Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Cleaning them is a real PITA and can break down the grease in the mechanism. Consider using silicon spray - fully extract the seatbelt and spray both sides of the first metre or so with silicon spray, slowly fully retract and extend the belt 4 or 5 times. Wipe both sides of the belt with a cloth around where it passes over your shoulder down to your lap to prevent any excess silicon transferring to your clothes. Profit.

Thanks Dave, I'll do that.

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Thanks Dave, I'll do that.

Cover your windows with a towel... ask me how I know that's a good idea! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I thought I might spray onto a microfibre towel, then wipe on to the belt. ;)

• Like 2

Got around to fixing up the dents in the rear end of the E36 over the weekend.

Didn't end up respraying the top edge of the bumper, you can still see cracking in the paint but buffed up OK for now.

1 (Small).jpg

2 (Small).jpg

3 (Small).jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lucan said:

Got around to fixing up the dents in the rear end of the E36 over the weekend.

Didn't end up respraying the top edge of the bumper, you can still see cracking in the paint but buffed up OK for now.

Impressive work! :)

CCV replacement step one accomplished today. Removed intake, air boots, ICV, throttle body, CCV, DISA valve. CCV hoses disintegrated in my hands. Throttle body was black and yellow. I wish I'd gotten a before photo. ICV was sticking something mad. Both shiny clean now. It started pouring buckets while I was out there, will have to finish tomorrow. In all I'll be replacing throttle body gasket, ICV grommet, dip stick gasket, CCV system. 

Boxed up old old parts in easy to find boxes with labels and boxed old parts in a nicely organised fashion. Check out them CCV hoses. They just disintegrated. 

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

• Like 4

Apart from a well overdue clean, got a letter from NZTA stating my 530 has been sold or disposed of and the  motor vehicle register has been updated such that I am no longer the registered person.... I mean... WTF?!?!?!  :angry:

41 minutes ago, hqstu said:

Apart from a well overdue clean, got a letter from NZTA stating my 530 has been sold or disposed of and the  motor vehicle register has been updated such that I am no longer the registered person.... I mean... WTF?!?!?!  :angry:

Wasn't me! Oh well, time to go see what she'll do :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hqstu said:

Yeah sorry I decided I wanted it back! Err I mean... isn't it mad that anybody at all can file the paperwork and claim "dibs" on your car??? I assume your numberplate details are hidden via NZTA's "opt out" system?

@Gabe79 how are the heater hoses under the intake manifold? Ideal time to do this job is now. Mine were so close to total failure they were actually leaking coolant. I recently went through all this and put the cold weather CCV setup in, not sure if the cold weather package is a waste of time in NZ but that is what it came with... anyway, much Vaseline was needed to make it all fit as the insulation makes it quite bulky

Received a new rocker cover gasket for the 520i today, it has been the driest BMW engine I have ever had until it started dripping oil onto the exhaust mani. Shouted myself an FCP Euro t-shirt too, for a laugh.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

@Gabe79 how are the heater hoses under the intake manifold? Ideal time to do this job is now. Mine were so close to total failure they were actually leaking coolant. I recently went through all this and put the cold weather CCV setup in, not sure if the cold weather package is a waste of time in NZ but that is what it came with... anyway, much Vaseline was needed to make it all fit as the insulation makes it quite bulky

Haven't looked at them hoses. Can you link a part number so I can go to a diagram for it? I'll have a look at them tomorrow. I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be a two-week job like the oil filter housing gasket turned into. :)

Do the plastic heater pipes (out of the head) too while you are in there. I have replaced them on cars at work after they have failed.

Had to replace my CCV last year, while doing that i did all the breather pipes, manifold/throttle body seals, above heater pipes & thermostat all as preventative maintenance.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

Can someone link these pipes/hoses under the intake manifold y'all are referring to? :)

EDIT: Do you all mean 5, 6, and 8 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DT62-EUR---E39-BMW-530i&diagId=11_2638 ?

7 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Received a new rocker cover gasket for the 520i today, it has been the driest BMW engine I have ever had until it started dripping oil onto the exhaust mani. Shouted myself an FCP Euro t-shirt too, for a laugh.

Wouldn't Vaseline result in premature deterioration due to the foam reacting with the petroleum?  Plumbing supply stores sell large tubes of water-based "medical lubricant" that's used for lubricating waste seals for toilets etc, it's inexpensive and ideal for that sort of job.

Hmmm FCP T-shirt liked some of the designs, not so keen on the polyester mix.

They will be clogged nearly solid and brittle enough that you could break in half just by crushing with your hand... the ends will snap off leaving their neck stuck in the block. They are BMW's usual rubbish plastic so age is not kind to them.

