Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Just now, hqstu said:

Lots of cleaning tonight on the S62, replaced the thermostat, sensors, belts, gaskets, O-rings, etc. etc.  Now all boxed up waiting for the new radiator to arrive...

DSC03532.JPG

DSC03536.JPG

DSC03539.JPG

DSC03540.JPG

'Tis a thing of beauty :)

• Like 1

It's a sin to cover those 8 trumpets with a air box

Just now, crunchy said:

It's a sin to cover those 8 trumpets with a air box

There's more than a few nuts and bolts involved in removing it all, as my back is now reminding me...

22 minutes ago, hqstu said:

There's more than a few nuts and bolts involved in removing it all, as my back is now reminding me...

Have the vanos seals been done?

Because now would be the time to do it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zero said:

Have the vanos seals been done?

Because now would be the time to do it.

If they're not leaking there's no reason to.

The solenoid packs are easy to get to with just removing the intake pipes connecting to the manifold.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zero said:

now would be the time

There's plenty that could have been done... but really no hassle to take apart... no reason to touch vanos, touch wood...

Replaced main belt tensioner and bolts, the idler pulley, popped on an engine cover cap I had been missing, and replaced AUC Sensor.

I did the belts too. My old belts looked ok, and were dated from 2015, the car's done 60k KMs since then and I had the belts from my kit, so I replaced those too. 

Free used belts from 2015 if anyone is keen.

Joke's on me not replacing the AC tensioner... it looks pretty rough and will have to go soon...

Good lord, that fan cowl was rude to me and the fan clutch tools are a pain to get right. I spent more time on the cowl and fan tools than anything else.

@*Glenn* The car no longer rattles at me! :)

Sad note, a mate came over to help and now that I've replaced both tail light gaskets, and the boot rubber seal... He noticed the leak in my boot is from somewhere higher. I need some time to go in there with a torch and someone with a hose to check this with. Might co-opt the wife sometime.

Some pictures below.

Car on my fancy ramps, self-made! :)

Old and new parts.

And a video of how bad the old tensioner was!

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 3

Moved some more stuff in to the new toy shop, can't get all my cars and bikes in but this'll have to do
Really need to organise it, total bloody mess 

Stared some gentle paint correction on the Triumph and have decided to somehow make my style 5s fit it. So something needs to make the 4x114 or re pcd the hubs 
Put the semis back on the 328 and took all the preload out of the front springs 

20170831_163447.jpg

20170831_163617.jpg

20170831_165949.jpg

• Like 1

Is the Triumph a TC or a PI?

I love these cars, both mark I and mark II.

Gabriel,

Looking at the pic of the tensioner they are the old spring loaded type ones correct. Their is an conversion kit available which uses a hydraulic piston. This seems to eliminate the rattling noise with the spring type as the spring looses tension and cannot keep the drive belt tight, it allows it to jump coursing the rattle. The dealer converted mine was not cheap at the time but had no further trouble

As for your boot leak have you removed the boot seal rubber and checked the condition of the metal lip and channel. Also from memory their is a body join some were in the area of the boot hinge what is the sealant  condition and the join like.

• Like 1

Had E53 X5 in for a service and what I thought would be a CV joint - turned out to be new front axles required - so I'll be using the M5 most of the time until that gets sorted! Thank heavens for Autosure MBI (re axles) - eases the pain! 

Plus all the brakes need doing ...

Gave the M5 a service this morning including :

-Engine oil and filter

-Engine air and cabin filters

-PS Reservoir rubber mounts

-Boot struts

-Switched back to oem chrome front grilles

Angle of the camera shot makes it look like the M5 is on the piss but it's not ;)

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allan said:

Gabriel,

Looking at the pic of the tensioner they are the old spring loaded type ones correct. Their is an conversion kit available which uses a hydraulic piston. This seems to eliminate the rattling noise with the spring type as the spring looses tension and cannot keep the drive belt tight, it allows it to jump coursing the rattle. The dealer converted mine was not cheap at the time but had no further trouble

As for your boot leak have you removed the boot seal rubber and checked the condition of the metal lip and channel. Also from memory their is a body join some were in the area of the boot hinge what is the sealant  condition and the join like.

