Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

List for next house has a garage that is actually level. I never even considered that a garage could be off-level, but no, it really can be off by a foot for every six, which is quite steep when you want to use jack stands. :(

Today, with the excellent help from Kerry of Mosen Euro Parts (Hamilton) we did the RMS, flywheel, clutch, gearbox oil, driveshaft coupling, shifter parts, and O2 sensors on my M5, plus a bit of cleaning etc as we went along.  Six hours in total, pretty straight forward with all the right tools including a hoist and trans jack.  The exhaust took a bit of mucking around to get off and on, one gearbox mounting bolt had rounded off and we had to get "creative" but all in all a great day - fricken cold though...

DSC03465.JPG

DSC03466.JPG

DSC03469.JPG

DSC03464.JPG

DSC03461.JPG

Edited by hqstu
  • Like 8

The 328 has started overheating recently (in traffic mainly but more worryingly on the occasional normal drive) and I finally had some time to take a look. Waterpump, thermostat, housing, radiator and hoses were all replaced about 10 months ago and the system is holding pressure and fluid. Clutch fan is fine.

Jumped the temp sensor, high speed fan working, low speed relay clicks but no fan. High speed alone should be sufficient to prevent temps climbing but I replaced the low speed relay. Both speeds now working when jumped.

Fan still doesn't activate as temps climb. Likely temp sensor/switch failure I suppose.

How much coolant will likely pour out when I remove the sensor (assuming I shove the new one right in)? Pity I threw out the bung that came with the rad.

Will probably get a low temp switch unless that's a dumb idea for some reason?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, M3AN said:

The 328 has started overheating recently (in traffic mainly but more worryingly on the occasional normal drive) and I finally had some time to take a look. Waterpump, thermostat, housing, radiator and hoses were all replaced about 10 months ago and the system is holding pressure and fluid. Clutch fan is fine.

I had similar problems on my M20. Turned out to be the waterpump which I had replaced only a few months earlier, so don't rule that out (not that you have). It was an OEM unit with the plastic/composite impeller and I replaced it with a aftermarket unit with a metal impeller. Problem solved. Just my $0.02. Hope you figure it out! Cooling issues can be a nightmare.

• Like 1

Had rear upper control arms replaced, E38 standard requirement fix

$340

Got home early to try and get something done.
Felt exhausted - work has been too much this week.
So sat and looked at the car instead. Through the rain which started as soon as I got home, just to ensure I wasn't going to get anything sorted. :(

• Like 1

On 14/07/2017 at 6:21 PM, hqstu said:

Today, with the excellent help from Kerry of Mosen Euro Parts (Hamilton) we did the RMS, flywheel, clutch, gearbox oil, driveshaft coupling, shifter parts, and O2 sensors on my M5, plus a bit of cleaning etc as we went along.  Six hours in total, pretty straight forward with all the right tools including a hoist and trans jack.  The exhaust took a bit of mucking around to get off and on, one gearbox mounting bolt had rounded off and we had to get "creative" but all in all a great day - fricken cold though...

Nice work. I used to pay the odd visit to Mr Mosen's garage in Cambridge, probably almost 25 years ago as a teen. I remember getting very close to buying a 2002ti off the other mechanic he used to share the yard with at the time...should have done it. Not that the 260z I bought instead of ever disappointed...good times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NakiTouring said:

with the excellent help from Kerry of Mosen Euro Parts

I also forgot to mention guru Fabian from Coombes J BMW for kindly lending us a couple of tools to get the job done... Thanks very much... 

Over the last few days did some more cleaning and painting of exhaust brackets etc and also changed out the timing chain tensioner, plus a few more clear coat scratches removed down the passengers side...

DSC03473.JPG

• Like 3

Dried up the minor pond that had formed in the spare-wheel well... Blasted boot rubber seal has a tear in it I didn't notice till today. Pulled out a bit over half a litre of water.

• Like 1

Friday: E39 failed WoF for torn front control arm bushings, order from Schmeidmann.

Saturday: Trial fit G260 driveshaft to E30-M30 (40mm short) need to source M20 G240 shaft, see old guibos destroyed, also trans cross member supplied for M30 conversion was wrong item, order both from Schmeidmann along with note to consolidate with previous order.

Saturday: E39 won't start. Tow car to friends shop, scan reveals both keys aren't being recognised...Wait couple hours, car starts again?

Sunday: Fire up E30-M30, much to my surprise, fuel pump wasn't priming but bridged relay to force supply. Open TB and engine dies. Swap ECU, no start, swap ECU back, no start or spark now? Thinking CPS issue.

Monday: E39 doesn't start again, order 2 blank E39 keys and chips. Drive E36 to work, arrive smelling of burnt oil, valve gasket leaking. 

Sigh...Order from Schmeidmann

14 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Friday: E39 failed WoF for torn front control arm bushings, order from Schmeidmann.

Saturday: Trial fit G260 driveshaft to E30-M30 (40mm short) need to source M20 G240 shaft, see old guibos destroyed, also trans cross member supplied for M30 conversion was wrong item, order both from Schmeidmann along with note to consolidate with previous order.

