Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Happens to a lot of people. Me, f'rinstance. Set out with every good intention of getting a job done, then something happens and enthusiasm just goes clean outta the window.

I was fortunate and had a couple of very nice chaps come down and help me through the last event of that nature.

• Like 2

So I finished my blackout de chrome thing. Looks ok I think.

50/50 on the grille, chrome vs gloss black, like the black but wonder if it makes it look tacky or cheap!

Love the smoked out side indicators, they blend in and don't stand out like the clear ones, although the old ones were yellow and sun damaged.

Black roundels look ok and quite like the black 545i.

Nothing that can't be changed if I grow to dislike and return to factory if sold etc.

Turtle wax tar and bug remover did a great job on bumper and mirrors and cleaned it with new foaming gun and microfibre mitts but splitting headache prevented me from even drying it let alone a polish of wax. Comes up alright with just a clean at the mo anyway.

Edit: need to grow some balls and motivation to do the DIY headlight restoration and stone chip restoration also. Any tips for wheel cleaning, polishing, care etc

Front.thumb.jpg.a6aa84f113c7375c3ad372a30ee443f4.jpg590ff8ed5d30f_FrontCorner.thumb.jpg.70699ec459ea57296624e934d77518b0.jpgBack.thumb.jpg.525ac5878642ffa7984664175f34f256.jpg590ff8de29ab6_BCorner.thumb.jpg.6c54098abf19c694ae059c48c3da1ebb.jpgSide.thumb.jpg.d0469f0f5874a52b203006e85484858b.jpg

Edited by My545
  • Like 1

I think the grills and the black 545i badge looks good. Not a huge fan of the black roundel but nothing wrong with it. I had some on my previous car which was a black e46. 

Headlights definitely need your attention next!

Any plans on the wheels? Staying as is? Looks really big? 19s?

4 minutes ago, qube said:

I think the grills and the black 545i badge looks good. Not a huge fan of the black roundel but nothing wrong with it. I had some on my previous car which was a black e46. 

Headlights definitely need your attention next!

Any plans on the wheels? Staying as is? Looks really big? 19s?

Yea they're 20's, I flick between changing to 18's and keeping, often. Had thought if I can find some style 135's and powder coat them gunmetal grey I would. Will see, love the current look but not the ride.

Installed an aftermarket charge pipe and flashed the MHD stage 1 tune on the 135i, yet to take it for a spin. Can't wait

6 hours ago, My545 said:

So I finished my blackout de chrome thing. Looks ok I think.

50/50 on the grille, chrome vs gloss black, like the black but wonder if it makes it look tacky or cheap!

Love the smoked out side indicators, they blend in and don't stand out like the clear ones, although the old ones were yellow and sun damaged.

Black roundels look ok and quite like the black 545i.

Nothing that can't be changed if I grow to dislike and return to factory if sold etc.

Turtle wax tar and bug remover did a great job on bumper and mirrors and cleaned it with new foaming gun and microfibre mitts but splitting headache prevented me from even drying it let alone a polish of wax. Comes up alright with just a clean at the mo anyway.

Edit: need to grow some balls and motivation to do the DIY headlight restoration and stone chip restoration also. Any tips for wheel cleaning, polishing, care etc

Front.thumb.jpg.a6aa84f113c7375c3ad372a30ee443f4.jpg590ff8ed5d30f_FrontCorner.thumb.jpg.70699ec459ea57296624e934d77518b0.jpgBack.thumb.jpg.525ac5878642ffa7984664175f34f256.jpg590ff8de29ab6_BCorner.thumb.jpg.6c54098abf19c694ae059c48c3da1ebb.jpgSide.thumb.jpg.d0469f0f5874a52b203006e85484858b.jpg

like Kyu, I like the black grille and 545i badge.

I'm not so big on the roundel - hey, it's what you like that counts.

Polishing?  I think Electric Six sang "oh let me take you to the Clay Bar, Clay Bar, Clay Bar...." talk to @Barryn from this parish!

Edited by Olaf

5 minutes ago, Olaf said:

like Kyu, I like the black grille and 545i badge.

I'm not so big on the roundel - hey, it's what you like that counts.

Polishing?  I think Electric Six sang "oh let me take you to the Clay Bar, Clay Bar, Clay Bar...." talk to @Barryn from this parish!

Haha I don't know the group or song but do know your thoughts on clay barring, will definitely do it sometime. Does Barryn sell them? if so where? link? Cheers

3 minutes ago, My545 said:

Haha I don't know the group or song but do know your thoughts on clay barring, will definitely do it sometime. Does Barryn sell them? if so where? link? Cheers

here's the link you need to the clay bar, clay bar, clay bar...

Okay seriously, The Book of Barry, and if you wanna buy direct... but seriously, IM @Barryn he'll look after you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Olaf said:

here's the link you need to the clay bar, clay bar, clay bar...

Okay seriously, The Book of Barry, and if you wanna buy direct... but seriously, IM @Barryn he'll look after you.