Thanks for the advice on the leak. I think it's near the boot hinge. I've replaced the rubber seal and looked underneath and the lip looked ok. My mate who looked with me is a panelbeater and reckons it's one of the seams near the hinge where there is some slight cracking on the sealant-looking material.

On the tensioner, I actually own a kit for the hydraulic one. I have it listed in the For Sale section. I read a lot about them and the reviews I read suggested the spring type are better on balance and BMW themselves reverted to the spring type for modern cars. I'm not fussed about the spring failing again, FCP Euro will give me a new one when/if that happens. :)

Sweet good here always nice if you can get a replacement one for nothing. As for the leak they can be a pain have struck it when looking for one a flood of water showed little. But were as a small amount over a longer time period and once it started it just came in like a river. It became an involved process but your panel beater mate should set you straight. Is it just bad luck or has the vehicle had a tap in the rear?

Just now, allan said:

Sweet good here always nice if you can get a replacement one for nothing. As for the leak they can be a pain have struck it when looking for one a flood of water showed little. But were as a small amount over a longer time period and once it started it just came in like a river. It became an involved process but your panel beater mate should set you straight. Is it just bad luck or has the vehicle had a tap in the rear?

I was going to say bad luck, but now I think about it, the bumper on that side is ever-so-slightly cracked, so it certainly has had a tap on the rear. When my mate came over while I was doing the tensioner job, I didn't have a lot of time left before kid duty kicked in. Next step is I'm going into the boot with a torch and he's getting a water hose and we'll find that leak! :)

Good on you one step at a time.oh must ask how far do you trust you mate or does he like to pull pranks :ph34r:?. If so make sure you can get to the release catch for the boot lock unless you have fold down rear seats. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allan said:

Good on you one step at a time.oh must ask how far do you trust you mate or does he like to pull pranks :ph34r:?. If so make sure you can get to the release catch for the boot lock unless you have fold down rear seats. :D

My rear seats fold down, I'll be ok! ;)

On 9/1/2017 at 11:58 PM, zero said:

Is the Triumph a TC or a PI?

I love these cars, both mark I and mark II.

It's a 2500TC, nice old yatch 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dirtydoogle said:

It's a 2500TC, nice old yatch 

Great cars.

I had a Mk2 2500TC, but my favourite was an old white Mk1 2000.

• Like 1

I love a good MK1! This one was purchased on a whim, it's very original and straight and was a very silly price. 

Freshened up the old injectors with new Teflon seals and decoupling elements before installing into the replacement N54. I wonder how many people perform this apparently critical process when swapping direct injectors about.

20170908_213008.jpg

Fuel rails installed. Fitted new rear RB inlet (now's the time to do that otherwise time consuming project). Replaced vacuum hoses feeding the wastegate solenoids and sheathed in heat shielding. Installed kittyless downpipes and fitted the oxygen sensors.

She's all ready to go in! Hoping the weather will be kind tomorrow and I can shove it all back into the car...would have started already but the AB's are playing in the neighborhood this eve, so the street's about to get real busy...that and I'm going.

20170909_153004.jpg

took my e46 325i Touring for a WoF.  Needs two rear tyres (one failed, one at 1.5mm), blimey I usually replace them at 3mm. Got my money's worth there.  The speedo's now on 180k kms and pocket change.

RE003 245/40/17 on order, still got 3mm on the fronts, Guess I'll take em down to 2mm.

Got to clean the seatbelts, theyre a little slow to retract.  Not an advisory, though.

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

Got to clean the seatbelts, theyre a little slow to retract.  Not an advisory, though.

Cleaning them is a real PITA and can break down the grease in the mechanism. Consider using silicon spray - fully extract the seatbelt and spray both sides of the first metre or so with silicon spray, slowly fully retract and extend the belt 4 or 5 times. Wipe both sides of the belt with a cloth around where it passes over your shoulder down to your lap to prevent any excess silicon transferring to your clothes. Profit.

• Like 2

Got the bugger in, in between the showers, the odd bit of sunshine and even a hail storm! Engine and gearbox installed together, dropped the subframe a couple of inches to pave the way, but there wasn't much space to spare, lots of maneuvering and jiggling about. Probably another weekend or two before it'll be ready to fire up...can't wait!

20170910_174940.jpg