Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

7 hours ago, eliongater said:

Thanks guys. I'll get the codes and start a new thread with the symptoms. I think I'm leaning towards an air leak more than anything as it's not just one cylinder.

On the plus side I can now put a car in the garage so I don't freeze and I got some new tools for my birthday, which should make the whole process a bit more enjoyable.

screaming out for a project or showroom thread!  

Congrats re the garage, happy days.  time you posted tool pr0n pics too.  

7 hours ago, eliongater said:

I've got torque lite and it's a pain for looking at codes

Just wondering where the difficulty is there?  I find the tool invaluable for quick and dirty code reading on various OBD2 equipped cars that come and go from my drive...

@Olaf if the weather is good this weekend I'll get some. Yeah, I'm pretty happy, no more getting soaked working on the car.

@NakiTouring I find it a pain having to go back and forwards all the time if I want any info about them. Plus I'm beyond quick and dirty, I don't need 10 different codes telling me it's misfiring when it's blatantly obvious already. (In all seriousness though I understand they all have a purpose)

Took the m62b44 block, heads, pistons and crank into Taylor Automotive to be thoroughly checked before I start the engine build.

• Like 2

I paid $500 for this and then did some shenanigans 

it did not come with the wing, but has the correct Schnitzer wing with it. 

FB_IMG_1501470106134.jpg

FB_IMG_1501470102327.jpg

• Like 4

Me?  Today?  Kerb-kissed my left front wheel ascending the car parking building this morning.  Arggghhhhh.   

Oh well, nobody hurt other than my bruised pride. 

I think the cosmos is suggesting I should be walking to work.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Me?  Today?  Kerb-kissed my left front wheel ascending the car parking building this morning.  Arggghhhhh.   

Oh well, nobody hurt other than my bruised pride. 

I think the cosmos is suggesting I should be walking to work.

Isn't that just feckin annoying? ?

will chase up Wheel Magician re Club deal.....

• Like 1

So I think I found the problem...

Fingers crossed replacing this fixes it (pretty sure it will haha)

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.f6ed98b7d0006e56fc3543131f1a5534.JPG

Here's the tool picture you asked for @Olaf

IMG_0107.thumb.JPG.c01856f2280afd453d7c218ce714189e.JPG

• Like 2

Broke my junk repco ratchet wrench trying to undo a wheel bearing nut.

Good - now I can justify getting something decent ;)

Go Bahco! They have an amazing tool set at Mitre 10 right now for like $229, has basically only Metric, so more of the sockets are useful, 1/2" and 1/4", plus a full spanner set and 3 double ended articulated socket spammers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EURO V12 said:

...has basically only Metric...1/2" and 1/4"...

Sounds like an oxymoron ;-)

You can't beat a good tool.

In other news, I took delivery of an intercooler today ;-)

• Like 1

Haha, I meant 1/2" and 1/4" drive, I always found 3/4" to be pointless, just racking up the part count in the tool box without actually giving you more tools (bottom of 3/4" sizes duplicated by 1/4", and higher 3/4" sizes duplicated by 1/2")

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EURO V12 said:

Haha, I meant 1/2" and 1/4" drive, I always found 3/4" to be pointless, just racking up the part count in the tool box without actually giving you more tools (bottom of 3/4" sizes duplicated by 1/4", and higher 3/4" sizes duplicated by 1/2")

Are you trying to say 3/8? 

100 % can't do with out my 3/8set. 

10 hours ago, Kepes said:

What brand is it? If it's repco branded they are good and have a life time warranty 

Darn it, yes, 3/8, mechanicing is more of a resented hobby, I don't enjoy it that much, but I can do it, and prefer it to paying outlandish prices, labour I get, but the mark up on parts too! (Have access to trade pricing parts)... 

15 hours ago, eliongater said:

Here's the tool picture you asked for @Olaf

IMG_0107.thumb.JPG.c01856f2280afd453d7c218ce714189e.JPG

Nice, Koken.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EURO V12 said:

Go Bahco! They have an amazing tool set at Mitre 10 right now for like $229, has basically only Metric, so more of the sockets are useful, 1/2" and 1/4", plus a full spanner set and 3 double ended articulated socket spammers.

My good mate and wrenching buddy has had one of these and thrashed it for the last ten years or so, nothing's broken and they're very useable.

@Kepes  you might want to check out BNT, ask at the counter... the Jonnesway stuff is good quality and well-priced.  

I use Craftsman and Powerbuilt, and my torque wrenches are Jonesway.

Sadly the Craftsman stuff has deteriorated in quality in the last decade as they started moving manufacturing to Asia, but my Craftsman stuff is earlier.