11531705210 and 11537502525, part #6 and #8 in your realoem link. To do the job involves removing the intake manifold, so replacement intake mani gaskets are needed too.

For the love of God be careful when undoing your remote positive battery terminal off of the intake... the bolt is very thin and prone to snapping, and BMW does not sell replacements.

• Like 1

No way I'm removing that manifold today! Plus, I'd have to wait for the gasket and hoses to arrive...:)

Getting to where I am now was only possible in an efficient way because I'd done the oil filter housing gasket before. It's like I'm building up to larger jobs. :) 

I've watched a few videos and those hoses are also zip tied to the manifold, or the block eh, that looks like a right pain to remove.

Quote..
  • Like 1

The cable ties aren't an issue, once the manifold is out of the way there is room for Africa. From memory they were only there to hold some cables in place, the pipes are solid plastic and quite secure once fitted- somebody else who has done more than one, and not in the middle of the night, may remember their function more clearly.

@Olaf I considered the degradation issue and decided to go ahead regardless- it doesn't really get that cold here (cold enough to make the CCV freeze, anyway) so it wouldn't be critical, and it is quite secure anyhow so any extra room it might have shouldn't result in it flopping about and wrecking itself. I'm sure any water based... erm... "medical lubricant"... would be fine. Just be very upfront with Her Indoors about what (who?) it is for :P

• Like 1

Oh the interesting conversations this might lead to...

I saw in the various videos the amount of room to be had with the intake manifold off. I am just not quite confident enough of my ability to put everything back in once I've taken it off! :)

Edit: two hours later, CCV all replaced. I think the removal of old parts was worse than the putting parts back in. 

6 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

@Olaf  I'm sure any water based... erm... "medical lubricant"... would be fine. Just be very upfront with Her Indoors about what (who?) it is for :P

you walk around with that hanging out your back pocket it the supermarket and I'm sure you'd get some intersting looks.  I must grab a snap on my phone, it's in my plumbing box in the basement.  I'll post it here for sh!ts & giggles.

On 9/13/2017 at 9:46 AM, Young Thrash Driver said:

The cable ties aren't an issue, once the manifold is out of the way there is room for Africa. From memory they were only there to hold some cables in place, the pipes are solid plastic and quite secure once fitted- somebody else who has done more than one, and not in the middle of the night, may remember their function more clearly.

I recall having some difficulty with the hard fuel lines and loom thats clipped or zip-tied further back towards the firewall? Once the manifold is off the rest was pretty straight forward. My old 530i plastic hose had cracked at the bend into the block and when the engine was hot you could hear a hissing noise if you got close enough which prompted me to replace it lol.

Sounds like you're all done now anyway Gabe

Edited by Lucan
  • Like 1

All and and dusted till the next time! 

I have bushings and link arms to go next week. Wheels and tyres happen about the same time, then an alignment. 

I have a valve cover to replace and a vanos to rebuild, a fuel filter to replace and a transmission gasket to replace. ?

• Like 2

Slammed a cam belt and water pump on the 316. 

But the pump supplied is incorrect, turns out Gates don't do one for an e36 M40 motor as their part number is the same as an m44 (which I have and is indeed not the same) they have supplied me with an e30 m40 one. 

So if anyone wants a new Rapeco pump for an e30 M40 send me a message, free to anyone with a decent story including shipping 

Pulled the box out of the 325 racecar car and began stripping the loom down to remove all the junk 

Pulled the engine, box and rear end out of my other 325, will list the engine and box for sale here soon 

Been a busy week so far! 

Replaced fuel filter on the 530i. Holy crap, that took a lot longer than I thought it would. That bracket is a pain! It might have been easier with the car on stands, or a lift, but on ramps it was an unpleasant job. Long overdue, as it turns out... The filter that was on there is the original from 2001! I came out having inhaled quite a lot of fumes and feel quite dizzy now, despite doing it outside in the open air. Warning for anyone else doing this...

Pics of new and old filter. Notice the weight difference and that date stamp...

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

Started putting things back together again after pulling the head off the race car. Blowing coolant out due to exhaust gases getting in the system, pressure check of head came back good, and a bit of a weld on a corroded wateway should do the trick fingers crossed. Now to get the whole lot back together and adjusted - fun, fun, fun.

Wife's E46 has had the airbags done, but found another couple of issues that need attending to...

And the convertible is still sitting there patiently waiting for some new parts and TLC.

I am beginning to get a bit over all these car problems, they are supposed to be "fun" right??