Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

40 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Built some ramps and changed oil and oil level sensor.

Bad landing???

ec88df8bf06b2614e8be6a723e6898bc--genera

Sorry :lol:

• Like 4

Completed driver training :rolleyes: one 360 on turn 4. No 2,4 or 6th gear  ( dont need 6th to be honest ) my mate wasn't so lucy his cars waiting on a transporter off on turn 1 into the armco. 

Hmm, I had a flat battery this morning... maybe just a coincidence, but perhaps there was a reason for the previous owner removing the fuse for the auto-dimming mirror - I'll have to keep an eye on this.

• Like 1

Hi Matt

Was the mirror from a Japanese import with the infrared remote entry if so their are two fuses to this unit. One for the auto dip and one for the remote entry fuses 24, 67 Also the auto dip part is wired into the reverse light, PDC if fitted circuit via a common connector x428 which is situated above the main fuse box a blue wire with a green trace BL/GE.Have had a further look and found in my notes the pin numbers on the mirror connector  the coloured wires and where they go if you want that info

Edited by allan
  • Like 2

Thanks Allan, yep - mine's a Japanese import with the infra-red remote - I re-inserted fuse 21 to get the auto-dimming mirror working.  Do you think there could be a short on that x428 connector?   I've charged the battery back up and will leave it overnight to see whether the battery holds its charge, and if not will remove the fuse & repeat the process... hoping the flat battery was just a coincidence, as the car has been sitting for a few days.

Are you sure it is fuse 21? looking on the fuse chart 21 is not used . Where fuse 24 is used to power  both the mirror and the PDC unit . Unsure all I know is the reverse circuit the PDC and the auto dip mirror all have a connection in x428. It could be possible I suppose to get a feed back say through a faulty reverse switch or PDC unit. Should be able to run a volt meter over the circuits to see if any voltage is present with the key turned off.

If you see the photo of the little pull-out blind fuse chart on the previous page it says, "Anti-glare inside mirror" - that's the one I re-inserted.  There seems to be some variation in the fuse layout here & there (between markets/model years?).  No PDC on my car, but I may have to check the reverse switch.  Anyway, hopefully she'll have held her charge today and I can write it off as a coincidence.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
Quote previous post

It seems to have held its charge overnight so I'll put it down to coincidence for now, but I'll keep an eye on it... I obviously need to drive it more!

Grabbed a spare laptop, installed Windows 10 on it and got PA Soft going on it. Proceeded to go scan codes and look around to find cylinder 2 misfire codes. Clear codes, hope for the best... drive car... Hi misfire codes! Will change spark plugs today, which I'd been meaning to do anyway, then if the misfire continues, will do proper diag on it. Wish me luck! :)

e60 545i:

• New pan/filter, bolts, mechatronic sleeve, fill plug; Fuchs synthetic Dex VI
  • Diff service (new drain and fill plugs, Fuchs synthetic oil)
  • fitted left front door seal

Page European did the work, very pleased.

Hard wired the Uniden into the E38, much preferred over wires dangling everywhere. Keen to see how this unit works now

IMG_0470.JPG

• Like 1

Changed out spark plugs. Good god, the person who changed them prior had them on so tight, I had to bust out the super-long breaker bar...

Started swapping the interior across from my parts car.  Sandbeige is not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it!  It's gonna look a bit weird until I've finished, though :o

Beige.JPG

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HardBall66 said:

Started swapping the interior across from my parts car.  Sandbeige is not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it!  It's gonna look a bit weird until I've finished, though :o

Go with what you like Matt :) It should go with the green exterior nicely. It is unusual to have black leather with a light interior tho ....

Just now, TermiPeteNZ said:

Go with what you like Matt :) It should go with the green exterior nicely. It is unusual to have black leather with a light interior tho ....

I have seen some not bad black/beige combinations, but I'll be doing the whole interior including the seats, as the current upholstery is a very uninspiring grey fabric.  Just noticed the other door card has a chunk out of the arm rest :(  Not sure if that's repairable, or whether I'll have to look for another door card.

Changed starter motor, will find out tomorow if i dont have to wait 20 min for solonoid to cool down

before i can start car again after long drive

Walked into garage - looked at two works in progress and a pile of parts, sighed, walked out again.

Anyone know the BMW part numbers for motivation and enthusiasm? I seem to be out of both at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Walked into garage - looked at two works in progress and a pile of parts, sighed, walked out again.

Anyone know the BMW part numbers for motivation and enthusiasm? I seem to be out of both at the moment.

I think I bought the motivation and enthusiasm kit first... I think it is a value line kit?

That'd explain why I made so much progress initially and now can't find them as they'll be at the back of the garage with all subsequent (unused) purchases in front of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

tell us what you're up to, Jon!

Did the ritual of the e39 vapour barrier reseal on the rear doors of the M5.  Good to get that job done... that makes it 10 doors across three e39's now...

On 12 July 2017 at 6:40 PM, Olaf said:

tell us what you're up to, Jon!

Nothing that flash really, bit of maintenance on the 'vert, cambelt and stuff, and playing with a 5-stud rear end on the race car.

none of which is happening at any kind of speed really...

• Like 1

take it slowly mate.  could be worse, you could be garage-less like me.  makes maintennce that much more challenging!

Yeah, true. Wife's car is also overdue a service and new glow plugs as well, that's outside, and can't get it in the garage - and I'm not doing it in the pissing rain. Oh joy!

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

take it slowly mate.  could be worse, you could be garage-less like me.  makes maintennce that much more challenging!

Are you actually garage-less, or do you, like me, have a large garage-shaped storage space? ;)

• Like 1

I'm garage-less.  We had a clear list of requirements when we bought, which included a flat section on which we could build a double garage; a garage, or preferably a double garage.  Instead we landed a walk-up on 3 levels on a steep section, no garage.  At least I have a workshop.  The views won out.

For me, cost to realise a double garage would involve significant earthworks, retention work, major cost to the point that at the end of it, I couldn't afford toys to stock it with ?