Powerbuilt is good for what it is. I heard the repco branded stuff is made in the same factory - don't know if thats true or not.

Bahco, Jonesway, Kincrome are good too, and compete with Powerbuilt.

I've also found the cheap Toolpro spanners and socket sets from Supacheap to be good value for money if you are watching your budget.

You cant survive without good tools.

If money wasnt an issue I would get snap on.

Personally I would say Koken was a step above all the tool brands I mentioned, or at least level with the earlier Craftsman tools.

Very nice.

Bahco sounds german though, so it's definitely better than everything else.

Okay Actually Swedish originally, that explains the fish and the hook.

But Swedish Women, I rest my case, buy Bahco and have blue eyed babies.

Edited by EURO V12
Googled It
  • Like 1

Koken is probably the best value for money as far as socket sets go on the market. Probably over kill for the weekend mechanic, where the horrible junk outa repco would suffice. 

My boxes are full of koken and snap on. Have a snap on 1/2" drive metric socket set 10-32mm which was about $800. For the same price I could get a comprehensive koken 1/2" set plus a 3/8" one. Throw away the koken ratchets and replace with snap on 80 tooth for best of both worlds. 

Ive managed to crack several snap on 1/2" and 3/8" drive sockets... but no Koken ones, which are a fraction of rrp. Go figure. Luckily they do a no questions asked warranty.

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

Edited by coop
  • Like 1

This is my set, it's pretty rare I need any other tools other than grabbing, pulling and hitting tools. For circa $250 (Cheaper at hornby branch and George Henry Tools) it's pretty hard to beat, I'm not kind to any of it, and nothing has complained.  

The articulated Socket Spanners have been particularly helpful over the years. What isn't obvious it the driving stuff, PH1/2/3/4, PZ1/2/3/4, SL x 4 Sizes, Torx 8 - 40, a few impact sockets and I could go on...

The lift out spanner holder is awesome too.  Photo doesn't show the partition that keeps the upper tools in place, and has a high contrast drawing of every size and it's location for quick reference.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/bahco-socket-set-106-piece-orange-black-and-silver/p/267254

S106_MAIN.thumb.jpg.e2499818d94f550d28f6ff341aa9e389.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EURO V12 said:

This is my set, it's pretty rare I need any other tools other than grabbing, pulling and hitting tools. For circa $250 (Cheaper at hornby branch and George Henry Tools) it's pretty hard to beat, I'm not kind to any of it, and nothing has complained.  

The articulated Socket Spanners have been particularly helpful over the years. What isn't obvious it the driving stuff, PH1/2/3/4, PZ1/2/3/4, SL x 4 Sizes, Torx 8 - 40, a few impact sockets and I could go on...

The lift out spanner holder is awesome too.  Photo doesn't show the partition that keeps the upper tools in place, and has a high contrast drawing of every size and it's location for quick reference.

https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/bahco-socket-set-106-piece-orange-black-and-silver/p/267254

S106_MAIN.thumb.jpg.e2499818d94f550d28f6ff341aa9e389.jpg

yeah that's the one my mate has.  We've wailed on some of the sockets (calculated risk, eye protection worn) with rattle gun and they've all survived.   My only bug-bear is six-point sockets (though I do understand they're stronger than 12 point).  

Bahco is owned by the same conglomerate that has acquired DeWalt, Stanley, Milwaukee tools, Proto, and many other tool companies.  I think most of the manufacturing is done in China.  Doesn't detract from the value of that kit, and for around half a monkey it's hard to beat!

Go for the known good ones. I managed to split a 14mm 3/8" drive Snap-on  socket, and they don't do free replacements any more...

It was a 12pt socket, but undoing a brake caliper bolt with a standard wrenching bar?  Not impressed.

12 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

What brand is it? If it's repco branded they are good and have a life time warranty

It's the cheaper brand they sell... Mechpro or toolpro. Something like that. 

I actually went to repco today and noticed that the repco branded wrench looked to be of decent quality. $70 too. However it has a rubber handle which I'm not a fan of. 

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

@Kepes  you might want to check out BNT, ask at the counter... the Jonnesway stuff is good quality and well-priced

Cheers Olaf I'll check that out. Do you know if they sell just a wrench on it's own or is it a set?

Charlie - that Bahco set look's perfect, everything you want for backyard wrenching and the price is really good. I prefer 6point sockets over the 12 points too.

Ahh, tools. Love em ^_^

On 02/08/2017 at 9:32 PM, Kepes said:

Who trys to undo a wheel bearing nut with a ratchet!? Thats what a power bar is for.

• Like 1