".

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

well done.  you get a well done medal, with extra smugness bar!  I wasn't "encumbered" with a BMW when we were using tethers, it was all about getting them to work in Nissans (easy for the later ones - the kit from baby factory just worked - quite a rigmarole for the 1989 model).  I'd have been stoked if I'd been able to look up a parts catalogue online and order from a dealer - regardless of location - who said "why yes sir, we have just what you need".

I sort of assumed every major manufacturer would have a realoem equivalent. Is that not the case?

I didn't mean to seem smug. ;) I had seen the kids in baby city, for example, but I'd still need the bracket that goes under the parcel shelf, and I found a nice set of 3 on ebay and got that... All 3 sets, bracket, tether, bolts, washers, everything, for ~$60USD.

Driveshaft hoops installed, cleaned it today, drove 200km tonight with 90km on gravel.... so proceeded to just use a high presssure washer to blast the dust off it tonight, will do a project write up this week and include pics of the driveshaft hoops etc :)

Installed aftermarket E30 ebay headlights - im not saying there gonna stay but we will see how they perform. Im pleasantly surprised by the quality. 

Tomorrow I will install accessory lights, did you know E30's come with factory loom for them already installed! Hoping supercheap will have the relay as thats the only thing im missing.

After removing the brake sheilds from the E39, because the council are too reatarded to sweep the stones off the new seal.....

When to stay at the beach for a week - at Pacific Bay/Kowhawera Bay Tutukaka... turns out they just sealed the road out there too!

E39 now has 3 new windscreen chips, numerous paint chips, stone stuck on the rims, underbody trays, wheelarches and suspension... GRRRR!

Plus, in typical E39 fashion, had to nip down to the hardware shop for some "Knead-it"... to seal up the expansion tank, so we could come home! I only looked at it a few weeks ago, thining I should order one!

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I didn't mean to seem smug. ;) I had seen the kids in baby city, for example, but I'd still need the bracket that goes under the parcel shelf, and I found a nice set of 3 on ebay and got that... All 3 sets, bracket, tether, bolts, washers, everything, for ~$60USD.

I missed the smiley from my post - smug in a good way - well deserved  :)

Dropped the headliner, A B &C pillars and rear parcel shelf off at the auto upholstery today. Received the new starter motor to put in as well.

knocking things off nicely 

Ugh. Spent forever futzing with the airbox to remove it en route to the oil filter housing to replace that gasket. Just as I realize I am short one T50 socket for the pulley, my son's kindy calls and I have to dash off to pick him up. This immediately after I remove the upper radiator hose and spill coolant everywhere. Sick kid and car is sitting there all mucked up. Ugh. I might try and finish removing the alternator and housing tonight, clean and refit tomorrow. Wish me luck either way. :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Wish me luck either way. :)

Luck! Don't despair, once you have done this a couple of times it all begins to make sense and becomes less of a drama.

And it's an E39, so it WILL be giving you plenty of practice... :P

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Luck! Don't despair, once you have done this a couple of times it all begins to make sense and becomes less of a drama.

And it's an E39, so it WILL be giving you plenty of practice... :P

Thank you for the words of encouragement (I think! :D)

Working at night was actually quite ok. My bottleneck ended up being that the baby monitor ran out of battery! I'll make sure to plug it in tonight and have at it. 10pm-2am is prime free time for me. ;)

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 2

Stopped a leak from the screenwash bottle on the E36. A smear of blue Hylomar around the bung that the pump pipe passes through seems to have done the trick. Probably need a new/replacement pump though - the driver's side doesn't so much squirt on to the screen as produce a well-meaning dribble.

Then gave the car a wash. Cordobarot is a really nice colour when you get the dirt off it!

Did some skids in old yella at an autocross last weekend. Fun times!!

IMG_4189.JPG.248906408e778ec5c6c9641e1ea00d2f.JPGIMG_4192.thumb.JPG.f5900af141d3a9dd472b538a32566bd0.JPGIMG_4198.thumb.JPG.ef9c11dc91c5fa4c74d5bff6312144a3.JPG

Also went to the oamaru airport drags a month ago and managed to put down a 13.97 with the clutch slipping between gears. Not bad for an unprepped track on street tyres. Was faster than most turbo jappas which was good to know! IMG_4195.thumb.JPG.2df6e960c271536645c3b5908eb45e39.JPG

• Like 5

Remove Power steering reservoir, and both hoses on the way to the oil filter housing gasket, which I hope to actually get to someday... Today I found out I need a 19mm spanner, as the damn shallow socket I have doesn't fit. 

When I finally replace the damn gasket, I'll work backwards replacing all parts removed with new ones... to dream...

So managed to install some custom rear spring locators I had made up at the inner diameter of the rear springs was too large for the stock rubber locating spikes, these were milled out of solid aluminium and work perfectly!  Now to just book in for cert recheck tomorrow!  Also found I was missing my front Diff bolts.... managed to replace them and add locktite, no idea how or why they were able to go walk abouts :P

18197479_1442908002439177_377882909_n.thumb.jpg.1cc35e4a6caed65025d4a30dcdaa3e64.jpg18253927_10154730837005787_1293993466_n.thumb.jpg.f892f87ca9e9f6738f092aa18d4d6bd4.jpg

• Like 1