LOL it's disturbing I had actually seen that before, but I had forgotten it until now!! Cheers for the links, will contact Barry.

clay barring your car will never be the same :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, I sell a Clay bar Kit & can show or explain how to use it if needed, great product

Got a WoF on the E36.

Feckin' rear lights were a PITA. Aluminium backing plates, connecting to aluminium tabs from aluminium sockets, relying on pressure from a bulb, does not make for a solid, corrosion-resistant connection!

Got to the WoF station and found I had a centre brake light, but no side brake lights and no rear fog light.

Turns out that it was just the rear offside brake light bulb that wasn't quite making a connection, and that because it wasn't working the other bulbs took a union vote - solidarity, brothers! - and all decided not to work. One out, all out.

Took bl**dy ages to find the culprit. :angry:

Need to make a tiny adjustment to the steering rack, and will need to look at the front wishbone brackets - 'lollipops' - before the next warrant.

• Like 1

Got some RE003s fitted on the rear. Pretty dissapointed with the job as they put two 10mm scratches in the edge of the rim with the pry bar (after making me wait 35mins before starting the job). Is it worth going back to them on the scratches do you think?

Flashed a stage 1 mhd map onto the 135i. Managed to get one good pull before the charge pipe blew off at the throttle body lol..obviously didn't get the retainer clip seated into the groove properly. But the exhaust burble feature is prett neat! Definitely quite a big difference in power too

10 hours ago, Barryn said:

Yes, I sell a Clay bar Kit & can show or explain how to use it if needed, great product

would also be interested to learn more about clay bar.

10 hours ago, Barryn said:

16 minutes ago, Rob HB1 said:

would also be interested to learn more about clay bar.

Barry is the man to go and see in Wellington.

Talk to Christian  - CSET - if you're in Auckland.

So I passed cert! Great success!!! Also scored a 316 badge to go on the rear end to keep people guessing :P

• Like 4

did something about the ugliness .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tawa said:

Got some RE003s fitted on the rear. Pretty dissapointed with the job as they put two 10mm scratches in the edge of the rim with the pry bar (after making me wait 35mins before starting the job). Is it worth going back to them on the scratches do you think?

I think you should, yes. Now, having said that you may have limited success whatever your rights.

I think a determining factor might be how clean the wheels were in the first place? If they were pristine then they shouldn't really argue but if they were already curbed a 1cm scratch might not justify a fix.

And you need to consider what you're going to ask for, it may be impractical to "make it right" cost effectively. You may be able to negotiate a discount on future product/services but then you might not want to go back there.

If it were me I'd go back and and let them know that I was "disappointed" that there some scratches and ask them if they have a policy regarding that - this way you start the conversation but aren't being confrontational (they may also point you to a plaque on the wall that says 'all care, no responsibility').

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

I think you should, yes. Now, having said that you may have limited success whatever your rights.

I think a determining factor might be how clean the wheels were in the first place? If they were pristine then they shouldn't really argue but if they were already curbed a 1cm scratch might not justify a fix.

And you need to consider what you're going to ask for, it may be impractical to "make it right" cost effectively. You may be able to negotiate a discount on future product/services but then you might not want to go back there.

If it were me I'd go back and and let them know that I was "disappointed" that there some scratches and ask them if they have a policy regarding that - this way you start the conversation but aren't being confrontational (they may also point you to a plaque on the wall that says 'all care, no responsibility').

Yeh that's a good plan, I did snap a few pics before taking them in, and the paintwork was pristine apart from a few stone chips on the spokes.

Spent a large amount of the weekend cleaning and putting on the winter coat of wax. Went with chrisfix's 'superclean' method, dishwashing liquid foam cannon to remove old wax and any accumulated oils etc, then clay bar, spot fix the clearcoat (I skipped this bit though), and apply the wax. I'm happy with how it turned out, having trouble getting rid of the headlight condensation on the RHS though.

P1060210.JPG

P1060221.JPG

• Like 5

Check to see if the drain vents don't have spider webs or the like blocking them. The headlights must have been on for a while and gotten warm but the air temperature must have been cool and as they cooled condensation has been created.and unable to escape. Try gently warming the headlight glass to remove it and hopefully with the drains open and air movement it will solve your problem.

Took advantage of the glorious weather and took the vert for one more Sunday drive.

Clicked over 80,000miles on the way back. Not bad for a 30 year old car.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, allan said:

Check to see if the drain vents don't have spider webs or the like blocking them. The headlights must have been on for a while and gotten warm but the air temperature must have been cool and as they cooled condensation has been created.and unable to escape. Try gently warming the headlight glass to remove it and hopefully with the drains open and air movement it will solve your problem.

Tried that a while back, next was taking the whole thing apart and leaving desiccant in it for a while, moisture still comes back...

Ok try removing the rubber vent pipes altogether to allow air to move freely so helping to remove the moisture laden air. Trying to find a way other than dismantling the headlight unit ( pain the arse) completely drying it out and finding you still have the problem return. Also do you have high wattage bulbs fitted?.