Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

I buy anything well priced, I can break anything and have, so reasonable replacement cost is a priority for me. 
Servicing farm junk on farms kills tools. My dewalt power tools have yet to let me down, thankfully because they're not particularly cheap 
Plus having 1625nm of breakaway torque in one hand rules 

43 minutes ago, polley said:

Who trys to undo a wheel bearing nut with a ratchet!? Thats what a power bar is for.

Me! I had a pipe attached to the handle so it was essentially a power bar... kinda. 

Got an actual power bar today, worked a charm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kepes said:

It's the cheaper brand they sell... Mechpro or toolpro. Something like that. 

I actually went to repco today and noticed that the repco branded wrench looked to be of decent quality. $70 too. However it has a rubber handle which I'm not a fan of. 

Cheers Olaf I'll check that out. Do you know if they sell just a wrench on it's own or is it a set?

Charlie - that Bahco set look's perfect, everything you want for backyard wrenching and the price is really good. I prefer 6point sockets over the 12 points too.

Ahh, tools. Love em ^_^

both.  I bought a couple of nice 3/8 ratchets, and a set of 3/8" and 1/4" torx sockets on a socket keeper strip.  BNT also sell socket sets with your usual ratchets and stuff.

EDIT:  The ratchets were well-priced, well finished (one stubby with an anatomic soft grip handle, one very polished with 80 tooth action), really nice kit.  The tore sockets seem a little nicer than my powerbuilt 1/4" torx sockets.

Edited by Olaf
spelling, update
  • Like 1

Maybe we need a tool thread? I'm happy to start one, just need to clean and sort them... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, eliongater said:

Maybe we need a tool thread? I'm happy to start one, just need to clean and sort them... 

ooh err sounds a bit rude. :ph34r:

seriously though good idea

We kind of have a tool thread, tools for loan at least, I guess the equivalent of a spotted thread, but tool Pr0n would be the go.  I'll post up my impact drivers and external torx set.

1 hour ago, EURO V12 said:

We kind of have a tool thread, tools for loan at least...

No, we need a tool pr0n thread as well, don't want people confused about what they can borrow... I'll have a search and see if I can surface something else wise I'll create a new one and post the link... unless somebody beats me to it, no drama either way.

Edit: this one will probably do? http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/50390-quality-tools-and-kits/

Edited by M3AN

Separate tool pr0n thread is the go.  No confusion is good.

Show us your tools.  Discuss who sells the best tools.  Stories of what you did with your tools.  Who you shared your tool with.  Who broke your tool?  What happened when you went on holiday without your tool?  Have you polished your tools lately?  

• Like 2

This is my impact socket for front wheel bearings, worth 1/5'th what my whole damn socket set cost haha.

image.thumb.jpg.d389db6fc94be9ec4702dae90816ad60.jpg

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

Show us your tools.  Discuss who sells the best tools.  Stories of what you did with your tools.  Who you shared your tool with.  Who broke your tool?  What happened when you went on holiday without your tool?  Have you polished your tools lately?  

I like this ^^

Wheel bearing replaced, everything back together. Success. 

Brake pad wear sensor light on/flashing (as if a bad connection somewhere). Checked wiring, nothing visibly wrong. Checked sensor, again no visible issues. Removed sensor and completed the circuit with a paper clip, light still on intermittently. Tried to explain to WoF guy that the pads and rotors are well within spec. No luck. Back home to remove cluster and more importantly the bulb in question. Success B)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

Separate tool pr0n thread is the go.  No confusion is good.

Please do. This thread is supposed to be more about what you used your tool for today, rather than a showing off the size of your tool schoolboy competition ;-)

• Like 1

Nothing like getting home from work to goodies!

Hopefully I'll have everything sorted and running again tonight.

IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.6e6cadb74e7e507b5cd880663159633f.JPG

7 minutes ago, eliongater said:

Nothing like getting home from work to goodies!

Hopefully I'll have everything sorted and running again tonight.

That was fast! What did FCP charge to send that so promptly? You'll be chuffed to get it running proper again.

36 minutes ago, NakiTouring said:

That was fast! What did FCP charge to send that so promptly? You'll be chuffed to get it running proper again.

29USD ?

Idles better, will take it for a spin after dinner

Edit: 96USD total for an oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, both intake elbows and the right angle pipe connector coming out of the first elbow.

Edited by eliongater

did you get a Series IIA Landy for your birthday as well, @eliongater?  I think we oughta know.

12 minutes ago, Olaf said:

did you get a Series IIA Landy for your birthday as well, @eliongater?  I think we oughta know.

I want a(nother) Series IIA Landie. Love 'em.

Although I have my eye on the biggest Landie ever made, perhaps for conversion into a camper... That'll make all my previous projects look rushed!

A Forward Control military ambulance?  or a 130?  What was the triple-axled jobs the Australian SAS used?  Wonder if you can get those surplus?

Edit:  the mighty Perentie

6x6_Perentie2.jpg

Edited by Olaf
Perentie
  • Like 1

@Olaf No, I bought it earlier this year. It's an ex-army short wheel base radio one (88" FFR), with 24v electrics and a generator the size of my head. I'm currently restoring it with my cousin in Hamilton. Once it's done (enough) I'll post it up in the other euros section. And yes you can buy the 6x6 one's surplus, my Nana nearly bought one ;)

Back to BMWs... It runs much better now, temps are good, power is good, idle is smooth and it's back to being a joy to drive :D

• Like 2

great news Eli, congratulations on geting your e46 happening again.

3 minutes ago, Olaf said:

great news Eli, congratulations on geting your e46 happening again.

Thanks! Now I don't have to turn up to the AGM in a jappa lol

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, eliongater said:

Thanks! Now I don't have to turn up to the AGM in a jappa lol

got three words for you mate:  Buy My Volvo.

4 minutes ago, Olaf said:

got three words for you mate:  Buy My Volvo.

I really need to downsize first...

30 minutes ago, Olaf said:

A Forward Control military ambulance?  or a 130?  What was the triple-axled jobs the Australian SAS used?  Wonder if you can get those surplus?

A 110FC. I'd prefer a 101FC, but they're even rarer (over here).

It says "Over Lander" right on it.

A camper van with an upstairs. :D 

On my way to and from work in the late 90's, I used to walk past the Finsbury Barracks on City Road. Always surprised at the number of FC's still in service at that time.