Saturday: E39 won't start. Tow car to friends shop, scan reveals both keys aren't being recognised...Wait couple hours, car starts again?

Sunday: Fire up E30-M30, much to my surprise, fuel pump wasn't priming but bridged relay to force supply. Open TB and engine dies. Swap ECU, no start, swap ECU back, no start or spark now? Thinking CPS issue.

Monday: E39 doesn't start again, order 2 blank E39 keys and chips. Drive E36 to work, arrive smelling of burnt oil, valve gasket leaking. 

Sigh...Order from Schmeidmann

Want to have a valve cover gasket replacement party? I need to replace mine at some point and rebuild the vanos. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Want to have a valve cover gasket replacement party? I need to replace mine at some point and rebuild the vanos. :)

Sounds like a plan, I've got the parts sitting at home to do the 540i aswell, why not make a day of it!

• Like 1

swapped wheels on my M3

from the std 19" m3 ones

to some CSL ones

fitted some new wider tyres etc

wider front rim

and they still weigh a little less than the stock ones

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG

• Like 4

Not so much of a what I did, but what I diagnosed/happened...

E46: Now misfiring... a lot... moving it on the drive is now painful :(

525e: had my uncle who's a mechanic from way back look at it. His suggestions as to what it's ailments were:

• Fix the exhaust leak
  • Fix the ICV that currently does nothing
  • The bearings in the gearbox are stuffed.
  • Inspect/replace the engine mounts
  • Inspect/replace the CSB
  • Inspect/replace the driveshaft guibo
  • Look into a vibration dampener for the drive train.
  • Then come back and diagnose further

This is going to be fun... Annoyingly the "daily" e46 whilst only having one problem is going to be the hardest to figure out.

Also having 4 cars and not being able to drive any of them kinda sucks.

Edited by eliongater
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, eliongater said:

#BMWlife

have two in bits and the other one needs pulling to bits

What the hell do Toyota drivers do with all this spare time they must have is what I want to know

• Like 3

Just now, Young Thrash Driver said:

#BMWlife

have two in bits and the other one needs pulling to bits

What the hell do Toyota drivers do with all this spare time they must have is what I want to know

The silly ones buy a BMW to fill that spare time with. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eliongater said:

525e: had my uncle who's a mechanic from way back look at it. His suggestions as to what it's ailments were:

• Fix the exhaust leak
  • Fix the ICV that currently does nothing
  • The bearings in the gearbox are stuffed.
  • Inspect/replace the engine mounts
  • Inspect/replace the CSB
  • Inspect/replace the driveshaft guibo
  • Look into a vibration dampener for the drive train.
  • Then come back and diagnose further

This is going to be fun... Annoyingly the "daily" e46 whilst only having one problem is going to be the hardest to figure out.

Dam Elijah - sounds frustrating. Sounds like you need codes read for the E46 - should give you a good steer. @promo could you help with this? Priority has to be getting this one sorted. FYI Jon at Auto38 will free code scans for BMW Car Club members.

I've had misfires on both the 545i and M5 and it was coils both times...

Looks like there's plenty on the to-do list for the E28! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eliongater said:

misfiring should be pretty straightfoward to sort out.  You've a good mind for understanding systems, and the fuel and ignition systems - whilst having more inputs/sensors than your e28, can all be understood and diagnosed accurately.  Get the codes, go from there.  I still have a couple of coils you can borrow, gimme a shout.  

I'm picking air leaks or coils, based on little more than past experience and a little intuition. Third would be coolant temp sensor, based on it reading wrong when it's faulty and riching up.

Face it all head on, don't let it get you down mate!  Plenty of folks here to support/help.  :)

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Dam Elijah - sounds frustrating. Sounds like you need codes read for the E46 - should give you a good steer. @promo could you help with this? Priority has to be getting this one sorted. FYI Jon at Auto38 will free code scans for BMW Car Club members.

well there ya go, pay for BMW Club membership, your second scan is basically free!  what a deal!

• Like 1

More test fitting and trimming this weekend.  Its off for paint this week and should be fitted up when Im down in Queenstown next Sunday!

20471891_10155008699920787_27497345_n.thumb.jpg.712a4baa29a6a538fb8ea775afdfc1d9.jpg

20495517_10155008702665787_606361733_o.thumb.jpg.bfc09ee409516d28210379162df98a6d.jpg20526820_10155008702435787_613716964_n.thumb.jpg.10afe53875eaedf0b066a7a9804c6904.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll get the codes and start a new thread with the symptoms. I think I'm leaning towards an air leak more than anything as it's not just one cylinder.

On the plus side I can now put a car in the garage so I don't freeze and I got some new tools for my birthday, which should make the whole process a bit more enjoyable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

I've had misfires on both the 545i and M5 and it was coils both times...

Looks like there's plenty on the to-do list for the E28! 

sure can, give me a buzz on 027 4444 233. I can scan the car, bring up live data, decode, recode ecu's and remap ecu's.

• Like 2

@promo that sounds very helpful, I've got torque lite and it's a pain for looking at codes and exceptionally unfriendly for any real time diagnosis (though knowing what to look for would help).

Can you remap the backfire/burble on downshifts? ;)

I'll likely give you a call/text after work.

Cheers