Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

1 hour ago, Allanw said:

Did you get a price from Milland?

I got one for our E39 (diamond key) a few years back... and it was about $320 from memory??? - It was all coded, ready to go, direct from Germany. All I had to do was sync the remote (1 minute job, no tools required)

Nope I didn't :| $320 sounds a lot better.

Winger require copy of driver's license (presumably to check vehicle ownership so you can't buy keys for other peoples' BMWs) and typically sight the vehicle/chassis number (but maybe would be OK with the chassis # being provided).

I have now emailed 3 other dealers (Akld/Manawatu/Coombes) to confirm price and what they need for comparison - to see if there is a price differential between dealers. Won't help me now - but might help others!

e39 keys can be had for a lot less than that. I can, and others on the forum can too, code them for you. You can end up with a diamond key for ~$80, most of which is the cost of getting the key cut.

• Like 1

Had 2 more prices come back - $441 and $443 so I'm paying slightly more in Welly - and standard process seems to be:

• ex Germany 10-14days
  • require you to come into dealership with id
  • must prepay for the key

So you kinda have to deal with your local ....

Bought an E36 318Ti earlier this week. Miss M has pretty much lost interest in driving stick, and it'll be good for her to get behind the wheel of something. She has enjoyed it so far, and has said that she'll probably look at a manual license later.

The seller is a forum member... Anything I list here as needing doing is not a slight towards him, but acknowledgement of buying a 20-year old car cheaply. :) 

More on that in a maintenance thread.

• Like 5

Peter you are being ripped off. For my 2002 e46 diamond shaped keys I purchased to blank keys ebay Uk $50.00, got them both cut $48.00. After talking to a member on here on other matters he kindly transferred the data from my ews on to the new keys and it cost me the freight charge only about $10.00. This would have been within the last 12 months memory serves me right

That is a good proposition Allan - while having a messier process and needing the right connections. :) I really wanted to make sure that there wasn't a major price disparity between dealers and if there's flexibility about choosing where you buy.

@promo do you code keys?

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
quoting previous post

I got a replacement key for my e39 from Schmiedmann for $140 euro + shipping (no VAT or GST).  All coded ready to go - just had to re-synch.with the alarm 

Edited by HardBall66
  • Like 1

What sort of proof of ownership did you have provide? By the sounds of it, I could order a key for your car and drive off with it

quoting previous post

They want you to bring the vehicle in, sight the chassis # and provide your license – guessing they do ownership lookup.

quote previous post

14 hours ago, allan said:

Peter you are being ripped off. For my 2002 e46 diamond shaped keys I purchased to blank keys ebay Uk $50.00, got them both cut $48.00. After talking to a member on here on other matters he kindly transferred the data from my ews on to the new keys and it cost me the freight charge only about $10.00. This would have been within the last 12 months memory serves me right

Allan got the key cut a bit cheaper than I've found. I pay close to $75 at armstrong for a 4-cut key (2-cut key is cheaper). Aftermarket keys with transponder from ebay cost ~$20NZD delivered. The coding tool costs ~$50NZD delivered from ebay. I, and others, have the tool and can code if you ship your ews module. Learning how to use the tool was the slowest part and I had my keys done in a week. I'd be happy to do keys for folks here and can show you what keys to buy and such.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

What sort of proof of ownership did you have provide? By the sounds of it, I could order a key for your car and drive off with it

I had to supply a scan of my NZTA change of ownership certificate.  I also pointed them to he Carjam website where they could plug in my name and DOB from my licence and see that the car with the correct VIN was registered to me. 

• Like 1

New spark plugs, new oil, oil and air filter, new PCV valve, 2 new back tyres,

and cleand the idling controle valve.

Running smooth again

Took it for a good drive, made the most of the weather today

_MG_7577_zpsdinja0gq.jpg

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

That is a good proposition Allan - while having a messier process and needing the right connections. :) I really wanted to make sure that there wasn't a major price disparity between dealers and if there's flexibility about choosing where you buy.

@promo do you code keys?

Hello, Yes I can code new keys to CAS+ Modules.

• Like 1

Test fitted the big wang on the Ti.... it needs a big diffuser next I think :P 

19339807_10154873853640787_129462531_o.thumb.jpg.c25821b717188e459979e1db22c8985d.jpg

Would that mean you'd be ditching the towbar? :ph34r:

quote,,

What'd I do to my BMW? Nuffin'.

Bought some wheels for the 500SE, though.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 6

Had a win today no more warning symbol yah;), have been showing a low washer bottle light for some time. Have checked the float, wiring etc so had it scanned.dealer came back faulty sensor had that replaced light still on durr whats wrong.Time goes by have ordered some instrument rings and was interested to see what fitting them involved Took the cluster out to have a look see what was involved and by chance what did I find in one of the connectors bent pins. So with a small blade screw gentle prided them apart,thinking don't break don't break. Then using thin nose pliers straightened them out as best I could finally using a similar connector slid it over the pins a few times just to make sure they were in alignment.and good to go.Put it all back together and warning light has gone how the pins came to get bent I have no idea

• Like 1

Spent the day setting it up for driver training tomorrow :ph34r: 

Bring on the sunshine  (please)               

New wheel cylinder in, no more leaky brake fluid! Hopefully the rear shoes aren't too far gone and grip enough still for less than 20% difference L/R!

Now to trace the reverse light fault...

(Reason for not doing a full rear brake service - car has a leak from the profile gasket so it's days are well and truly numbered anyway!)

• Like 1

I swapped out the front cup holder from my parts car today.  

Before...IMG_0663.JPG

After...

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

Also fixed my auto-dimming rear view mirror, which turned out to just be a missing fuse - I guess the previous owner must have nicked it for something else.  I don't do too well driving at night these days, and not having the auto-dimming was really impacting me.  I was planning to swap out the regular manual-dim mirror in the parts car but I don't have to now.

Before...

IMG_0669.JPG

After...

IMG_0673.JPG

As a nice bonus I found this handy little pull-out fuse diagram blind in the parts car that I have now transferred.  Job done!

IMG_0674.JPG

Edited by HardBall66
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 8:05 PM, huff3r said:

Would that mean you'd be ditching the towbar? :ph34r:

No plans of ditching it yet! Its super handy!

New pads were put in half way through todays trackday! 

1:51.126 isnt too bad around Ruapuna, first time out with the car actually fully working.  I just need a lot more seat time and maybe some adjustment to get rid of the oversteer.  Peeling wheels out of corners on warm semis too in 3rd wasnt ideal either! I want an LSD but they are bloody hard to find without getting a mortgage.

Amnesia-1.thumb.jpg.d0f30b9c6d415256e4ffe5314ac76a75.jpg

• Like 1

Built some ramps and changed oil and oil level sensor.